Page 193 of 204 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 4079

Thread: Economics Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I do think there’s ways women can be better supported (and indirectly better compensated), with respect to having careers and beings moms. At my work I have seen women whose career’s stall out in their late 20’s when they begin having kids between maternity leave, childcare ( if your kid is ever sick that’s a week they aren’t going to daycare). Basically, if a woman has three children that’s 5-8 years where they won’t be progressing in their career.
    Just mocking the issue as many on the right do doesn’t help us long term to solving it. My lady is incredibly motivated and wants to have personal success despite not needing to work. Expecting them to shut off and do nothing to help is what loses elections for the normal party.

Sadly, a big portion of the right has converted to hating women (typically after a bad experience).
    Last edited by thethe; 01-14-2024 at 12:18 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    I do think there’s ways women can be better supported (and indirectly better compensated), with respect to having careers and beings moms. At my work I have seen women whose career’s stall out in their late 20’s when they begin having kids between maternity leave, childcare ( if your kid is ever sick that’s a week they aren’t going to daycare). Basically, if a woman has three children that’s 5-8 years where they won’t be progressing in their career.
    I agree but the gender pay gap isn't due to any discrimination.

My wife is a surgeon. She makes a ton of incomd. She has a male counterpart who makes the same salary + $ per procedure. The male counterpart is constantly networking, doing research on the side, getting published, doing surgeries on the weekends, etc. My wife wants to come home and spend time with the family. That's fine by me, but she can't get angry when her male counterpart earns more money despite having the same degree and same job, etc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I agree but the gender pay gap isn't due to any discrimination.

My wife is a surgeon. She makes a ton of incomd. She has a male counterpart who makes the same salary + $ per procedure. The male counterpart is constantly networking, doing research on the side, getting published, doing surgeries on the weekends, etc. My wife wants to come home and spend time with the family. That's fine by me, but she can't get angry when her male counterpart earns more money despite having the same degree and same job, etc
    Do you agree that women have a more difficult time navigating career progression than men do the reasons I mentioned above?

I agree it’s not discrimination, but there are structural challenges that women face than men don’t. I say this as someone who has a pregnant working wife and a 2 year old and there’s simply more family care demands on her than me. She’s going to take 6 month off for maternity leave and that’s likely going to impact her timeline for promotions, etc. It’s easy to see why white collar women stopped having children. And I think that’s a growing societal concern that the middle class and above aren’t having enough kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    Do you agree that women have a more difficult time navigating career progression than men do the reasons I mentioned above?

I agree it’s not discrimination, but there are structural challenges that women face than men don’t. I say this as someone who has a pregnant working wife and a 2 year old and there’s simply more family care demands on her than me. She’s going to take 6 month off for maternity leave and that’s likely going to impact her timeline for promotions, etc. It’s easy to see why white collar women stopped having children. And I think that’s a growing societal concern that the middle class and above aren’t having enough kids.
    Absolutely. Women have it harder than men to advance their career if they want to raise a family.

I am not sure what ways to solve thar other than businesses giving special advantages ro them, and from my experience that is already happening at very large corporations. But I don't think it's fair to demand businesses to sacrifice profit and productivity

My issue with the pay gap argument for years is that the feminists claim discrimination instead of the reality of the situation.

As for the childless women issue... it's a complete catastrophe for society. But I blame this on the feminist movement, not the career advancement structure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Saw this on IG-

Economy is so good that a random girl on the internet wouldn’t get naked for 100$ during the Trump years but will for 3.99 on OF now. Way to drive the price down Joe !
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,744 Posts
    Here you complaining about deflation ....
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,302 Posts
    Absolutely. Women have it harder than men to advance their career if they want to raise a family.

I am not sure what ways to solve thar other than businesses giving special advantages ro them, and from my experience that is already happening at very large corporations. But I don't think it's fair to demand businesses to sacrifice profit and productivity

My issue with the pay gap argument for years is that the feminists claim discrimination instead of the reality of the situation.

As for the childless women issue... it's a complete catastrophe for society. But I blame this on the feminist movement, not the career advancement structure
    I do think there’s some dishonesty when the issue is framed as “equal pay for equal work”. Where is the evidence that a company is paying a 23 (F) less than a 23 (M) for the same job.

To me the issue is essentially this.

Option A - working women choose to have children and sacrifice significant compensation, promotion, and get passed over for projects, etc (which in turn impact promotions, compensation, and resume).

Option B - not option A

Society needs more women to choose option A but there isn’t much external incentive to do that. The cherry on top is that it’s basically required for husband and wife to both work to afford home, etc.

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as blaming feminists.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,302 Posts
    I do think there’s some dishonesty when the issue is framed as “equal pay for equal work”. Where is the evidence that a company is paying a 23 (F) less than a 23 (M) for the same job.

Option A - working women choose to have children and sacrifice significant compensation, promotion, and get passed over for projects, etc (which in turn impact promotions, compensation, and resume).

Option B - not option A

Society needs more women to choose option A but there isn’t much external incentive to do that. The cherry on top is that it’s basically required for husband and wife to both work to afford home, etc.

To clarify, none of this is intended as a critique of what you said. I think we agree 90%, except for maybe my last sentence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts

Option B - not option A

Option A should be a celebrated choice by society. Nothing more important than raising the next generation and closeness with your children. It's more fulfilling for almost everyone.

And yet, feminists and society have villainozed option A as anti women, and celebrate sexual promiscuity in your 20s focusing on your career, etc. Now their in their 30s childless and miserable and they take it out on the rest of us

The economy also sucks... which is why libertarianism is the way... kill the fed and stop the inflation that have robbed people of their freedom to do what they wish

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,302 Posts
    Option A should be a celebrated choice by society. Nothing more important than raising the next generation and closeness with your children. It's more fulfilling for almost everyone.

And yet, feminists and society have villainozed option A as anti women, and celebrate sexual promiscuity in your 20s focusing on your career, etc. Now their in their 30s childless and miserable and they take it out on the rest of us

The economy also sucks... which is why libertarianism is the way... kill the fed and stop the inflation that have robbed people of their freedom to do what they wish
    What does celebrated by society mean? I think we have been plenty supported and congratulated. But that doesn’t make the financial hit any less hard. Personally, it’s still a no brainer to have children. But I think plenty of would be parents don’t take the plunge because the math doesn’t make sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Glad to see antitrust action of this sort winning in court. The consolidation that has been allowed in the air transportation industry and other industries has been very harmful to consumers and the economy generally.

https://www.wsj.com/business/airline...d=hp_lead_pos1

A federal judge on Tuesday blocked JetBlue Airways from acquiring Spirit Airlines, agreeing with the Justice Department that the $3.8 billion deal would eliminate a competitor important to price-conscious travelers.

The Justice Department said JetBlue’s purchase of Spirit would remove an ultra-low-cost carrier that benefits travelers and puts pressure on other airlines to keep down fares. Removing Spirit as a rival would free JetBlue to raise prices by as much as 30%, the government said. JetBlue is the country’s sixth-largest carrier, and Spirit ranks seventh.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    What about Big Sandwich ?!?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    What about Big Sandwich ?!?
    eh there are tools such as the Herfindahl–Hirschman Index that allow us to have an idea which industries are concentrated and which ones are fairly competitive (even after a proposed merger). The fact that Elizabeth Warren is ignorant of such thangs doesn't mean everyone else has to be as well.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Hirsch doesn’t know sandwiches. I bet he’s a big subway simp.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    But Herf is a connoisseur

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    But Herf is a connoisseur
    Sounds like someone who eats only open sandwiches. Very unamerican.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Sounds like someone who eats only open sandwiches. Very unamerican.
    proudly unamerican...bánh mì all the way baby

"I am your retribution."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in