Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    You indicate multiple people have used the same quotes in conversations with you?

Sorry dude, I can't even get to half way believing this.
    Check my post below yours.

I have had several of my right wing friends share stuff like this after every mass shooting whenever gun control debate becomes hot.

It becomes an endless discussion online.

I also deal with clients at the country club I work at talk about this stuff whenever we're taking a break from tennis and it's the news of the day.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    These viral facebook posts get shared all the time on my feed after gun shootings.

Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    I have friends that share variations of this and one of Hitler supposedly not wanting to invade us for the same reason on Facebook.

I don't need to make this up. But I'm glad the group think has decidely declared I'm making it up.
    Sharing an article online is not bringing this up in conversations.

No one believes this.

I've told you this before, but you really ought to unplug from FB. You get the worst of people on there. It isn't worth it. No one would say that dumb **** out loud because they don't believe it, but online you can share all the crazy **** you want because everyone wants to correct everyone.
    Ivermectin Man

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts

No one believes this.

I've told you this before, but you really ought to unplug from FB. You get the worst of people on there. It isn't worth it. No one would say that dumb **** out loud because they don't believe it, but online you can share all the crazy **** you want because everyone wants to correct everyone.
    No one believes it huh.

So they post it, and when I tell them it's a misquote and they get defensive about it and still try to convince me it applies today...

The same friends that were saying Obama was going to take everyone's guns so he could keep himself in power forever.

I don't think we've met the same people. Because when I talk to them about politics in real life it mirrors exactly what they say online. same talking points every time.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    I don't get rid of social media for now, since I use it for marketing for my restaurant.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    The fact you're in disbelief about real people I know actually believing this stuff, should go to show you how disbelief I have been that they've been repeatedly sharing and talking about this stuff for 12 years.

These are normal everyday people. Baseball coaches, school teachers, office secretaries all sharing this stuff.

The best has been the last few days they've been sharing QAnon stuff regarding Epstein and Clinton. Almost clockwork.

These aren't 20 year olds. These are baby boomers who warned us growing up not to believe everything we see on the internet. Oh the irony.
    Forever Fredi

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    No one believes it huh.

So they post it, and when I tell them it's a misquote and they get defensive about it and still try to convince me it applies today...

The same friends that were saying Obama was going to take everyone's guns so he could keep himself in power forever.

I don't think we've met the same people. Because when I talk to them about politics in real life it mirrors exactly what they say online. same talking points every time.
    My favourite was the craziness that started with Glenn Beck and Alex, emmm, Infowars, that Obama was about to start throwing people who didn't support him on train cars to concentration camps. That **** got so much legs on Facebook that the governor of Texas literally sent the State Troopers to surround the U.S. Army on maneuvers because he believed they were about to head out to start rounding people up. I gave up on social media because of that sort of trash.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    My favourite was the craziness that started with Glenn Beck and Alex, emmm, Infowars, that Obama was about to start throwing people who didn't support him on train cars to concentration camps. That **** got so much legs on Facebook that the governor of Texas literally sent the State Troopers to surround the U.S. Army on maneuvers because he believed they were about to head out to start rounding people up. I gave up on social media because of that sort of trash.
    Ah yes I remember that.

There was a 20 second video of stacks of caskets being stacked as cargo on trains with people saying it was Obama's FEMA caskets that he was going to use when he puts all his dissenters in Concentration Camps.

That's after he was going to enact martial law, cancel elections, and import boatloads of his ISIS friends here.

I remember after Sandy Hook, my facebook feed was littered with "HERE IT COMES, GOVERNMENT IS ABOUT TO TAKE ALL OF OUR GUNS NOW. CAN'T LET OBAMA DO THIS." They're not memes but photoshopped images, same ones of the clearly photoshopped Barry Soetoro Columbia University Student ID.

It's funny that striker, tapate, sturg all think I'm making this up, that there are normal everyday people who actually believe this stuff that you'd never guess..

Trump is playing the paranoia deep state card perfectly with these people. They've lost all rational reasoning and immediately go to liberal media conspiracy asap.

The last few days I've been getting into arguments with these people about how the court documents unsealed about Epstein hosting Mar-A-Lago recruiting parties was faked, and how the Trump quote about Epstein frok years ago was fake as well.
    Forever Fredi

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    It's also completely worth mentioning that the thing in Texas was later proven to have been started by Russian intelligence.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    It's also completely worth mentioning that the thing in Texas was later proven to have been started by Russian intelligence.
    Don't let sturg or thethe read this. They think Russian schemes like this have no influence or effect on the psyche of your average middle of the road Americans in the heartland because America #1. Americans smaht. If the Governor of Texas is gullible and foolish enough to act on made up propaganda, I can't even imagine the regular everyday Dorothy and Randy's of the world.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What happened in Vietnam?
    Not sure what this has to do with anything.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Was this similar?

https://www.jacksonville.com/article...NEWS/801258710
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts

No one believes this.

I also have lived in the South my entire and have never heard anyone use this particular argument exactly, but are you really going to tell me it would be all that surprising? I mean I can't tell you how many times I heard that Obama was the anti-Christ over the last 10 years. I've seen people share fake photos/videos of Democrats seeming doing/saying things that are completely untrue. Hell, a guy I work with watched Mowgli on Netflix and tried to tell me it was based on a true story. That there once a kid raised by wild animals....

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    No, that one was a little similar, but separate. Here, I found a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_H...iracy_theories

That only mentions Abbott sending the cops to "monitor" the exercises, but as I recall he had them create a cordon surrounding the area of the exercise with cops spaced along it to radio out a warning if any of the Army left that area to go round up Texas for the concentration camps. And one of the two stooges, either Beck or Jones (that's Infowars' surname!) pushed photos of train cars with manacles bolted to the walls that were supposed to be how everyone would be transported.

You could tell me there's a contingent on Facebook pushing the notion that the government is putting drugs in the water to make us see colours differently, and I'd believe it, really. We've gotten unbelievably gullible as a people. But a state's governor falling for it seemed like a real low point to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I also have lived in the South my entire and have never heard anyone use this particular argument exactly, but are you really going to tell me it would be all that surprising? I mean I can't tell you how many times I heard that Obama was the anti-Christ over the last 10 years. I've seen people share fake photos/videos of Democrats seeming doing/saying things that are completely untrue. Hell, a guy I work with watched Mowgli on Netflix and tried to tell me it was based on a true story. That there once a kid raised by wild animals....
    Yes. I don't venture on to FB and try to have reasonable discussions with the outer edges of sanity though. It isn't healthy, and isn't a good use of my time.

There are idiots everywhere, but acting like this is a common sense thing that most southern people think is...out there.
    Ivermectin Man

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Yes. I don't venture on to FB and try to have reasonable discussions with the outer edges of sanity though. It isn't healthy, and isn't a good use of my time.

There are idiots everywhere, but acting like this is a common sense thing that most southern people think is...out there.
    Sample size sure, but as I said earlier, the people I have these discussions online with are people I know in real life... they're working your normal everyday jobs. And they say the same things in person as they do on Facebook.

Can only imagine how many more of them believe it and don't activelt use their facebook accounts.

Generally when I engage in these discussions, I get outnumbered when their friends and retired co-workers jump in and back up the already outrageous stuff.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    No, that one was a little similar, but separate. Here, I found a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_H...iracy_theories

That only mentions Abbott sending the cops to "monitor" the exercises, but as I recall he had them create a cordon surrounding the area of the exercise with cops spaced along it to radio out a warning if any of the Army left that area to go round up Texas for the concentration camps. And one of the two stooges, either Beck or Jones (that's Infowars' surname!) pushed photos of train cars with manacles bolted to the walls that were supposed to be how everyone would be transported.

You could tell me there's a contingent on Facebook pushing the notion that the government is putting drugs in the water to make us see colours differently, and I'd believe it, really. We've gotten unbelievably gullible as a people. But a state's governor falling for it seemed like a real low point to me.
    The Epstein story broke Saturday morning, and nearly every major news outlet that posted the breaking story on facebook (cnn, fox news, post, times) the same meme pictures of Clintons Clintons was shared on almost every one of their comments. Same talking points almost copy and paste.

60 year old women were posting this in the CBS news aticle's comment section

I find the phenomenon fascinating objectively speaking. And disturbing at the same time. Took maybe 30 minutes after that for the friends I spoke of earlier to share/post the image on their facebook feeds.

It was fascinating to see how viral it went.
    This image too was almost everywhere.
    Forever Fredi

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Lol at assessing the entire population based on facebook memes

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Lol at assessing the entire population based on facebook memes
    Wow. I didn't know I said the entire population.

But you're the one being naive if you underestimate how viral these things are spread and how easily they can influence the already confirmation biased individuals.

Viral trends pop up on social media everyday. There's always a new challenge of some sort every week. People changing their profile pictures to a transparent background of the French flag, pitch black to protest police brutality, etc. Yet you can't possibly comprehend the fact that middle aged and older people who can't tell the difference between a real photo and a 5 minute photoshop won't have their opinions influenced by several of these low rate memes.

And for someone who's always paranoid about how social media and Facebook are so big now they're doing the government's work on a facial database for them, I find it ironic you truly do not believe how much social media can affect not just the average person's psyche but anyone.

I mean look how obsessed you are with the left on this website, and taking shots at anything any liberal or progressive does.

You make fun of 57 for posting tweets, and you probably hyperlink as many tweets he does on here, all in the name of trying to pwn libs.
    Forever Fredi

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    It's hardly a new thing, either. In one poll, nearly 50% of New Yorkers said they believed Dubya was involved in 9/11. Something like a third of Americans believe in secret plans for a New World Order, that Obama's birth certificate was fake, and that the government created and spread AIDS. Around a quarter believe Obama killed Scalia and that the moon landing was faked. Nearly 10% believe the world is secretly controlled by lizard aliens wearing human skins, FFS. The big difference social media has made is the way it's allowed hostile actors to purposefully create and propagate this stuff and easily reach a wide, gullible audience.