882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Okay, that is funny. Nice.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I have family that goes to MCHS in Kentucky. I worked with parents that had children who went to Heath High School shooting. The first we believe was bullying, the latter, the same and the boy came from rich family. Here in Eau Claire, bullying is not tolerated at all to the point that parents would be called out (shaming)and made known to everyone in the city.

I believe that if your child or know anything that would cause something you need to tell someone. They did in this case and ignored it and society paid the price. This is the fault of the police, the FBI and anyone in charge. They arrested the adult who allowed this individual to do this, good, we need more responses like this.

No person under 21 should be allowed to purchase weapons.

I could go off on the tangent and say that preventing gun sales would help, it won't, look at my birth city, Chicago. Strictest gun laws in the country. Yeah, that is what I thought, not stopping the violence.

This is an American problem with our society and mentality, not the NRA. Europe do not have stores that allow purchases of guns, but if you want one, you can get one illegally quite easily. The main continent it is much easier than British Isles. We could adopt their system but good luck in getting everyone on signing off because the mental/psychological part will be hard to get pass since we'd abandoned them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    This is anecdotal but I can tell you I have seen much more coverage of Aaron Feis on social media than the shooter.

This is a big deal, IMO. Twitter and Facebook have a major role in masking the identity of these shooters.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Judd Legum‏Verified account @JuddLegum

This is the 19th school shooting this year
    we still have 10 1/2 months to go in 2018

not just mass shooting like at dance halls,bars or malls

schools!

Will anything change ?
    Not while the NRA is in charge

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/201...t-all-of-them/

The NRA’s largest 2016 outlay was the $30.3 million it spent in support of Trump.

but hey, a number of you will get a couple hundred a month ----
    Fake news. One of those '19' school shoots was at a local college here where a gun was accidentally discharged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Fake news. One of those '19' school shoots was at a local college here where a gun was accidentally discharged.
    Anything to push a narrative for gun confiscation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    #guncontrolnow

What does that mean.

What does that look like

How does that stop this shooting

You keep demanding specifics but never offer any of your own
    Never heard back on this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Never heard back on this
    But more important how would any of these reforms stop any of these shootings. Types and variation of these guns have been available for decades. The phenomenon of mass shootings is a relatively recent change. Its not the guns that are the problem and until everyone realizes that we will never find a solution.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    A serious question... has there ever been a shooting on schools/campuses that don't ban guns?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Where angels fear to tread...

So much in this story. Family disintegration, governmental failure (local and national), mental health, role of entertainment, ease of getting weapons, politicians being politicians, lobbying groups doing what they do, sinful hearts. The size of the problem shouldn't deter seeking to figure out broad and specific solutions. The magistrate has a responsibility to deter sin/evil. Social institutions like family and church have a responsibility to seek to reach the heart. And we all probably ought to look into the mirror and see how we are contributing to the problem...
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 02-17-2018 at 08:04 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-17-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    That's misleading in several ways. It's not even apples to oranges. It's, like, one apple to a bunch of asparagus.

PS, the NRA outspent the top-spending labor org in 2016 by a huge margin.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

mqt (02-18-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    But more important how would any of these reforms stop any of these shootings. Types and variation of these guns have been available for decades. The phenomenon of mass shootings is a relatively recent change. Its not the guns that are the problem and until everyone realizes that we will never find a solution.
    Saying that the guns aren't the problem is an incredibly myopic evasion of the fact that the guns, and their kind, quantity, and cost are clearly a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Saying that the guns aren't the problem is an incredibly myopic evasion of the fact that the guns, and their kind, quantity, and cost are clearly a problem.
    They are not the problem. They make the problem more risky that's for sure. But to say they are part of the problem is a cop put for not dealing with the actual rots in our society.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    What have we each been wrong about when it comes to this argument? I know we all make our usual arguments. This time, is there something maybe you are a little less certain about at least? Something you've actually been wrong about in how you've typically argued?

I'm wondering about staggered licensing (older to get a license for a pistol or even older for a semi-automatic). Higher taxes on more lethal weapons or ammunition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'm a free market guy. I like market-based solutions. I would look to tobacco taxes as a model for what we might do with guns and ammo. Make the price very high. Divert some of the proceeds to a compensation fund for the victims and families of gun violence. Higher tobacco taxes have greatly reduced smoking. It is not a perfect solution but it works.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The only thing a tax on weapons does is restrict the second amendment from the middle to poor class of people. If thats what you're willing to do then so be it but don't pretend that a tax isn't an effective repeal for those that can't afford to pay.

However, for those that are willing to go down in a blaze of glory a one time expenditure with no future plans is meaningless.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The only thing a tax on weapons does is restrict the second amendment from the middle to poor class of people. If thats what you're willing to do then so be it but don't pretend that a tax isn't an effective repeal for those that can't afford to pay.

However, for those that are willing to go down in a blaze of glory a one time expenditure with no future plans is meaningless.
    Well the idea IS to reduce the amount of guns and ammo in circulation. I really don't care about the redistributive aspects of the tax. Tobacco taxes are regressive too. But I am in favor of some income redistribution/safety net for the poor. Those kinds of programs can offset the regressive impact of gun/ammo/tobacco taxes.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-18-2018 at 05:35 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Well the idea IS to reduce the amount of guns and ammo in circulation. I really don't care about the redistributive aspects of the tax. Tobacco taxes are regressive too. But I am in favor of some income redistribution/safety net for the poor. Those kinds of programs can offset the regressive impact of gun/ammo/tobacco taxes.
    The tobacco tax is to discourage kids from smoking because it is killing them. They include obvious addictive elements that begin a culture of smoking. This absolutely has to be discouraged at a young age when the kids are most vulnerable. Making them expensive makes sense as kids cannot afford that type of expense while they are in the developmental years.

I just don't see the correlation personally.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The tobacco tax is to discourage kids from smoking because it is killing them. They include obvious addictive elements that begin a culture of smoking. This absolutely has to be discouraged at a young age when the kids are most vulnerable. Making them expensive makes sense as kids cannot afford that type of expense while they are in the developmental years.

I just don't see the correlation personally.
    Higher prices will reduce purchases...of just about anything. Having a large number of guns and ammunition in circulation is as much of a social bad as smoking. There is an enormous social benefit from reducing both. Make the taxes high enough and you can reduce other taxes. Someday someone will be smart enough to offer a deal along these lines to the voters. Tax guns/ammo/tobacco/carbon fuels and eliminate all other taxes. Be rad or be square.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-18-2018 at 05:50 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Higher prices will reduce purchases...of just about anything. Having a large number of guns and ammunition in circulation is as much of a social bad as smoking. There is an enormous social benefit from reducing both. Make the taxes high enough and you can reduce other taxes. Someday someone will be smart enough to offer a deal along these lines to the voters. Tax guns/ammo/tobacco/carbon fuels and eliminate all other taxes.
    Guns do not kill as many people as smoking. Its not even close.

Something had to be done about cigarette smoking. They pushed the culture that it was 'cool' to smoke for decades and preyed on children.

Everyone talks about the carnage guns causes and of course they do. But what about all the lives they save? How come this isn't discussed?
    Natural Immunity Croc