Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 4079

Thread: Economics Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    not good for high frequency traders

but actually not a bad idea...there is a lot to be said for curbing the types of trading strategies associated with high frequency trading
    Definitely agree with this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (03-18-2021)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Definitely agree with this.
    It's never a good idea to give our racist tyrannical government more power and money.

Literally never

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It's never a good idea to give our racist tyrannical government more power and money.

Literally never
    High frequency trading and other day traders don’t actually add value to the system. The amount of work one has to put in to earn a dollar via other means is far greater than that of this group.

I’m no fan of big government but I just think we have terrible priorities in spending. You know we don’t agree on areas like this but you are right in that our government has proven it doesn’t deserve any additional funding.

Like anything the devil is in the details. I wouldn’t want to charge this to people under a 500k threshold. But all others plus business entities engaging in these activities could just add another expense line to their financials.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    not good for high frequency traders

but actually not a bad idea...there is a lot to be said for curbing the types of trading strategies associated with high frequency trading
    There are a couple of problems with what is proposed. First, you need to be careful whenever you take money out of investments. If anything, we need to encourage people to invest more. Investments are the lifeblood of growth and innovation. So be careful messing around with stuff like this.

Next, it's bringing a sledgehammer to the problem. A retail investor moving $50K around on day trades is not causing a problem here. A hedgefund using its power to manipulate the market is. However, there are better ways to address this problem than slapping a tax on all trades and saying it will somehow help "income inequality."

Finally, this kind of thing will be another step spooking the market. Right now you have a lot of investors that have very, very little confidence in Biden's economic policy and believe he'll be bad for the market. They're afraid of inflation from the stimulus packages. They're afraid of tax increases. And now you have a group of Senators talking about taxing trades when a united Democratic party could actually push it through under reconciliation. If you keep doing this kind of stuff you'll end up with a crash on your hands. Not something you want when you should be seeing an economic recovery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    There are a couple of problems with what is proposed. First, you need to be careful whenever you take money out of investments. If anything, we need to encourage people to invest more. Investments are the lifeblood of growth and innovation. So be careful messing around with stuff like this.

Next, it's bringing a sledgehammer to the problem. A retail investor moving $50K around on day trades is not causing a problem here. A hedgefund using its power to manipulate the market is. However, there are better ways to address this problem than slapping a tax on all trades and saying it will somehow help "income inequality."

Finally, this kind of thing will be another step spooking the market. Right now you have a lot of investors that have very, very little confidence in Biden's economic policy and believe he'll be bad for the market. They're afraid of inflation from the stimulus packages. They're afraid of tax increases. And now you have a group of Senators talking about taxing trades when a united Democratic party could actually push it through under reconciliation. If you keep doing this kind of stuff you'll end up with a crash on your hands. Not something you want when you should be seeing an economic recovery.
    we are gonna have a correction....but its because the market is so far ahead of its skis not because of the reasons you listed
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    we are gonna have a correction....but its because the market is so far ahead of its skis not because of the reasons you listed
    Agreed, however we don't need the government shoving it while ahead of its skis or throwing up trees in its path.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    AT&T will now start counting steaming video on HBO Max towards its customers' data allowances.

The change comes after a federal court said that California can enforce its net neutrality law, which prevents Internet Service Providers from blocking or slowing down traffic to particular applications or websites. California's law also bans "zero-rating" or "sponsored data" plans that allow ISPs to exempt some services from a user's data cap.

AT&T said in a blog post on Wednesday that the new measure means it can no longer provide certain services to its customers for free. That includes the HBO Max streaming service that the company developed when it merged with Timer Warner in an $85 billion deal in 2018.

The telecom company also dismissed as "unworkable" California's net neutrality law, one of a handful of such laws that states have enacted.

"A state-by-state approach to 'net neutrality' is unworkable. A patchwork of state regulations, many of them overly restrictive, creates roadblocks to creative and pro-consumer solutions," AT&T said in its blog post. The change will also be applied beyond California, AT&T added.

Prior to the California net neutrality law, companies in that state were allowed to "sponsor" or pay for the data usage of their customers who are also using AT&T services. Those customers were able to stream applications without being charged from their AT&T data allowance, the company said in the blog post.

AT&T will not offer Data Free TV for free anymore starting March 25, according to CNBC.

Good job California. If this spreads it will impact all of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    ATT could just eliminate the data caps, but they would rather use the opportunity to grandstand. In a time when big tech is proving itself untrustworthy, net neutrality is more important than ever.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-07-2021)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    At what cost? Can she show her work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    At what cost? Can she show her work?
    crazy...she should have been in the previous administration

tariffs may have saved some jobs here...but the cost to consumers have far outweighed any benefits

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (04-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Keeping as much COGS and SG&A on US companies domestic financial statements will be an overwhelming net positive for the country. You cannot put a price tag on being able to support your family from the sweat of your brow.

The cost to the consumer is spread out on such a large scale that it is barely noticeable to the individual consumer. The aggregate number is a misleading figure. What’s most important is that we support the family unit and the principal way to do to that is to ensure there are good paying jobs that aren’t undercut by slave labor across the globe.

The additional costs are just a fraction of the overall benefit to our society to have stable families.

I’m not sure why some are so slow to see this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Good thing that person doesnt work for a President who considers it a fireable offense to say anything positive about the previous President. Free speech alive and well now that Trump is gone.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Good thing that person doesnt work for a President who considers it a fireable offense to say anything positive about the previous President. Free speech alive and well now that Trump is gone.
    Yeah but Biden views smoking pot as a fireable offense and this woman’s stance on tariffs leads me to believe she’s high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Yeah but Biden views smoking pot as a fireable offense and this woman’s stance on tariffs leads me to believe she’s high.
    Probably not on pot.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Good to know that there are still people that support slave labor on these boards.

Missing the Forrest for the trees.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (04-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Good to know that there are still people that support slave labor on these boards.

Missing the Forrest for the trees.
    I disagree with you on tarrifs.

But I have evolved on my willingness to do business with China in the name of profit. They are using us and infiltrating us at every opportunity, and executing a modern day genocide in the process.

I'm a free market person. But the rest of the world isn't playing. I have to accept that and evolve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I disagree with you on tarrifs.

But I have evolved on my willingness to do business with China in the name of profit. They are using us and infiltrating us at every opportunity, and executing a modern day genocide in the process.

I'm a free market person. But the rest of the world isn't playing. I have to accept that and evolve
    “Market efficiencies” only exist because they are borne from slave labor.

They aren’t real.
    Natural Immunity Croc