Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland School Shooting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    And to be praised by so called adults for skipping a day of school.
    The indoctrination of our youth between politics and sexuality is an absolute disgrace. We don't allow kids to be kids anymore and it's driven by a globalist agenda that is looking to seize power.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Thought we were having a good discussion a few pages back looking at actual data... but unfortunately the emotionalists got back involved and derailed the thread.

Let's get back to the data.
    Indeed. Nebraska struck me as the most interesting data point in those two graphs of the states you put up. What's up with Nebraska? Anyone been there lately?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    What would you call all of these protests going on, or really any of the protests that we've seen over the past year and a half, if not a toddler's fit of temper? At least we won't have to send in a cleanup crew when thethe is finished like we will when these "young adults" don't interest CNN's cameras anymore.

And despite all of the lawyer and politician tricks to the contrary over the past couple of centuries, the Bill of Rights says "shall not be infringed." Yes, our government has ignored that to diminish the rights of the peons they rule over but there are no reasons that language was used.
    Agreed. Like I mocked 57 for earlier, the idea of leftists complaining about others whining is so ironic.

I think they're organizing another "scream at the sky" rally

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Indeed. Nebraska struck me as the most interesting data point in those two graphs of the states you put up. What's up with Nebraska? Anyone been there lately?
    That surprised me as well. All I can think of is that many gun owners there didn't want to admit to owning guns. I would love to know the real answer.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    That surprised me as well. All I can think of is that many gun owners there didn't want to admit to owning guns. I would love to know the real answer.
    What I think happened is someone smuggled Switzerland into the middle of the United States. This needs investigation.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What I think happened is someone smuggled Switzerland into the middle of the United States. This needs investigation.
    I wish someone had told me about this when I was a young man. I would have spent a lot of my dating years in Nebraska.
    Go get him!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (02-22-2018), Tapate50 (02-22-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    What would you call all of these protests going on, or really any of the protests that we've seen over the past year and a half, if not a toddler's fit of temper? At least we won't have to send in a cleanup crew when thethe is finished like we will when these "young adults" don't interest CNN's cameras anymore.

And despite all of the lawyer and politician tricks to the contrary over the past couple of centuries, the Bill of Rights says "shall not be infringed." Yes, our government has ignored that to diminish the rights of the peons they rule over but there are no other reasons for that language to be used.
    Ok, so we're clear: you believe in an absolute and unlimited right to bear arms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ok, so we're clear: you believe in an absolute and unlimited right to bear arms.
    I do not, and I think you and I have agreed pretty substantially on reasonable limits in the past. What I disagree with is this country's failure to treat this right with the same respect as the other rights that were defined in the Bill of Rights. By all means, make reasonable restrictions. I don't want spurned lovers shooting down passenger planes just because they are mad at one person on it, and I don't want 12 year old kids to buy Glocks with money they earned mowing lawns.

There are plenty of regulations that we can agree on, and those regulations should be added to the 2nd amendment in the prescribed manner. That isn't as easy as passing a law when one side or the other has control of the White House and Congress, but it also isn't supposed to be.

The First Amendment often results in riots, arson, and beatings.

The Fourth Amendment often results in criminals going free.

The Fifth Amendment often results in criminals going free and probably wastes more of Congress' and CSPAN's time than anything else.

The Eighth Amendment has been taken so far that we now pay for convicted criminals to get college degrees and watch HBO while they are being "punished" for their crimes.

The Ninth Amendment has somehow been interpreted to grant women the right to an abortion.

Why do we hold all of these other amendments in the Bill of Rights to be so sacrosanct, despite many of them often resulting in outcomes that are bad for society? Why do we interpret each of these other rights as broadly as possible? Because anyone who sits down and reads the Bill of Rights, the entire Bill of Rights, quickly understands that it's purpose is to guarantee these rights as fully as possible to citizens, and to limit the power of government. So why don't we also hold the Second as sacrosanct? Why don't we also interpret the Second as broadly as possible? The answer seems to be political expediency.
    Last edited by Jaw; 02-22-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I thought this one was funny:

Go get him!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    "articulate and confident" says our resident flower child.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I thought this one was funny:

The left doesn't care about school safety. They are just using them as pawns to push their authoritarian policies on the public.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    That's what you get when you script an event like this. CNN is trash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    This is the argument the left is making...

"Hi, please take this down," Schur wrote on Twitter. "I would prefer you not use a GIF from a show I worked on to promote your pro-slaughter agenda"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I do not, and I think you and I have agreed pretty substantially on reasonable limits in the past. What I disagree with is this country's failure to treat this right with the same respect as the other rights that were defined in the Bill of Rights. By all means, make reasonable restrictions. I don't want spurned lovers shooting down passenger planes just because they are mad at one person on it, and I don't want 12 year old kids to buy Glocks with money they earned mowing lawns.

There are plenty of regulations that we can agree on, and those regulations should be added to the 2nd amendment in the prescribed manner. That isn't as easy as passing a law when one side or the other has control of the White House and Congress, but it also isn't supposed to be.

The First Amendment often results in riots, arson, and beatings.

The Fourth Amendment often results in criminals going free.

The Fifth Amendment often results in criminals going free and probably wastes more of Congress' and CSPAN's time than anything else.

The Eighth Amendment has been taken so far that we now pay for convicted criminals to get college degrees and watch HBO while they are being "punished" for their crimes.

The Ninth Amendment has somehow been interpreted to grant women the right to an abortion.

Why do we hold all of these other amendments in the Bill of Rights to be so sacrosanct, despite many of them often resulting in outcomes that are bad for society? Why do we interpret each of these other rights as broadly as possible? Because anyone who sits down and reads the Bill of Rights, the entire Bill of Rights, quickly understands that it's purpose is to guarantee these rights as fully as possible to citizens, and to limit the power of government. So why don't we also hold the Second as sacrosanct? Why don't we also interpret the Second as broadly as possible? The answer seems to be political expediency.
    I think one could argue that it is interpreted broadly, particularly relative to how it's been interpreted in the past. The Heller decision alone is an incredibly novel and broad interpretation. One can also reasonably argue that it is held as sacrosanct, certainly by a healthy swath of the population.

I'd also suggest that the cost/benefit equations for the various amendments are fairly disparate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Damn, y'all are pretty hard on a bunch of kids who just spent hours hiding in closets while a teenager with a legally-acquired battlefield weapon murdered their friends, classmates, and coaches.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (02-22-2018), goldfly (02-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Damn, y'all are pretty hard on a bunch of kids who just spent hours hiding in closets while a teenager with a legally-acquired battlefield weapon murdered their friends, classmates, and coaches.
    Well one just said it might as well had been Rubio pulling the trigger.

That's a frightening sentiment and I think we should all be quick to condemn that sentiment.

Like I said Julio, I've seen more negative press against the NRA than against Cruz. Why is that the case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The kids are doing kid things. I take more issue with the adults who are forgetting to act like adults.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The kids are doing kid things. I take more issue with the adults who are forgetting to act like adults.

Ari Berman
    ‏Verified account @AriBerman
    3h3 hours ago

58 years ago this month, 4 North Carolina A&T students

held first major sit-in of civil rights movement at Greensboro Woolworth.

They were 18 & 19 at time. A reminder of the power young activists have

The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I dunno... i don't think the NRA is the big scary monster the left claims it is. I'd be curious to see which win a poll of scariest topics between the NRA or Russia!

Anywho... my suspicion is that the NRA isn't interested in studying gun violence because the left uses it to blame the NRA. I'm 100% serious when I say this - but I have seen more criticism of the NRA than the shooter since the Florida tragedy.

But then again, if the NRA has effectively shut down important study, I blame the corrupt politicians for allowing it to happen. I'd like to do something about that, but as you've reminded me many times, we're not quite ready for unicorns.

Also - I think the NRA is extremely weak on gun rights
    Yeah, lets elect some politicians who aren't bought by industry lobbies but don't think the government should be studying or regulating anything. Sounds like a real recipe for improvement.

As for whether or not America is ready for the unicorns...I'm on mobile now and can't easily clip the bit that I want to post, but I'd suggest everyone google the 2016 Libertarian Party debate discussion of drivers' licenses and decide if we're ready for this particular herd of unicorns.

As for the power and reach of the NRA, it's odd to see so many folks here denying it. It's not necessarily about their buying votes with campaign contributions (though that's certainly a component) but the fact that they have the ability to substantially fund and promote a primary challenger for Rs who don't toe the line. I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of R politicians who don't personally subscribe to the NRA's agenda but are too chicken**** to cross them.