Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018: The Year Of The Venezuelan Trout

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The safe thing is to say that acuna won't hit those thresholds. But man, what fun is that?

Some of you guys should just embrace fandom.
    The safe thing was to let the British keep imposing draconian taxes on us without representation, too.
    Last edited by SJ24; 03-04-2018 at 12:07 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Well, 99.99% of the time you're not dealing with the consensus top prospect like Ronald.

I know athletes. Baseball is a game that is increasingly becoming filled with non-athletic guys and that makes it easier for the true athletes to excel.

Darryl Strawberry hit 26 HR and swiped 21 bags as a 21-year-old rookie in his ROY season for the Mets. Hit only .257. 122 games.

It's not as outlandish as you guys are saying it is to extrapolate that to 30/30.
    You are about 19 years old, and Acuna is simply the first elite prospect you’ve followed since becoming an “adult”. You never even saw Strawberry play baseball. It makes sense you are over sensationalizing the first elite prospect you’ve ever followed.

I would really like to know the qualifications you have to “know athletes”. Are you playing a sport at the D1 level? What is the highest level scouting event you’ve been part of, either as a participant or an evaluator?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-04-2018 at 12:21 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The safe thing was to let the British keep imposing draconian taxes on us without representation, too.
    Lol did you just learn about that in history class?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You are about 19 years old, and Acuna is simply the first elite prospect you’ve followed since becoming an “adult”. You never even saw Strawberry play baseball. It makes sense you are over sensationalizing the first elite prospect you’ve ever followed.

I would really like to know the qualifications you have to “know athletes”. Are you playing a sport at the D1 level? What is the highest level scouting event you’ve been part of, either as a participant or an evaluator?
    Even Andruw didn't do 20/20 let alone 30/30 (something he never did) in his rookie year. Andruw did end up with 3 straight 20/20 seasons starting with his sophomore season however.

With the amount of mediocre pitchers in the league and the juiced ball I can easily see 20 homers this year if Acuna gets called up rather quickly. I could even see a path to 30 homers if he figures out MLB pitching quickly because elite talent can certainly surprise you. I don't think he gets to 30 steals though. I think a combination of having a poor success rate and not getting on base close to the same clip he did in the minors will severely limit him there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Even Andruw didn't do 20/20 let alone 30/30 (something he never did) in his rookie year. Andruw did end up with 3 straight 20/20 seasons starting with his sophomore season however.

With the amount of mediocre pitchers in the league and the juiced ball I can easily see 20 homers this year if Acuna gets called up rather quickly. I could even see a path to 30 homers if he figures out MLB pitching quickly because elite talent can certainly surprise you. I don't think he gets to 30 steals though. I think a combination of having a poor success rate and not getting on base close to the same clip he did in the minors will severely limit him there.
    Quite a few things are likely to normalize. Not least the BABIP, which was around .400 last year. I think it is going to be around .330 this year. The strikeout rate will rise some too in the majors.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-05-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

Plus the Braves tend to stifle steals at the MLB level.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-05-2018), Runnin (03-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Plus the Braves tend to stifle steals at the MLB level.
    If it’s fun or flashy the Braves will nip it in the butt. Always have and always will.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-04-2018), Super (03-05-2018), Tapate50 (03-05-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If it’s fun or flashy the Braves will nip it in the butt. Always have and always will.
    Maybe that will change since the dinosaurs are gone

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (03-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Coming into the Pittsburgh game today:

.429 average
    9-21
    1 HR
    2 SB
    8.6% BB%
    17.39% K%

Mike Trout's K% and BB% as a rookie were 22% and 11%.
    Last edited by SJ24; 03-05-2018 at 10:13 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Coming into the Pittsburgh game today:

.429 average
    9-21
    1 HR
    2 SB
    8.6% BB%
    17.39% K%

Mike Trout's K% and BB% as a rookie were 22% and 11%.
    OK, I changed my mind. Original stakes of the bet are still on.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    And he would have been right to do that. Anyone predicting Trout level success for a rookie is going to be wrong 99.99% of the time. And lets not forget that Trout did have 135 at bats the year before his official rookie season where he was less than impressive. .220/.281/.390 isn't what you think of when you think of Trout, but that is exactly what he did over his first 135 at bats. Can you imagine the meltdown on this board if that was Acuna's stat line by midseason?
    I didn't even remember that he'd gotten that (pretty big) cup of coffee the previous year. I hope Acuna does better than that, by miles, but to use a Bowmanism, that sure gives reason to believe an "adjustment period" is possible. It's not reasonable to expect him to be as good as Trout, but as thethe would say, embrace the fandom. It sure would be fun if he is even close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Great article here.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3856622

LET RONALD WEAR HIS HAT SIDEWAYS.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Great article here.

i read someone had to shave their beard or cut their hair or something when they came here? i really don't like that crap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i read someone had to shave their beard or cut their hair or something when they came here? i really don't like that crap.
    I stopped reading that article after "play the white way"
    Get off my lawn!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (03-05-2018), Jaw (03-05-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Great article here.

Good grief. This whole story has been one of the most overblown things I've ever seen.

That quote from Bowman is the only thing this entire deal is based on. From what Snitker said, it is just about how he wore his hat during an interview, when he had it kind of cocked back and to the side, solely so that people could see the logo. If you find any picture of Acuna ever playing baseball, you will see his hat on his head perfectly straight. It is a complete non-story, but people cannot wait to blast baseball for being about 'doing things the right way,' so they assume Acuna wears his hat like Fernando Rodney and the Braves are just old, white, stuck-up morons.

In short, that article is extremely dumb, as are a ton of others that have been written about it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Garmel (03-05-2018), mfree80 (03-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Good grief. This whole story has been one of the most overblown things I've ever seen.

That quote from Bowman is the only thing this entire deal is based on. From what Snitker said, it is just about how he wore his hat during an interview, when he had it kind of cocked back and to the side, solely so that people could see the logo. If you find any picture of Acuna ever playing baseball, you will see his hat on his head perfectly straight. It is a complete non-story, but people cannot wait to blast baseball for being about 'doing things the right way,' so they assume Acuna wears his hat like Fernando Rodney and the Braves are just old, white, stuck-up morons.

In short, that article is extremely dumb, as are a ton of others that have been written about it.
    I think the article is very good.

The proof is in the pudding- how many African-American players are in the Majors now? How many are in those top 30 prospects lists?

It is a major concern when a very large segment of the population is completely turned off by the old white man rules that discourage individuality (which is ironic because American culture is more individualistic than any other)

Remember Lastings Milledge? Poor kid was just having fun giving high fives and they almost ran him out of MLB.

Frankly I wish Acuna would wear military fatigues (a la Miami) to batting practice tomorrow and tell everyone to kiss his ass.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

The proof is in the pudding- how many African-American players are in the Majors now? How many are in those top 30 prospects lists?

It is a major concern when a very large segment of the population is completely turned off by the old white man rules that discourage individuality (which is ironic because American culture is more individualistic than any other)

Remember Lastings Milledge? Poor kid was just having fun giving high fives and they almost ran him out of MLB.

Frankly I wish Acuna would wear military fatigues (a la Miami) to batting practice tomorrow and tell everyone to kiss his ass.
    Acuna is not African American.

African Americans are not playing baseball for reasons far more complex than not being allowed to wear their hats sideways.

A huge portion of MLB players are Latino, who are known for being flamboyant. The "old white man rules" certainly don't keep them from playing the game.

You displayed alarming ignorance with your post...it's becoming a trend with you.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

I don't know. Is he African American? Latin? African Venezuelan? South African Venezuelan South American?

We got to get this right.

I hear South African Venezuelan South American like to play in My Little Pony thongs and ass dreads.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Do you mean 'black' or 'not white'? If so, currently about half or more. 16 of MLB's top 29, and that's if you call Ohtani white.

And Milledge played in the majors for 5+ years. He was 'run out' of MLB because he sucked, not because he was having fun.

And the point still stands - if you want to talk about baseball being an 'old white man' sport, then do that. Don't use this case to prove that point because it makes no sense. And African-Americans are not staying away from baseball because of the lack of individuality. That's kind of insane. There's no less individuality in MLB than there is in the NFL. They're not in baseball in large numbers right now for far more complex reasons...money and location being two big factors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Acuna is not African American.
    No way? The title of this thread (which I made) is "The Venezuelan Trout"

African Americans are not playing baseball for reasons far more complex than not being allowed to wear their hats sideways.
    It is a symptom of the disease.

A huge portion of MLB players are Latino, who are known for being flamboyant. The "old white man rules" certainly don't keep them from playing the game.

You displayed alarming ignorance with your post...it's becoming a trend with you.
    They haven't stopped playing yet, but it's not like American football is an option for them.

I know firsthand that baseball is not attractive to many AA youth AND white youth ALIKE because of the silly old white man rules. The fact you are oblivious to this is not surprising at all.