Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Violence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Marijuana for 19 year old with autism. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...oil/100381156/

http://www.newsweek.com/2018/02/23/r...re-806758.html
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    THC and CBD are profoundly different.

CBD doesn't get you stoned ("you never hear about a school shooter being a stoner").

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Ok and how many school shooters have autism? Marijuana has a calming effect so it stands to reason some of these shooters wouldnt have done it if they smoked weed.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Marijuana doesn't universally have a calming effect.

Have you ever smoked a strand of sativa?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Marijuana doesn't universally have a calming effect.

Have you ever smoked a strand of sativa?
    I enjoy going for long runs after I smoke.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So 18 year olds are old enough to carry a real assault weapon into battle in Syria, but not to buy a single shot .22 rifle for squirrel hunting? She's grandstanding on fresh graves. Again. I suppose it's to be expected, she needs to fundraise to fend off a primary challenge from her left, but she's still wrong.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    So 18 year olds are old enough to carry a real assault weapon into battle in Syria, but not to buy a single shot .22 rifle for squirrel hunting? She's grandstanding on fresh graves. Again. I suppose it's to be expected, she needs to fundraise to fend off a primary challenge from her left, but she's still wrong.
    I get what you're saying, but it does seem janked up to me that an 18-yo-can purchase a semi-automatic rifle.

Teenagers use them in the service, yeah. Under what conditions? In a rigorously controlled, highly regimented and risk-averse context. This doesn't seem like a very compelling point to me.

Semi-auto rifles (in concert with acessories that make them more deadly) are a bright, shiny, and very relevant thing in the specific conversation of school attacks and mass shootings, but a bit of a red herring in the overall gun violence picture. Handguns are used in exponentially more crimes and other incidents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but it does seem janked up to me that an 18-yo-can purchase a semi-automatic rifle.

Teenagers use them in the service, yeah. Under what conditions? In a rigorously controlled, highly regimented and risk-averse context. This doesn't seem like a very compelling point to me.

Semi-auto rifles (in concert with acessories that make them more deadly) are a bright, shiny, and very relevant thing in the specific conversation of school attacks and mass shootings, but a bit of a red herring in the overall gun violence picture. Handguns are used in exponentially more crimes and other incidents.
    I agree with you that for whatever reason, AR-15s have become the weapon of choice for these attacks. I believe it's a function of crazy person psychology and not of weapon utility, but it's definitely a trend. It's one of several reasons I would never own one. They've become tainted in my eyes.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm not a gun person; far from it, as I'm sure you can infer. I grew up in a household where I wasn't even allowed to have a toy gun. My personal feeling has always been that a gun in my household would be more likely to harm someone in the household then it would be to protect them. I'm quite comfortable with that calculus, but I recognize that other people make different choices. My in-laws, for example, are gun folks, albeit hyper-safety conscious. My brother, who grew up in the same household, is a gun owner and hell of a marksman who's carried ARs and a variety of handguns in a professional capacity.

I guess what I'm saying is that the tribe is not altogether foreign to me, but it still kind of blows my mind that people are making purchasing decisions about relatively easily available consumer goods on the basis of how efficacious they are at killing or maiming other human beings. I just can't get my head around that.

I'm not picking on you, Jaw, but you've written a lot, and eloquently, about how you feel that our culture is debased and broken...that's how I feel about our national gun culture. To me, it's a sickness, a product of artificial fear, and a misdirected power fantasy.

I'm not icked out by my in-laws hunting deer and wild pigs on their property. Hell, I eat the stuff they kill and am thankful for it. But I am profoundly disturbed by the robust marketing of and lobbying for tools that are intended to kill or maim other human beings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    I fully admit that I am biased in regards to guns because I honestly could not care less if they were banned in the USA. I have shot a gun before and was like "Really that's it?". It was boring as **** to hunt so I never got into guns. When I see the carnage guns have helped create, I dislike them further. Mass killing machines whose sole purpose is to kill.

That said, I fully recognize that guns will not be illegal in my life time. At the same time, I would love if I could go to a movie and not have to scope out the nearest exit prior to the show starting just in case some crazy asshole decides to shoot the place up. I will never understood why a weapon similar to an AR-15 is accessible for civilian use but have been told it is a "fun gun to fire" by friends and coworkers of mine so it should be legal. I still have yet to receive an adequate answer on the purpose of a gun besides to kill/wound a target so it is why I hate gun so much.

I feel heartbroken for those who have suffered losses from gun violence. It is something I hope to never relate to. I wish at the very least we could eliminate crazy people from acquiring guns so that at least when I go watch the new Marvel movie I could relax in peace instead of worrying if some asshole is going to shoot the place up.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    My three step plan.

1. Make schools gun free zones.

2. If for some reason, lunatics don't follow the first law, make it illegal to shoot people

3. If the maniac didn't listen to law 1 or 2, then make guns illegal and no psycho would ever dream of possessing a gun.

Much like our drug war, problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    My three step plan.

1. Make schools gun free zones.

2. If for some reason, lunatics don't follow the first law, make it illegal to shoot people

3. If the maniac didn't listen to law 1 or 2, then make guns illegal and no psycho would ever dream of possessing a gun.

Much like our drug war, problem solved.
    Funny you should say that, because there's actual evidence to prove that it would work.

Many drugs are produced elsewhere and illegally transported here to fulfill a demand. The raw materials for guns can't be grown on global south hillsides, the finished product cooked up in ad hoc laboratories, and easily transported in massive quantities.

Other than that, though, your analysis is spot on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Funny you should say that, because there's actual evidence to prove that it would work.

Many drugs are produced elsewhere and illegally transported here to fulfill a demand. The raw materials for guns can't be grown on global south hillsides, the finished product cooked up in ad hoc laboratories, and easily transported in massive quantities.

Agreed steps 1 and 2 have worked so well that step 3 is a slam dunk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    One Teacher’s Brilliant Strategy to Stop Future School Shootings—And It’s Not About Guns

"Every Friday afternoon, she asks her students to take out a piece of paper and write down the names of four children with whom they’d like to sit the following week. The children know that these requests may or may not be honored. She also asks the students to nominate one student who they believe has been an 
exceptional classroom citizen that week. All ballots are privately submitted to her.

And every single Friday afternoon, after the students go home, she takes out those slips of paper, places them in front of her, and studies them. 
She looks for patterns....

Chase’s teacher is looking for lonely children. She’s looking for children who are struggling to connect with other children. She’s identifying the little ones who are falling through the cracks of the class’s social life. She is discovering whose gifts are going unnoticed 
by their peers. And she’s pinning down—right away—who’s being bullied and who is doing the bullying...

As Chase’s teacher explained 
this simple, ingenious idea, I stared at her with my mouth hanging open. “How long have you been using this system?” I said.

Ever since Columbine, she said. Every single Friday afternoon since Columbine.
    Good Lord.

This brilliant woman watched 
Columbine knowing that all violence begins with disconnection. All outward violence begins as inner loneliness. Who are our next mass shooters and how do we stop them? She watched that tragedy knowing that children who aren’t being noticed may eventually resort to being noticed by any means necessary."
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts

Doesn’t the analogy fall apart when you consider there are over 300 million (non perishable, for the most part) guns already in circulation? It’s not like drugs where you can (theoretically) choke off new supply and wait for the inventory to go bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Doesn’t the analogy fall apart when you consider there are over 300 million (non perishable, for the most part) guns already in circulation? It’s not like drugs where you can (theoretically) choke off new supply and wait for the inventory to go bad.
    You could choke off ammunition.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You could choke off ammunition.
    From other counties? Might need to a build a wall then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Speaking purely hypothetically here, but it would be possible--in a world where such a ban were politically feasible--to take aggressive action to curtail that existing supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    From other counties? Might need to a build a wall then
    Amazing that you think it's impossible, given that it is in practice, successfully, in many places in the world. Certainly, America's cultural and political climate are different, but your arguments here are facile.