Page 104 of 204 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 4079

Thread: Economics Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe in your legal stats. No Mexicans coming here is a joke. Read about the chicken plant raids here
    I said approximately 0%. You know how rounding works. Less than 0.5% of Mexicans coming into this country go to Mississippi. But yeah there are Mexican immigrants in Mississippi. For some reason more go to Arkansas. Probably more jobs in the poultry plants.

As I said the point really is about health care access. We can do a lot better. It's not because people are fat that we have an acceptably high proportion of African American women dying during childbirth in this country. It's a reflection of bad policy and neglect.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-29-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    African Americans get treated badly in blue states too. Every waste treatment plant in NY City is north of 96th street, which for many years served as a kind of dividing line between white and black New York.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Are stillbirth deaths broken down by reason? Just curious why black babies die at a higher rate

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    And Mississippi is the worst in the USA in this stat? Wouldn't you compare Mississippi to each of those countries worst province/state/whatever?
    He’s just ****ting on Mississippi because it’s a Red State. That’s all this is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I changed the subject slightly to deaths giving birth. An African American woman is 3 to 4 times as likely to die from pregnancy or childbirth than a white woman. And our numbers for white women are not great compared to other rich countries.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Why not compare the AA Birth rates in Mississippi to the AA birth rates in those third world countries? You are after all talking about blacks and not immigrants
    feel free to provide data...i don't think there are many AA births in other countries...but maybe you can find something

"I am your retribution."

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    He won’t compare the African American Mississippi numbers to those of the DR, Haiti and Africa because it’ll show the Mississippi numbers are far better than those countries. So he compare African American Mississippi numbers to Latino Numbers

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    feel free to provide data...i don't think there are many AA births in other countries...but maybe you can find something
    They don’t keep numbers in the Caribbean and in Africa? They are full of AA births

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    He won’t compare the African American Mississippi numbers to those of the DR, Haiti and Africa because it’ll show the Mississippi numbers are far better than those countries. So he compare African American Mississippi numbers to Latino Numbers
    I think another poster already put up the infant mortality data for Mexico, Colombia and Costa Rica.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    ]

They don’t keep numbers in the Caribbean and in Africa? They are full of AA births
    Nope, not many AA births in any of those countries. There are black Dominicans, but they are not African American.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    ]

Anyhow if you bring yourself to do a google search you would find that pretty much every country has data on infant mortality.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Bahamas and Jamaica for example have infant mortality rates about the same as Mexico.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Nope, not many AA births in any of those countries. There are black Dominicans, but they are not African American.
    Well, they are Americans of African ancestry. I dare say black Dominicans typically have more African ancestry than their distant relatives in the US, so they're likely more African-American.

Either way, the key takeaway here is how ridiculous it is to hyphenate Americans. Emperor Jaw would make any type of demographic hyphenation a hate crime within boogy first 100 days in office.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The reason I picked Mississippi as an example was I think that is what you ( msstate7 )see everyday.
    Or maybe you just drive by - I dont know

The woman in the meme did not specify a state or region, just " America "
    Specifically "black America" (has known for a long time)
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-29-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Well, they are Americans of African ancestry. I dare say black Dominicans typically have more African ancestry than their distant relatives in the US, so they're likely more African-American.

Either way, the key takeaway here is how ridiculous it is to hyphenate Americans. Emperor Jaw would make any type of demographic hyphenation a hate crime within boogy first 100 days in office.
    There is a small group of Dominicans descended from freed slaves who left the United States before the Civil War. Mostly they live on the Samaná Peninsula and are referred to by other Dominicans as "los americanos de Samaná."

that's my piece of trivia for the evening

oh and Ulysses S Grant wanted to annex the Dominican Republic...sorta like very poorly chosen one and Greenland...one of his reasons for wanting to do so was to provide African Americans with a safe haven from the KKK
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-29-2020 at 10:46 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    There is a small group of Dominicans descended from freed slaves who left the United States before the Civil War. Mostly they live on the Samaná Peninsula and are referred to by other Dominicans as "los americanos de Samaná."

that's my piece of trivia for the evening

oh and Ulysses S Grant wanted to annex the Dominican Republic...sorta like very poorly chosen one and Greenland...one of his reasons for wanting to do so was to provide African Americans with a safe haven from the KKK
    We should have annexed both, but Greenland will be more valuable in our globally warmer future. I wonder if US citizens are allowed to own land there? A few acres of permafrost tundra may be valuable by the time my kids need to retire.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    We should have annexed both, but Greenland will be more valuable in our globally warmer future. I wonder if US citizens are allowed to own land there? A few acres of permafrost tundra may be valuable by the time my kids need to retire.
    Canada and Russia are obviously going to be the big winners. Starting with major shifts in agricultural production. Alaska will boom.

"I am your retribution."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    http://sjvsun.com/covid-19/calif-dis...king-them-pay/

As major producers of hand sanitizer faced a shrinking workforce and sky-high demand in the spring, one unlikely group of businesses – craft distillers – stepped up to increase the supply for panicked consumers.

Now, the Federal government is expecting distillers who rose to the occasion to alleviate the shortage pay the piper.

Tuesday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration unveiled a new set of fees for organizations operating as “monograph drug facilities” producing over-the-counter drugs.

“At the beginning of the pandemic the FDA and our communities called out for help and distillers enthusiastically stepped up to the plate and provided an essential product to medical workers and first responders,” Bergh said in an interview on Wednesday.

“It’s apparent the FDA has decided they don’t need us anymore and it’s in their best interest to suck us dry when we’re already struggling during the pandemic’s business closures.”

The FDA’s facility fee for hand sanitizer producers runs $14,060 for fiscal year 2021.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    http://sjvsun.com/covid-19/calif-dis...king-them-pay/

As major producers of hand sanitizer faced a shrinking workforce and sky-high demand in the spring, one unlikely group of businesses – craft distillers – stepped up to increase the supply for panicked consumers.

Now, the Federal government is expecting distillers who rose to the occasion to alleviate the shortage pay the piper.

Tuesday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration unveiled a new set of fees for organizations operating as “monograph drug facilities” producing over-the-counter drugs.

“At the beginning of the pandemic the FDA and our communities called out for help and distillers enthusiastically stepped up to the plate and provided an essential product to medical workers and first responders,” Bergh said in an interview on Wednesday.

“It’s apparent the FDA has decided they don’t need us anymore and it’s in their best interest to suck us dry when we’re already struggling during the pandemic’s business closures.”

The FDA’s facility fee for hand sanitizer producers runs $14,060 for fiscal year 2021.
    There is nothing worse than government

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Monopoly Was Designed to Teach the 99% About Income Inequality

Magie worked as a stenographer and typist at the Dead Letter Office in Washington, D.C., a repository for the nation’s lost mail. But she also appeared in plays, and wrote poetry and short stories. In 1893, she patented a gadget that fed different-sized papers through a typewriter and allowed more type on a single page. And in 1904, Magie received a patent for an invention she called the Landlord’s Game, a square board with nine rectangular spaces on each side, set between corners labeled “Go to Jail” and “Public Park.” Players circled the board buying up railroads, collecting money and paying rent. She made up two sets of rules, “monopolist” and “anti-monopolist,” but her stated goal was to demonstrate the evils of accruing vast sums of wealth at the expense of others. A firebrand against the railroad, steel and oil monopolists of her time, she told a reporter in 1906, “In a short time, I hope a very short time, men and women will discover that they are poor because Carnegie and Rockefeller, maybe, have more than they know what to do with.”

The Landlord’s Game was sold for a while by a New York-based publisher, but it spread freely in passed-along homemade versions: among intellectuals along the Eastern Seaboard, fraternity brothers at Williams College, Quakers living in Atlantic City, writers and radicals like Upton Sinclair.

It was a Quaker iteration that Darrow copied and sold to Parker Brothers in 1935, along with his tall tale of inspired creation, a new design by his friend F.O. Alexander, a political cartoonist, and what is surely one of U.S. history’s most-repeated spelling errors: “Marvin Gardens,” which a friend of Darrow’s had mistranscribed from “Marven Gardens,” a neighborhood in the Atlantic City area.

Magie, by then married to a Virginia businessman (but still apparently a committed anti-monopolist), sold her patent to Parker Brothers for $500 the same year, initially thrilled that her tool for teaching about economic inequality would finally reach the masses.

Well, she was half right.

Monopoly became a hit, selling 278,000 copies in its first year and more than 1,750,000 the next. But the game lost its connection to Magie and her critique of American greed,
    and instead came to mean pretty much the opposite of what she’d hoped. It has taught generations to cheer when someone goes into bankruptcy.

As for Magie, I discovered a curious trace of her while searching through newly digitized federal records. In the 1940 census, taken eight years before she died, she listed her occupation as a “maker of games.” In the column for her income she wrote, “0.”
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR