Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Good, Bad, and Ugly of ST so far

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Colon had 5 RBIs vs Cards. Does that raise his chances to above 10% to make the 25 man roster??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Colon had 5 RBIs vs Cards. Does that raise his chances to above 10% to make the 25 man roster??
    we re-signed Bartolo?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-05-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    we re-signed Bartolo?
    I think you misread the stat as RIBs.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-04-2018), bravesfanMatt (03-03-2018), Hudson2 (03-04-2018), JohnAdcox (03-05-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (03-04-2018), nsacpi (03-03-2018), Tapate50 (03-04-2018), zedsdead (03-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Culberson gonna make that tough

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Ever since Dansby came up, I questioned his "stepping in the bucket" with right foot as a limiting factor on his hitting ability.

Big Three Sports Blog has an interesting Blog on Dansby's foot work during swing. Compares early '17 to after his return for AAA. I still don't like the continual movement of the right foot. The right foot is the foundation of the swing.

https://www.bigthreesports.com/dansb...training-2018/

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Ever since Dansby came up, I questioned his "stepping in the bucket" with right foot as a limiting factor on his hitting ability.

Big Three Sports Blog has an interesting Blog on Dansby's foot work during swing. Compares early '17 to after his return for AAA. I still don't like the continual movement of the right foot. The right foot is the foundation of the swing.

Interdasting. He still needs to show that he can handle breaking balls, but maybe if he still puts up a .250-260...it'll at least be accompanied with 15-20 HR or so.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts

Really good article on Dansby - love the detail they go into:

“Getting [your front foot] down too early can mess up timing and alter the kinematic sequencing of the swing.” Jason Ochart quickly summed up via Twitter what I speculated might be true.

For almost all of Swanson’s 2017, before his change in late August, his front foot was down earlier than your standard hitter (in the video on the left above).

“For most hitters, the pressure shifting onto the front foot is what initiates their swing. Force plate data shows that the forceful heel drop works as the trigger of the swing and works as a brake to send energy upward through the body… to accelerate the bat late in the swing arc, as all the best hitters do.”

Breaking down Orchart’s points make a complex explanation simple. A hitter’s front foot is used to initiate their swing. When this foot plants, it helps transfer energy from one’s lower body to upper body. Eventually that energy affects a hitter’s bat.

“Force plate data” sounds complex, but it’s nothing more than a plate on the ground that measures exerted force. In this case, the force from a hitter’s front foot. (YouTube is always here to help as well).

Ochart went on to state research shows that shorter time between the peak of one’s front-foot force and contact with the baseball can lead to greater exit velocity. If your front foot peaks early, as a hitter’s might if they’re planting as early as Swanson was, the effects could be detrimental on the one variable most hitters are focused on.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    There are a lot of moving parts. If Santana makes the team as the 4th OF/6th IF, I will be curious to see what happens to a lot of guys. It could boil down to Colon and Lane Adams for the last spot if Santana goes north. I'm still thinking that there will be someone on the opening day roster that currently isn't in camp.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    There are a lot of moving parts. If Santana makes the team as the 4th OF/6th IF, I will be curious to see what happens to a lot of guys. It could boil down to Colon and Lane Adams for the last spot if Santana goes north. I'm still thinking that there will be someone on the opening day roster that currently isn't in camp.
    Snitker has hinted a couple times that they will start the season with a 7 man pen and go to an 8 man pen when the schedule gets busier.

This means a 5 man bench coming out of spring training: Suzuki, Culberson, Adams (also the weak side of the platoon in left), Santana and Ruiz.

I don't count Tucker since he would be the nominal starter in left.

There is still a chance we pick someone up. In which case one of the 5 listed above would not be on the opening day roster.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Snitker has hinted a couple times that they will start the season with a 7 man pen and go to an 8 man pen when the schedule gets busier.

This means a 5 man bench coming out of spring training: Suzuki, Culberson, Adams (also the weak side of the platoon in left), Santana and Ruiz.

I don't count Tucker since he would be the nominal starter in left.

There is still a chance we pick someone up. In which case one of the 5 listed above would not be on the opening day roster.
    No reason to have Santana and Adams is it? Seems just finding a good hitter would be a better use of a spot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    No reason to have Santana and Adams is it? Seems just finding a good hitter would be a better use of a spot
    Sure if we can find one. But two of the guys who start the year on the bench are likely to be sent down fairly early. One when Acuna gets called up. And another when we go to an 8 man pen. Of course there are injuries and other things that could scramble everything up.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Is it possible that albies is flying under the radar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Is it possible that albies is flying under the radar?
    I think he has a higher OPS than Acuna this year.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Sure if we can find one. But two of the guys who start the year on the bench are likely to be sent down fairly early. One when Acuna gets called up. And another when we go to an 8 man pen. Of course there are injuries and other things that could scramble everything up.
    I'm pretty bullish on Anthopolous, but I'm getting nervous that he has inadequately prepared for the quality position player depth that's needed if injuries strike in even a normal way. I know we're not gearing up to win the World Series, but I think there is a basic level of decency you've got to aim for just to keep a winning culture on the team. Added to that, I think it's in the team's best long-term interest to create a plausible way to keep Acuna down for 2 months. How do you do that when Markakis breaks his leg and Dustin Peterson is the next man up?

With all due respect to some of these guys, we're projected to have a couple of AAAA players share time in LF, then multiple AAAA players competing for reserve infield spots. There's still a decent chance he's waiting out the market, but I'm starting to get nervous. Even just one upgrade to our position player group would make a big difference, and I think is warranted.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think he has a higher OPS than Acuna this year.
    Thatd be something else because acunas power is legit. Wouldn't rule it out though.

I think the big number is 380 which is what I think will be Albies on base percentage. Guy knows what he's doing out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I'm pretty bullish on Anthopolous, but I'm getting nervous that he has inadequately prepared for the quality position player depth that's needed if injuries strike in even a normal way. I know we're not gearing up to win the World Series, but I think there is a basic level of decency you've got to aim for just to keep a winning culture on the team. Added to that, I think it's in the team's best long-term interest to create a plausible way to keep Acuna down for 2 months. How do you do that when Markakis breaks his leg and Dustin Peterson is the next man up?

With all due respect to some of these guys, we're projected to have a couple of AAAA players share time in LF, then multiple AAAA players competing for reserve infield spots. There's still a decent chance he's waiting out the market, but I'm starting to get nervous. Even just one upgrade to our position player group would make a big difference, and I think is warranted.
    I don't see anyway acuna is not on the major league club on may 1st. They are probably talking about opening day at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post

I'd sign Brandon Moss for the league minimum once he is released. He is planning to retire if no one signs him, I'd give him a shot to back-up first and play some LF again. He has power and could bounce back enough if given a shot. If not then just cut him as he won't be making much. He could be a Matt Adams replacement if all goes well though. Nothing special but nice to have on your bench and in a platoon in LF IMO. I could see him doing better than Tucker if he bounces back.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Opening day would be ridiculous with Acuna, but I'm legitimately going to have a sad if they decide to hold him down for longer than somewhere between Tax Day-May 1st, unless he has an injury issue or doesn't perform.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't see anyway acuna is not on the major league club on may 1st. They are probably talking about opening day at this point.
    You're crazy, AA won't go for that no matter what Snitker wants. We won't give up that extra year for nothing, though we might call him up as soon as we can once that extra year is covered. However, if it is clearly another rebuild then waiting a couple months makes the most sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    You're crazy, AA won't go for that no matter what Snitker wants. We won't give up that extra year for nothing, though we might call him up as soon as we can once that extra year is covered. However, if it is clearly another rebuild then waiting a couple months makes the most sense.
    I still believe we are going to read about a large contract for both albies/Acuna in two months. I believe that Liberty has the money and to give the fans the assurance of two cornerstone players will work well to get people through the gate.

I also believe that 2018 is a dark horse for a wc spot and Acuna being up on April 1st goes a long way to getting us there.