Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: West Virginia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and Kentucky:

The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Relying on the government for financial security has always been a bad bet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    be curious the government contracts behind your paycheck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Relying on the government for financial security has always been a bad bet
    I don't consider teachers "government"

I see government as the entity that fills the potholes and maintains the stoplights and traffic signs.
    That delivered my Amazon package yesterday

But that is a side discussion and muddies the waters of how (R) has crippled the education system in our country.
    From K through PHD

and how the teachers are fighting back
    Last edited by 57Brave; 04-03-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I don't consider teachers "government"

I see government as the entity that fills the potholes and maintains the stoplights and traffic signs.
    That delivered my Amazon package yesterday

But that is a side discussion and muddies the waters of how (R) has crippled the education system in our country.
    From K through PHD

and how the teachers are fighting back
    Do you ever say anything that is right?

1. Public ducation is provided by the government

2. (R) hasn't crippled anything... though I do wish they would as we have certainly gotten dumber since the government decided to take a huge role in education... But let's look at actual data, shall we?

Please tell me more what (R) has done to cripple things.

Oh wait, this is where you disappear and change the subject in a few days

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-04-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Oh wait, this is where you disappear and change the subject in a few days
    It's as if he's shocked that there are holes in AM radio talking points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    This is where i disappear or show a chart from a think tank that supports my belief.

and we go round and round

For kicks and giggles, when the rubber meets the road, what is your preferred alternative to public education ?
    and who administers the day to day ?

or this is where you disappear and change the subject in a few days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    you made a claim that R has crippled education spending. show your work.

We spend more on education each year, like clockwork.

An yet, our scores never seem to get any better.

Shocking, I know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    listen to a teacher story.

They are plentiful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you made a claim that R has crippled education spending. show your work.

We spend more on education each year, like clockwork.

An yet, our scores never seem to get any better.

Shocking, I know
    but please, your alternative ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    but please, your alternative ?
    happy to. After you tell me how (R) has crippled education spending. i don't want anecdotal stories of emotion. Show me why, in data. It should be easy to prove, as "crippling" isn't a blip

Don't let this be another "middle class has been wiped by the GOP" moment for you.

This is your chance to prove you're not a constant purveyor of fake news

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Actually, not even "crippled education spending" ... it was "crippled the education system".

But wait ... there's a "think tank" (aka Daily KOS) that supports his belief.

So powerful that any documentation of its stance can't even be produced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    we are supported by ideologically competing think tanks -- my think tank can beat up your think tank ?

I tried to avoid mocking John Locke org. as a source It is a Libertarian think tank that promotes Libertarian causes -- in this case defunding public education.

here, pick one

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.M-GsZUF66FU

and here, pick a nuther

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.d6hT4u4Xegk

.................................................. .................................................. ..............................

I really see no sense of another endless back and forth of think tank charts and graphs that make a fair to say biased argument.

Sturg showed one good for him. I will think about it the next time I see teachers striking

so round and round we go, alternatives ??
    Last edited by 57Brave; 04-03-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Those links aren't to think tanks.

And they don't support your stated belief that Republicans have "crippled the education system".

They are links to Google searches for random, loosely connected queries.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    "From K to PHD"

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I am really surprised this doesn't get more attention.
    OKHawk, how does this effect you ?

The Rude Pundit
    ‏ @rudepundit
    7m7 minutes ago

Oklahoma teacher at yesterday's rally: "I work two jobs to take care

of my family and be able to buy things for my classroom."

In the last 10+ years, OK cut taxes on the wealthy and then cut education spending

. https://rudepundit.blogspot.ca/2018/...-all-down.html

It doesn't affect me at all. I got the hell out of teaching in OK as fast as I could. I currently have 7 jobs, 1 full time at a local community college and 6 part time online teaching jobs. OK taxes the hell out of me for "state income tax" yet NONE of my jobs are in OK or online via OK schools. Those who say our educational system is broken are right, though that's only one angle of the problem. Most of the teachers I know or used to know left teaching entirely or left the state of OK because literally everybody pays better.

If you want to find out why the costs have gone up so much you could check out these links (keep in mind these aren't the assistant principals or assistant superintendents, or athletic directors, or coach only coaches (little or no teaching duty), technology folks, and so on):

http://oklahomawatch.org/2016/03/06/school-superintendent-salaries/

http://www.sde.ok.gov/sde/sites/ok.gov.sde/files/documents/files/FY15%20FEB%20Prin%20.pdf

http://okcfox.com/news/local/oklahomas-schools-get-billions-to-spend-where-does-the-money-go

http://oklahomawatch.org/2014/06/28/...dministration/http://oklahomawatch.org/2014/06/28/...dministration/

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/the-case-against-high-school-sports/309447/

Our educational system is broken because teachers aren't (or at least weren't when I was in it) to really teach, it was always more about keeping the kids busy, keeping the kids relatively happy, the parents relatively happy, and keeping the administrators relatively happy. About 90% of your discipline is based on the "bluff" factor. If you try to punish little Johnny when he's being a little **** he goes home and gets mommy and daddy to come up there and chew on that administrator and tell him to "get that teacher in line" and they will since they want to keep their jobs.

Therefore there isn't much in the way of discipline in the public schools so therefore there isn't that much learning going on. I know of several schools in AR where they literally aren't allow go give any student a grade lower than a C, regardless of their effort levels and quality of work. Imagine what that does to the effort levels. This is why nearly half of our students can't write a sentence or do simple math when they get here, and we have to put them into remedial courses before they can actually begin their real education.

As for the 32 weeks thing, I don't know where that came from. We have 4 9-week terms which equals 36 weeks, at least 1 week before the semester starts and after the semester ends, teacher's meetings, parent-teacher conferences, in service, professional development, and most places they push you to get certified in other things or work on your masters during the Summer, and that's not counting all the "extra duties" playground duty, working at ball games, hall duty, and all the other stuff. And I don't know how many "free periods" thethe's brother got, but I got one a day, which was just barely enough to make copies and prepare for that day's classes, let alone grade anything from the previous one. Also, what kind of class sizes did he have? I always had from 140-160 total students, sometimes even more.

I will challenge anybody who is so sure of how little teachers do in an average school day or school year to try it; go through all the education stuff, subject matter stuff, student teaching, probationary period, boat loads of certification tests, licensure process just to become a teacher, then look for a job, then when you finally find one you go into the classroom where the kids don't just think they have at least as much power as you, the know it, then try to teach them enough to really make them better. Sure most of them will go along with you teaching them a little, they expect that, but anything above and beyond the bare minimum, forget it and when they misbehave try to punish them. I realize not every schools system is like this, some are actually dedicated to quality, but it isn't as many as you think.

Bottom line, because teachers typically belong to unions, they are judged by the anti-union sentiment of just about everybody in power in a red state. They are thought to block vote Democratic so they're on the **** list of talk radio on down. The truth of the matter is, very few of the teachers I used to work with would vote for Dems, typically because of the moral issues. So, they would almost all vote for Repubs even knowing the Repubs were going to think of them as **** and treat them like **** every opportunity they got. If teachers were perceived to block vote Repub, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So, Steak Sauce my friend, are you sorry you asked yet? ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Last edited by 57Brave; 04-03-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Have you shifted your argument from "Republicans have crippled the education system" to "teachers are underpaid?"(which I'm sure you also blame Republicans for)

Because, you're still wrong

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffrey...re-both-myths/

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Have you shifted your argument from "Republicans have crippled the education system" to "teachers are underpaid?"(which I'm sure you also blame Republicans for)

Because, you're still wrong

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffrey...re-both-myths/
    sturg or one of our other money guys, can you explain to me what all goes into these "median salary chart thingies" and yes I know what median is. I've been teaching for 25 years now (as of next month) and I just now make about the amount listed there as "median". Somebody help me out here. Are these just teacher's salaries, or teacher's salaries plus some creative combination of salaries + benefits, or teacher's salaries plus those of administrators, etc.?