Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018: The Year Of The Venezuelan Trout

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Heyward was one of the most hyped prospects ever. Acuna is being hyped, as all #1 prospects are, but he won't ever be able to surpass Heyward's hype.
    Local kid certainly helped with that as was him busting out car windows with his homeruns in ST. How quickly some forget.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Do they have to provide a rationale? I wouldn't comment on it if I were them.
    Even with our beat reporters, someone’s going to ask Snitker at the next press availability.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    They already gave it. Basically, he hasn't been at any one spot long enough for a league to adjust to him. They want to see how he adjusts to the adjustment.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Baseball rules are stupid

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I’m genuinely eager to see what rationale the Braves cite. Like, I’m sincerely looking forward to it.
    Mostly fluff and bs lol. Very glad they did it tho. From AA, per MLB.com:

"We don't set time frames or anything like that," Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "I know a lot gets made of that. Right now, it's just go down and play and get in a routine. He's obviously looked very good. We just want him to get into the flow, keep doing what he was doing and he'll find his way back here, hopefully very soon."

"Our priority is, what's best for Ronald Acuna's development?" said Anthopoulos. "What's best for Mike Soroka's development? Ultimately, we still have a responsibility to the Braves to put the best team out on the field. But the No. 1 priority is going to be the player development of each player, because we want them when they're up here to stay up here. We want them to have long, productive and healthy careers.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Wish they would've just handed him an extension as this really should be more concerning than people are making it.

What makes you think, if he meets his potential, the Braves will be able to extend him down the road if they don't now?
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Wish they would've just handed him an extension as this really should be more concerning than people are making it.

What makes you think, if he meets his potential, the Braves will be able to extend him down the road if they don't now?
    There is no way the Braves will be able to keep Acuna. Basically we should enjoy the years we have of him because he’ll be gone once he hits FA.
    He would be too hard to extend right now due to the fact that his skill set plays right into arbitration and his handlers know he’ll make good money going that route.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I’m genuinely eager to see what rationale the Braves cite. Like, I’m sincerely looking forward to it.
    I call on Enscheff to answer my question which might provide some light on why to start RA,Jr in Gwinnett for a time until Mar 10th or until opening home game on the 13th.

How many $$ are saved by delaying his clock and getting the extra year of control?? The per game amount might be astounding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We have no clue what the braves financial situation is going to be in 7 years. They very well may have the means to retain acuna.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Good for AA.

I thought they would cave to the pressure. AA's stock has gone up with me.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We have no clue what the braves financial situation is going to be in 7 years. They very well may have the means to retain acuna.
    Very possible. And by keeping him down for two weeks, we can keep his costs down so no matter our financial situation, we will have more money to help the team by keeping Acuna cost controlled.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Baseball rules are stupid
    It’s 100 percent the worst baseball rule. It’s bad for the league’s image (what other sport incentivized it’s teams to not play their best young talent?), it’s disgustingly immoral to the players, and the fans are cheated.

The only winner in this equation is the owners who get to arbitrarily suppress wages.

I’m not sure if there’s a perfect system to fix baseball, but I can think of a dozen different ones that are sure as hell better than the current system.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I wonder if Hart/coppy would have started him right off?
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It’s 100 percent the worst baseball rule. It’s bad for the league’s image (what other sport incentivized it’s teams to not play their best young talent?), it’s disgustingly immoral to the players, and the fans are cheated.

The only winner in this equation is the owners who get to arbitrarily suppress wages.

I’m not sure if there’s a perfect system to fix baseball, but I can think of a dozen different ones that are sure as hell better than the current system.
    You can bet the next CBA will have this service time issue addressed. By all reasoning other than service time, Acuna should be on the roster from opening day. It is simply too easy for clubs to manipulate service time to gain the extra year of control...but the players agreed to this system multiple times in multiple negotiations.

Maybe they should consider having a labor lawyer in charge of their labor union rather than an ex player?

I think there is going to be some rough times ahead during the next CBA negotiations.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Mostly fluff and bs lol. Very glad they did it tho. From AA, per MLB.com:

"We don't set time frames or anything like that," Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "I know a lot gets made of that. Right now, it's just go down and play and get in a routine. He's obviously looked very good. We just want him to get into the flow, keep doing what he was doing and he'll find his way back here, hopefully very soon."

"Our priority is, what's best for Ronald Acuna's development?"
    said Anthopoulos. "What's best for Mike Soroka's development? Ultimately, we still have a responsibility to the Braves to put the best team out on the field. But the No. 1 priority is going to be the player development of each player, because we want them when they're up here to stay up here. We want them to have long, productive and healthy careers.
    I'm calling bulls**t on this. Anyone who actually believes this is beyond naive. It's about $$$ and controllable years. PERIOD.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (03-19-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You can bet the next CBA will have this service time issue addressed. By all reasoning other than service time, Acuna should be on the roster from opening day. It is simply too easy for clubs to manipulate service time to gain the extra year of control...but the players agreed to this system multiple times in multiple negotiations.

Maybe they should consider having a labor lawyer in charge of their labor union rather than an ex player?

I think there is going to be some rough times ahead during the next CBA negotiations.
    While I agree that this will be a topic of consideration, it’s also one that current players are less invested in. In other words, why should Freddie Freeman care about Acuna’s service time from a monetary stand point? He doesn’t. So while I am sure Freddie wants Acuna on the team and wants Acuna to be treated fairly, he probably doesn’t care about this as much as the qualifying offer, which could affect him in the future.

MLBPA has time and time and time again bargained the rights of amateurs and minor leaguers away for concessions that only benefit themselves. The only way this changes is if a new union leader comes along and refuses to use amateur rights as a bargaining chip, similar to Michelle Roberts in the NBA (who is a lawyer as you mentioned)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-20-2018), Super (03-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Every players union sells out rookies at the expense of veterans but the length of control plus what’s happening to veterans on the market may be giving some pause.

But the owners highest priority would have to be protecting their investment in the minor league model and cheap major league talent so tough seeing how this changes a great deal.

Obvious possibility would be assessing a full year of control past a relatively small number of games played.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    For the record, I think Acuna is being sent down for money but it really won’t hurt him to see some more of AAA. Make sure he can handle that pitch sequencing that he struggles with in his first seven at bats.

If Braves get production out of LF in his absence it might even be longer than we think.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    I call on Enscheff to answer my question which might provide some light on why to start RA,Jr in Gwinnett for a time until Mar 10th or until opening home game on the 13th.

How many $$ are saved by delaying his clock and getting the extra year of control?? The per game amount might be astounding.

Since this isn't Encheff's personal message board, I assume other board members might react. If not, sign out now and send him emails.

The amount costing the Braves is next to nothing. They have exactly three home games before April 16, the first three games of the season. The vast majority of these tickets have already been sold, and if the weather's nice, no roster move is likely to effect the turnout. Worst case, they take a hit on concessions.
    Ironically, Gwinnett opens the year on the road as well, not playing a home game until April 12. But if Acuna is still there, it should lead to sellouts that first series.

With the $30 million per year barrier being broken this year, the amount saved on Acuna could be $15-$20 million easy. There's no way of knowing what the going rate or ceiling is on salaries seven years down the road.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Since this isn't Encheff's personal message board, I assume other board members might react. If not, sign out now and send him emails.

The amount costing the Braves is next to nothing. They have exactly three home games before April 16, the first three games of the season. The vast majority of these tickets have already been sold, and if the weather's nice, no roster move is likely to effect the turnout. Worst case, they take a hit on concessions.
    Ironically, Gwinnett opens the year on the road as well, not playing a home game until April 12. But if Acuna is still there, it should lead to sellouts that first series.

With the $30 million per year barrier being broken this year, the amount saved on Acuna could be $15-$20 million easy. There's no way of knowing what the going rate or ceiling is on salaries seven years down the road.
    More importantly, we don’t know for certain how good Acuna will end up being. That does make some difference as to how much he will get paid.