Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Why do you want to trivialize this discussion with comments like this.

Now I am forced to address the dumb question. No, I don't want my fiance or some 80 year old teach who's never touched a gun having one.

I want my best friend who goes to the range three times a month having one.

And I want any potential mass shooter to know there is a possibility they get shot by a teacher and the embarrassment that will yield
    Trivialize: Go look at what the head of the NRA said yesterday. I didn't make up that phrase either. It's a common reaction from the right.

I'm glad you don't want your fiancee or an 80-year-old teacher having one. There is a proposal from the White House right now to train and arm teachers, a lot of them. If this is what we're going to do, it would take a good bit to be very effective because schools are big buildings. What if a person goes and shoots up a gymnasium full of PE students, but the teacher with the gun is across campus? You're going to have to train a lot of people, which will take time away from actually trying to improve education. Where's the money coming from? Who's paying for it? Are we going to start hearing pledges from politicians that they will not support tax increases for teacher firearm training? If there's going to be an incentive for them to get private firearm training in the form of bonuses, where's the bonus money coming from? A lot of them already get paid like **** to begin with.

I respect your position of wanting those with carry permits and knowledge of using the gun to be able to carry at school. As the military serviceman points out in the editorial I posted a couple pages back, there's much more that goes into those situations than knowing how to be a good marksman.

A lot of these shooters go to these schools, probably knowing there is at least one armed school resource officer. I don't think potential embarrassment is on their mind when they're getting ready to carry something like this out.
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 02-23-2018 at 10:59 AM.