Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018: The Year Of The Venezuelan Trout

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure where you’re going with this facepalm. I think it’s fair to question whether those two players were a good use of almost $2 million, which probably represents between one- and two-fifths of the Braves’ remaining 2018 payroll space.
    Last edited by jpx7; 03-27-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    From Bowman's latest article: "Acuna's family expressed interest in gaining the financial security that would accompany such a long-term deal. But the informal discussions have not yet led to a formal offer being made by the team."
    That's a good sign to me.

If they are interested then we should be able to get it done.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-28-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Video on twitter with an interpreter where Acuna said he hasnt received a contract offer yet from the team.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (03-27-2018), UNCBlue012 (03-28-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I was wondering when “we can’t afford >$5 million more in 2018” became “but we can throw $1 million at Bourjos and $750k at Flaherty”.
    I’m guessing they had enough money to either give Acuna a signing bonus, or to sign some bench filler. Now that Acuna isn’t extending, they switched gears to the bench fodder.

They probably never had $5M-$10M remaining after the Kemp deal, and all that speculation we did about bargain deals on guys like Mous were completely out of the question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Delete

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Not sure where you’re going with this facepalm. I think it’s fair to question whether those two players were a good use of almost $2 million, which probably represents between one- and two-fifths of the Braves’ remaining 2018 payroll space.
    The facepalm is about "clearly" and other comments that constantly get made here - especially when Acuna was asked DIRECTLY after the story broke and said point-blank that there had been no such discussions.

Chances are far better that there isn't a single person that frequents this message board that has access to the team's available capital - not one.

It's perfectly reasonable to surmise that there's not very much lying around to "blow", but to come up with the idea that the franchise only had X number of dollars that they could spend and that AA decided to spend its last dime on retreads like Flaherty and Bourjos instead of going up the ladder and asking for a couple million more to negotiate further with Acuns's reps (had they even broached the subject - which apparently they hadn't) is pretty comical.

The story came from a blogger who's on record saying that he believed his sources over sources that Bowman and DOB, and even more importantly, the guys with even more reputable sources like Rosenthal/Heyman/etc. have who were telling them there was nothing to report.

It honestly isn't a sin to say "this is what I think, but I'm not privy to any information that others aren't" - for most of us. You didn't do that, but there are folks here that are somehow capable of telling us how much they have within $10.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I'd tell the braves to take their contract and go **** themselves for playing the service time game.

The Braves are also telling all of you fans out there that this season is a waste. Don't bother. Their best player will be in the minor leagues. The only reason to do this is if you don't think you can compete. Sweet.

Well, we also know the Braves are cheap. I love the defenders here talking about what great policy it is to hold Acuna back. just like it was great to dump all those contracts a few years ago in return for little. I LOVE how this board is so worried about Liberty Media's finances.

The celebration when BJ Upton's contract was dumped was hilarious. We fans got nothing out of it but several more years of ****ty teams, but hey, great trade! At least the Braves could help pay for that new stadium though! This rebuild was the biggest scam...the rebuild was obviously about building a stadium and finding money to help make that happen.

The Braves are a joke BECAUSE they pretend Atlanta is the size of Milwaukee. Sure, leave Acuna down this month, why not. LOL. Another ****ty season in Atlanta it is with an ownership group that has absolutely no interest in winning.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I’m guessing they had enough money to either give Acuna a signing bonus, or to sign some bench filler. Now that Acuna isn’t extending, they switched gears to the bench fodder.
    this is a pretty..interesting...leap to make. especially considering it looks like no contract was offered.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    I'd tell the braves to take their contract and go **** themselves for playing the service time game.

The Braves are also telling all of you fans out there that this season is a waste. Don't bother. Their best player will be in the minor leagues. The only reason to do this is if you don't think you can compete. Sweet.

Well, we also know the Braves are cheap. I love the defenders here talking about what great policy it is to hold Acuna back. just like it was great to dump all those contracts a few years ago in return for little. I LOVE how this board is so worried about Liberty Media's finances.

The celebration when BJ Upton's contract was dumped was hilarious. We fans got nothing out of it but several more years of ****ty teams, but hey, great trade! At least the Braves could help pay for that new stadium though! This rebuild was the biggest scam...the rebuild was obviously about building a stadium and finding money to help make that happen.

The Braves are a joke BECAUSE they pretend Atlanta is the size of Milwaukee. Sure, leave Acuna down this month, why not. LOL. Another ****ty season in Atlanta it is with an ownership group that has absolutely no interest in winning.
    Having Albies and Swanson up early sure helped us win important games and was great for their development

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

Garmel (03-28-2018), nsacpi (03-28-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post

Freeman is playing in the minors this year?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Freeman is playing in the minors this year?
    Working on his 3B skills.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

auyushu (03-28-2018), JohnAdcox (03-28-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (03-28-2018), thewupk (03-28-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Working on his 3B skills.
    Definitely is a position of need

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    For all the amazing things we all hope to see Manchild do while wearing a Braves' uniform, I'm not sure he'll ever experience a moment like Vlad Jr. did last night - absolutely gives you chills.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Vlad Jr is something else
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    For all the amazing things we all hope to see Manchild do while wearing a Braves' uniform, I'm not sure he'll ever experience a moment like Vlad Jr. did last night - absolutely gives you chills.
    I really, really hope he experiences a moment bigger than hitting a ST walk-off.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I really, really hope he experiences a moment bigger than hitting a ST walk-off.
    With 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th in the park his Dad built a HOF career where they're trying to land a new franchise wearing Pop's number?

It's romantic rather than numeric, but those are things that create legends too.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    With 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th in the park his Dad built a HOF career where they're trying to land a new franchise wearing Pop's number?

It's romantic rather than numeric, but those are things that create legends too.
    Gary Carter is his dad?

Now I'm confused.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (03-28-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Gary Carter is his dad?

Now I'm confused.

Last edited by clvclv; 03-28-2018 at 12:40 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The facepalm is about "clearly" and other comments that constantly get made here - especially when Acuna was asked DIRECTLY after the story broke and said point-blank that there had been no such discussions.

Chances are far better that there isn't a single person that frequents this message board that has access to the team's available capital - not one.
    And yet I’ve been 100% right about all payroll related moves all offseason. Hmm....

What have you been right about? When should we expect Odorizzi to join the rotation?

Stick to doing menial tasks in the realty world like appraisals and inspections. Leave the thinking to those capable. Mmmkay?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And yet I’ve been 100% right about all payroll related moves all offseason. Hmm....

What have you been right about? When should we expect Odorizzi to join the rotation?

Stick to doing menial tasks in the realty world like appraisals and inspections. Leave the thinking to those capable. Mmmkay?
    Since you were so obviously right about the extension talks breaking down and AA deciding to spend those funds on Bourjos and Flaherty???

They didn't have any talks *sshole - Acuna said it himself. Guess he should've checked with the folks at FanGraphs to see what they thought before telling reporters that yeaterday.