5,758 Posts
    Atent gun homicides at historical lows?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    . Because once someone reaches the point of wanting to kill a bunch of strangers, they'll find a way guns or not.
    Yep.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I don’t really find that argument compelling, even as one can argue that it could be taechnically true. Like, is there no utility to making it much, much harder to kill large numbers of people quickly?

Lots of people die in car accidents. It would be effectively impossible to bring that number to zero, but does that mean that we shouldn’t have seatbelts, ABS, collision-avoidance technology, DUI laws, etc?

How many AN bombs have there been since Oklahoma City?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I don’t really find that argument compelling, even as one can argue that it could be taechnically true. Like, is there no utility to making it much, much harder to kill large numbers of people quickly?

Lots of people die in car accidents. It would be effectively impossible to bring that number to zero, but does that mean that we shouldn’t have seatbelts, ABS, collision-avoidance technology, DUI laws, etc?

There are a whole ton of restrictions on guns. The problem is that some will not be happy until they are illegal all together.

All gun control does is take guns out of law abiding citizens.
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I always love the taking point of getting rid of all laws
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    It's just a matter of time before the nut cases start killing rich white people. Then you'll have your gun restrictions.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

I think we should strive to reduce shooting deaths. I think everyone agrees on that. But the evidence of the effectiveness of many of the proposed gun regulations is pretty bad.

To use your car analogy, it would be like saying every car must include a newly developed airbag without any evidence the airbag would be effective.

I just dont get the dogmatic gun control reactions while ignoring the root causes of people getting to the point where they'd engage in that activity.

The goal shouldn't be gun control. The goal should be reducing murders. Gun laws have to be part of that discussion but it's so much larger than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

actually we all die eventually...it is all pointless
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think we should strive to reduce shooting deaths. I think everyone agrees on that. But the evidence of the effectiveness of many of the proposed gun regulations is pretty bad.

To use your car analogy, it would be like saying every car must include a newly developed airbag without any evidence the airbag would be effective.

I just dont get the dogmatic gun control reactions while ignoring the root causes of people getting to the point where they'd engage in that activity.

The goal shouldn't be gun control. The goal should be reducing murders. Gun laws have to be part of that discussion but it's so much larger than that.
    So maybe we need an experiment...greatly reduce or eliminate guns in some places and see if it makes a difference

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So maybe we need an experiment...greatly reduce or eliminate guns in some places and see if it makes a difference
    We do that
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    First thing we could do is eliminate gun free zones

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We do that
    Indeed a while back I post a scatterplot showing data by state on gun ownership and gun deaths...there does seem to be a correlation...a positive one

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'll put this out as a proposition that I'd like to think people interested in taking a constructive approach to gun deaths might latch on to:

There are ways to restrict gun ownership and reduce gun deaths that are compliant with the second amendment.

We can move away from what has become a sterile and unproductive debate by focusing on that.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

I agree about the potential efficacy of some gun control measures and on the goal of reducing murders (which have been declining for a while). But I think any good-faith effort to do that is going to include comprehensive study of the issue and the ability to make policy recommendations, both of which have been severely curtailed by Congress since 1996.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I agree about the potential efficacy of some gun control measures and on the goal of reducing murders (which have been declining for a while). But I think any good-faith effort to do that is going to include comprehensive study of the issue and the ability to make policy recommendations, both of which have been severely curtailed by Congress since 1996.
    I 100% agree that studies need to be done. Refusing to allow research is idiotic. It means you're making policy decisions blind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    First thing we could do is eliminate gun free zones
    I’m curious to know what you base this on. It seems to be something you believe strongly, but I’m curious to know the provenance of that belief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Or conduct in depth, comprehensive research on the issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I’m curious to know what you base this on. It seems to be something you believe strongly, but I’m curious to know the provenance of that belief.
    For one, I'd sure like to be able to defend myself when a nutcase is trying to kill me.

It's difficult to find data on gun shootings in places that allow guns.

But I notice pretty much all mass shootings happen in public spaces that dont allow law abiding citizens their right to defend themselves.

There are college campuses that allow carrying weapons and I never hear of them getting shot up.

Gun ranges, are made up of all those scary white men shooting guns and nobody ever seems to decide to start mowing down people.

I can't imagine a nutcase terrorist wants his legacy to be that he got shot down by the math teacher.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    For one, I'd sure like to be able to defend myself when a nutcase is trying to kill me.

It's difficult to find data on gun shootings in places that allow guns.

But I notice pretty much all mass shootings happen in public spaces that dont allow law abiding citizens their right to defend themselves.

There are college campuses that allow carrying weapons and I never hear of them getting shot up.

Gun ranges, are made up of all those scary white men shooting guns and nobody ever seems to decide to start mowing down people.

I can't imagine a nutcase terrorist wants his legacy to be that he got shot down by the math teacher.
    Only a few Muslims tried it knowing they are watched.

Rich or have parents that are do this. That is mental illness. Maybe not the perfect family.

Media, video games and what not does not help as well.

But this crap did not happen between 1960 to 2000 that much. That is on the parents and they are living in their own glitzy world.

Oh not many blacks but in that list, most if not is black, gang related or drug related. Blacks is not going to shoot up a place unlike they have a target but the media will not say that.
    Last edited by AerchAngel; 08-04-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Boy, that’s a chicken**** take.
    As an example I went back and looked in this thread to see if there was a single comment on the mass shooting by the transgender kid in Colorado last May.

To my surprise nobody mentioned it