Page 44 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Violence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    federal statutes come and go
    we'll see
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    federal statutes come and go
    we'll see
    And if it's repealed by Congress, let the suits proceed. Until that time, respect for the system is the best route.

I don't have strong feelings about the statute, Im just cautioning against abandoning the concept of preemption because of the facts of a case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...thorities-say/

Few things would get me behind gun control more than this.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    This is the 45th mass shooting in the U.S. so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit that defines mass shootings as those that leave at least four dead or wounded.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shoot...b68f79fdc45d2c

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesd...ct-in-potomac/

I think this may be the first death from the red flag laws. From what I have read in other articles this guy was supposedly asleep in his bed when shot and killed. His girlfriend was also shot but not killed. No one in the house had a criminal record. What I dont understand is why they couldnt do this in broad daylight when he left his house. Why do a no knock raid? WTF sense does that make.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

You might assume that the map above has something to do with the Coronavirus outbreak.

It doesn’t. It is a map showing deaths involving a gun in the US between January 1, 2020 and today.

There have been 8,657 deaths involving a gun in 2020. 5,412 of those are suicides.

As of today, in the US there have been 388 deaths attributed to the Coronavirus.

Source: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Hey, look at that

Canada doing something to try to make sure this never happens again

Weird they didn’t try “thoughts and prayers” 389 times first
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Hey, look at that

Canada doing something to try to make sure this never happens again

Weird they didn’t try “thoughts and prayers” 389 times first
    I'm sorry that you are so scared.

Have you ever looked into moving to Canada? Seems safer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I have. I had been hesitant because I dont know how to live in cold climates but people have assured me Vancouver isnt that bad. Costs about 12k for the paperwork. Strongly considering it once some of my elderly family members die.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Yes, your most recent card you repeat

“Sorry that you are scared”

You know pointing out flaws isn’t fear right?

I’m down to go into the middle of any spot in this world and show I’m not the preconceived notion of Americans.

But yeah

Me pointing out that this country has the absolute dumbest gun policy that makes mass shooting just part of living here makes me the crazy one.

Hahahaha

If you haven’t thought about what you would do when at a movie or seen an exit plan at a mass gathering

Then you are either stupid or naive or lying

Or all of the above I guess

It certainly doesn’t stop me from having fun

But I’m prepared (best I can) if some dumb **** cause a lack of action pulls a gun in those situations
    Last edited by goldfly; 05-02-2020 at 11:23 PM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    The irony of sturg, who lives in constant fear that gov't thugs will tyrannically come steal at gunpoint all the pearls he is clutching, whining about other people being scared of actual non-imagined death and violence is pretty rich.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-02-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    The National Rifle Association’s former second-in-command, Joshua Powell, is calling for universal background checks and so-called red flag laws in a new book. He accuses the NRA of “appealing to the paranoia and darkest side of our members.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/u...PMoZwjdAeIa6m8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Yet another senseless mass shooting -- 10 dead in Boulder, CO.

Multiple federal agencies, including the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) were assisting the state in its investigations. Local officials said they would do everything they could for the victims, to “fight for them and their families.”

“This is a tragedy and a nightmare for Boulder County,” Dougherty said at the first news conference, adding that there is already an investigation underway. “We will stand united in support of the victims and their families to ensure that justice is done.”

Unfortunately the government, both local and national, has already failed and in fact NOT DONE everything they can to protect its citizens.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Yet another senseless mass shooting -- 10 dead in Boulder, CO.

Multiple federal agencies, including the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) were assisting the state in its investigations. Local officials said they would do everything they could for the victims, to “fight for them and their families.”

“This is a tragedy and a nightmare for Boulder County,” Dougherty said at the first news conference, adding that there is already an investigation underway. “We will stand united in support of the victims and their families to ensure that justice is done.”

Unfortunately the government, both local and national, has already failed and in fact NOT DONE everything they can to protect its citizens.

Right on cue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Right on cue.
    Keep your bullet proof vest handy.

Colorado incident is seventh mass shooting in US in past 7 days

Monday's mass shooting at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado, comes less than a week after eight people were killed in a series of attacks on spas in Atlanta.

The two incidents are likely to spur discussion about gun control legislation in the United States, where firearm deaths are tragically common. They are also among at least seven mass shootings in the past week across the US -- including three incidents on Saturday alone.

Atlanta, March 16: Eight people, including six Asian women, were killed when a White gunman stormed three spas, police said.
    Stockton, California, March 17: Five people who were preparing a vigil in Stockton, in California's Central Valley, were shot in a drive-by shooting, the San Joaquin Sheriff's Department said. None had life-threatening injuries.
    Gresham, Oregon, March 18: Four victims were taken to the hospital after a shooting in the city east of Portland, police said in an initial report on Twitter.
    Houston, March 20: Five people were shot after a disturbance inside a club, according to police. One was in critical condition after being shot in the neck, the rest were in stable condition, according to CNN affiliate KPRC.
    Dallas, March 20: Eight people were shot by an unknown assailant, one of whom died, according to police.
    Philadelphia, March 20: One person was killed and another five were injured during a shooting at an illegal party, CNN affiliate KYW reported. "There were at least 150 people in there that fled and believed they had to flee for their lives,” Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said.
    Boulder, Colorado, March 22: Ten people, including a Boulder police officer, were killed in a shooting at the King Soopers supermarket, according to police.

It's unclear how this number of mass shootings -- in which at least four people were shot -- compares to an average week in the US.

Though some official gun violence data is available, the US federal government does not have a centralized system or database to track firearm incidents and mass shootings nationwide. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which tracks some gun violence data, nearly 40,000 people were killed in incidents involving firearms in 2019.

So far this year, there have been at least six mass shootings with four or more killed, including those in Atlanta and Boulder.

These are the other four:

Jan. 9: Five killed in shooting spree in Evanston, Illinois, according to CNN affiliate WLS.
    Jan. 24: Five people shot dead in Indianapolis, Indiana, according to police.
    Feb. 2: Six people killed in Muskeegee, Oklahoma.
    March 13: Four killed in dispute over stimulus check in Indianapolis.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Keep your bullet proof vest handy.

Colorado incident is seventh mass shooting in US in past 7 days

Monday's mass shooting at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado, comes less than a week after eight people were killed in a series of attacks on spas in Atlanta.

The two incidents are likely to spur discussion about gun control legislation in the United States, where firearm deaths are tragically common. They are also among at least seven mass shootings in the past week across the US -- including three incidents on Saturday alone.

Atlanta, March 16: Eight people, including six Asian women, were killed when a White gunman stormed three spas, police said.
    Stockton, California, March 17: Five people who were preparing a vigil in Stockton, in California's Central Valley, were shot in a drive-by shooting, the San Joaquin Sheriff's Department said. None had life-threatening injuries.
    Gresham, Oregon, March 18: Four victims were taken to the hospital after a shooting in the city east of Portland, police said in an initial report on Twitter.
    Houston, March 20: Five people were shot after a disturbance inside a club, according to police. One was in critical condition after being shot in the neck, the rest were in stable condition, according to CNN affiliate KPRC.
    Dallas, March 20: Eight people were shot by an unknown assailant, one of whom died, according to police.
    Philadelphia, March 20: One person was killed and another five were injured during a shooting at an illegal party, CNN affiliate KYW reported. "There were at least 150 people in there that fled and believed they had to flee for their lives,” Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said.
    Boulder, Colorado, March 22: Ten people, including a Boulder police officer, were killed in a shooting at the King Soopers supermarket, according to police.

It's unclear how this number of mass shootings -- in which at least four people were shot -- compares to an average week in the US.

Though some official gun violence data is available, the US federal government does not have a centralized system or database to track firearm incidents and mass shootings nationwide. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which tracks some gun violence data, nearly 40,000 people were killed in incidents involving firearms in 2019.

So far this year, there have been at least six mass shootings with four or more killed, including those in Atlanta and Boulder.

These are the other four:

Jan. 9: Five killed in shooting spree in Evanston, Illinois, according to CNN affiliate WLS.
    Jan. 24: Five people shot dead in Indianapolis, Indiana, according to police.
    Feb. 2: Six people killed in Muskeegee, Oklahoma.
    March 13: Four killed in dispute over stimulus check in Indianapolis.
    Why didn't we get the race for the rest of the shooters, instead of only for the sex worker case?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Yes, your most recent card you repeat

“Sorry that you are scared”

You know pointing out flaws isn’t fear right?

I’m down to go into the middle of any spot in this world and show I’m not the preconceived notion of Americans.

But yeah

Me pointing out that this country has the absolute dumbest gun policy that makes mass shooting just part of living here makes me the crazy one.

Hahahaha

If you haven’t thought about what you would do when at a movie or seen an exit plan at a mass gathering

Then you are either stupid or naive or lying

Or all of the above I guess

It certainly doesn’t stop me from having fun

But I’m prepared (best I can) if some dumb **** cause a lack of action pulls a gun in those situations
    Just about any other country in the Western world has a gun policy you would approve of more. My understanding is that you have significant financial means, so it shouldn't be difficult for you to find one that suits you better.

As for being aware of your surroundings, are potential shootings really the only reason you do that? I assumed every adult did that as part of being an adult.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Why didn't we get the race for the rest of the shooters, instead of only for the sex worker case?
    Noted that as well.
    Ivermectin Man

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    i have a feeling this story is going to disappear soon