Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braves get Schimpf

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The easy answer to the question...

Who do you jettison to create room to put Peterson back on the 40-Man?

Keep Rio and let him have the ABs you don't give Camargo at 3B. Send Adams down and keep Santana and DPete as OFs 4/5 until Acuna comes back up - Santana can be the backup CF until then and you can platoon Peterson and Tucker in LF to provide some pop. Cut Santana loose when the Manchild's clock starts.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Keep Rio and let him have the ABs you don't give Camargo at 3B. Send Adams down and keep Santana and DPete as OFs 4/5 until Acuna comes back up - Santana can be the backup CF until then and you can platoon Peterson and Tucker in LF to provide some pop. Cut Santana loose when the Manchild's clock starts.
    Why does Peterson need to be placed back on the forty-man? He passed through waivers, as I recall, so he’s good for a minor-league assignment.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-12-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Why does Peterson need to be placed back on the forty-man? He passed through waivers, as I recall, so he’s good for a minor-league assignment.
    If he winds up being Tucker's platoon-mate, he can't exactly fill that role as a member of Gwinnett's roster.

Adams actually doesn't have an option remaining, so he can't be sent down without passing through waivers, but I don't imagine there are many people that would consider losing him if he were claimed to be a huge mistake with much better offensive guys like Peterson, Santana, and Acuna (two weeks in) to replace him.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-12-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    If he winds up being Tucker's platoon-mate, he can't exactly fill that role as a member of Gwinnett's roster.

Adams actually doesn't have an option remaining, so he can't be sent down without passing through waivers, but I don't imagine there are many people that would consider losing him if he were claimed to be a huge mistake with much better offensive guys like Peterson, Santana, and Acuna (two weeks in) to replace him.
    My guess is that in the two weeks before Acuna gets called up, it will be mostly Tucker and Santana in left. Both have had strong springs and have a bit more experience than Peterson.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-13-2018), jpx7 (03-12-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

Ok. But I see no reason Peterson needs to be Tucker’s platoon-mate. Wouldn’t it be better to let him further refine his hitting in AAA, and utilize one of the Braves’ already-fortied options, rather than performing complicated roster finagling just to provide Peterson with a few weeks of semi-regular MLB PAs (only to relegate him, post-Acuña, to the bench, or more likely re-relegate him to AAA)?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-12-2018), clvclv (03-13-2018), Jaw (03-14-2018), JohnAdcox (03-13-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Where do I start?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-13-2018), JohnAdcox (03-13-2018), jpx7 (03-12-2018), Super (03-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Ok. But I see no reason Peterson needs to be Tucker’s platoon-mate. Wouldn’t it be better to let him further refine his hitting in AAA, and utilize one of the Braves’ already-fortied options, rather than performing complicated roster finagling just to provide Peterson with a few weeks of semi-regular MLB PAs (only to relegate him, post-Acuña, to the bench, or more likely re-relegate him to AAA)?
    I agree. Plus Santana also isn't a legit back-up for CF (-9 DRS in a small sample there last few years, -2 DRS in only 18 innings last year with us). And despite his good ST his track record with the bat isn't good. So I totally disagree with folks here wanting Adams dropped for him so bad after Adams put up an over .800 OPS last year, can play all three OF positions, and went ten for ten in steal attempts. Plus Adams is out of options while Santana can be brought up from AAA later if needed.

I'd also add that going with Santana would mean certainly needing Acuna sooner rather than later. But AA might not want to decide that till later.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-14-2018), jpx7 (03-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Clv gonna clv... best case scenario... Markakis has a strong first half, DPete shows that last year was all about injury and lights it up in AAA. Markakis gets traded to a contender, Acuna takes over in right (although Markakis is prob gonna be in left when Acuna is up? Whatever you get my drift) and DPete gets his shot to prove he's legit.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-14-2018), jpx7 (03-13-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I agree. Plus Santana also isn't a legit back-up for CF (-9 DRS in a small sample there last few years, -2 DRS in only 18 innings last year with us). And despite his good ST his track record with the bat isn't good. So I totally disagree with folks here wanting Adams dropped for him so bad after Adams put up an over .800 OPS last year, can play all three OF positions, and went ten for ten in steal attempts. Plus Adams is out of options while Santana can be brought up from AAA later if needed.

I'd also add that going with Santana would mean certainly needing Acuna sooner rather than later. But AA might not want to decide that till later.
    You need to check Adams' DRS in CF. Not much better than Santana's. Whoever goes north is going to be a lousy back-up in CF.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-13-2018), Jaw (03-14-2018), jpx7 (03-13-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post

Wait. I am not saying I prefer Santana over Adams. But that argument was full of holes. First Adams is a horrible defender. Second you literally criticized folks for not being excited about Santana because of a small sample and then used 100 abs as a stat. Third it is for a few weeks. Let scrimp come up and fan the stadium for two weeks. They can do some promotions around him. First 30K fans get a shrimp shaped portable fan.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You need to check Adams' DRS in CF. Not much better than Santana's. Whoever goes north is going to be a lousy back-up in CF.
    I don’t think Lane or Santana are much of an asset. I say go with the hotter of the 2, which is DS right now

19. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Wait. I am not saying I prefer Santana over Adams. But that argument was full of holes. First Adams is a horrible defender. Second you literally criticized folks for not being excited about Santana because of a small sample and then used 100 abs as a stat. Third it is for a few weeks. Let scrimp come up and fan the stadium for two weeks. They can do some promotions around him. First 30K fans get a shrimp shaped portable fan.
    Save shrimp for June. March/April will be quite pleasant

21. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-14-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Save shrimp for June. March/April will be quite pleasant
    True
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    All legitimate options and questions.

It's a simple question folks - not that much to get worked up over.

The point is (just as many others have made before), Schimpf simply can't make contact. Now Adams and Rio are having similar problems. Just about all those guys are 25th-man options at best, including Santana.

If the choice of infielders came down to Schimpf or Ruiz, I'd take Rio. That would give you two options at 1B (Freeman and Ruiz), three options at 2B (Ozzie, Camargo, and Culberson), three options at SS (Swanson, Camargo, and Ozzie), and two options or a platoon at 3B (Camargo and Ruiz). All of those options make more contact than Schimpf.

People around here have generally complained about Adams pretty consistently other than the once in a while SB or good play. Someone pointed out his defense isn't markedly better than Santana's in CF, and we're only talking about needing someone to be Ender's backup for two weeks until Acuna arrives. Inciarte usually plays just about every day to begin with, so we're not talking about needing to be incredibly worried about the emergency CF's defense - the Ender "replacement" will be here in mid-April in the event he misses extended time.

Assuming you're trying to fill the bench with legitimate pinch-hitters, I'd personally rank the "non-starters" as hitters in this order...

Suzuki
    Tucker
    Peterson
    Santana
    Ruiz
    Culberson
    Adams
    Schimpf

While keeping the "best" of that bunch will require some roster juggling, what's the big deal? Is anyone seriously going to lose any sleep if another team claims Adams or Schimpf if AA tries to slip them through waivers to tuck them away in Gwinnett? While I don't disagree that you'd like to see DPete continue to get regular ABs, he's your top RH option as a PH based on that list (assuming Snitker holds off on using Suzuki until as late as possible as everyone would expect), so it's not like he's going to be "buried" on the days he doesn't play against lefties at the big league level.

Unless you're someone (not you personally jpx7) who honestly believes Peterson's going to turn into the Braves' everyday LF down the line, where's the harm in using him now if he's shown that he's your best option as a bat off the bench? If he struggles before Acuna comes back up (or shows he can't thrive without everyday ABs), send him back down at that point - it's not like you're going to lose a controllable year if he has to go back down (particularly if you're not able to unload Markakis at some point).

Like I said, I don't see it as a big deal - just looking to upgrade the bench as much as possible, and I don't think Schimpf or Adams do much to help on that front. Since both are on the 40-Man Roster, you really don't have to do much "finagling" to replace them with Peterson and Santana other than DFA them, and you create Acuna's spot by DFAing Santana two weeks in (or sending Peterson back down).
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-13-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    This is simply not true, Adams had a -1 DRS in CF last year with us in over 60 innings. Adams is about average in CF, nothing special but he can play CF fine. Santana should stick to the corners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    First Adams is a horrible defender.
    No, Adams isn't a horrible defender. Y'all keep asserting that but it isn't true. The hate Adams gets on this board is silly.

Also, Santana is a bad defender in CF but does fine playing the corners.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-13-2018 at 04:56 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    DRS is not an appropriate stat to use with a sample size of 60 innings.

According to Catch Percentage Added, of 207 OFers with 25+ chances...

Santana ranked #64 in 2017
    LAdams ranked #139 in 2017

Santana ranked #144 in 2016.

According to Sprint Speed, Santana (28.8) and LAdams (29.1) are essentially the same speed, and should have approximately the same range.

I would say both guys are adequate (but below average) backups in CF defensively. If they were plus defenders in CF they probably wouldn't be bench players.

I just wish the Braves could find a decent RHed hitter for the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Actually, this proves nothing and you know it. Sure, Santana has shown that he is "below average" in CF. While Adams hasn't even played there enough in the Majors to prove anything. That is the point of noting his -1 DRS there. However, I contend he is average in CF based on watching him play there in the minors and with a bigger sample that will show up in the stats.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    DRS is not an appropriate stat to use with a sample size of 60 innings.

According to Catch Percentage Added, of 207 OFers with 25+ chances...

Santana ranked #64 in 2017
    LAdams ranked #139 in 2017

Santana ranked #144 in 2016.

According to Sprint Speed, Santana (28.8) and LAdams (29.1) are essentially the same speed, and should have approximately the same range.

I would say both guys are adequate (but below average) backups in CF defensively. If they were plus defenders in CF they probably wouldn't be bench players.

Those guys used to be relatively easy to find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I expect Flowers/Suzuki to be used in high leverage pinch hitting situations from the 8th inning onward. Especially against lefties. But some against righties too since neither has pronounced splits.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."