Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 4079

Thread: Economics Thread

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I’m well aware that my ideology differentiates from lots of republicans. I’m very comfortable with that.
    You must fit into this box!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Commies still fall for this. Anti data losers who need others to support them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The dems are passing a relief bill that is 1,000% of Jeff Bezos entire net worth,and that is resulting in $1,400 for adults who make less than $80k.

But somehow unconstitutionally raising taxes on a few billionaires is gonna make the government efficient and make a difference for anyone?
    No. But I think it's generally unhealthy for a relative few to have as much power as vast wealth grants people in the modern world. That's why I would like to couple it with a PAC tax. The PAC tax would take some of the political power away, but the same people would still have access to power via media and tech companies, or many other avenues. Taxing overall wealth essentially makes it harder for incompetent billionaires to hang on to that power long term. Those who are left will at least have been among the fittest.

I also think it will remove some of the incentive to treat employees like they're just a number because the super tax will effectively cap individual earnings. It will be more sound to build for stability than to maximize profits.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    No. But I think it's generally unhealthy for a relative few to have as much power as vast wealth grants people in the modern world. That's why I would like to couple it with a PAC tax. The PAC tax would take some of the political power away, but the same people would still have access to power via media and tech companies, or many other avenues. Taxing overall wealth essentially makes it harder for incompetent billionaires to hang on to that power long term. Those who are left will at least have been among the fittest.

I also think it will remove some of the incentive to treat employees like they're just a number because the super tax will effectively cap individual earnings. It will be more sound to build for stability than to maximize profits.
    The wealth gap is caused by fed intervention via zero interest rate and unlimited liquidity in markets. It makes the rich richer and the poorer.

Raising taxes does nothing for this. It simply gives the worst beaurocracy in the world more funds to enrich itself. We should work to reduce spending and government regulation everywhere to help people at the bottom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    After seeing how large corporations and the wealthy backed BLM and other Democrat causes I couldn’t care less about what happens with their wealth.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I’m well aware that my ideology differentiates from lots of republicans. I’m very comfortable with that.
    That's actually not a bad thing. Just between you and me, I wish it differentiated a tad bit more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Little thethe is turning into a commie before our eyes. I honestly did not see this one coming. Donalds landslide loss must have really broke him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Commies still fall for this. Anti data losers who need others to support them

Sorry dude, to each his own but Stossel's a dick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Sorry dude, to each his own but Stossel's a dick.
    Yeah you're still demanding school from home. Right?

Give me stossell

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Yeah you're still demanding school from home. Right?

Give me stossell
    Well first you can have Stossel, but when did I demand school from home? I get up and go to work every day and teach my classes. My "face to face classes" are taught from my office via Ring (we switched from Zoom) because I teach to 3 different campus sites, plus from my office computer I have access to more of my teaching materials and resources.

Just for the record I don't care for Stossel because he represents much of what I hate about Fox and/or Talk Radio. Their only solution for anything is to keep doing what we've been doing, you know the stuff that got us into this mess, and the only thing they're passionate about (him included) is taking a great big dump on anyone who wants to try something different. He may or may not be right about Bernie and AOC but since he doesn't offer a plausible alternative, just blind, negative, partisan, animosity building vitriol, meant to get the viewers to get drunk on their BS. Just my opinion though. Like I said, you can have him. Lord knows I won't miss him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (03-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I like this lady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I like this lady

I liked her explanation. About how it should be a separate piece of legislation. I could be wrong but it seemed to be a principled stand about how the Senate should operate. If that's true then it's a breath of fresh air in a chamber dominated all too often by achieving an end by whatever means.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    The dems are passing a relief bill that is 1,000% of Jeff Bezos entire net worth,and that is resulting in $1,400 for adults who make less than $80k.

But somehow unconstitutionally raising taxes on a few billionaires is gonna make the government efficient and make a difference for anyone?
    What is unconstitutional about raising the taxes of billionaires?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Why not raise taxes on just Jews? Just Latinos? Signaling a group out is a form of discrimination

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    The federal government can't simply tax wealth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Why not raise taxes on just Jews? Just Latinos? Signaling a group out is a form of discrimination
    Groups are singled out all the time by the government, especially for taxation. People with children get a tax credit that is denied to people without children. People who are paying mortgages or student loans have more tax deductions. People who by cigarettes are taxed more.

You could go into other areas too. There are subsidies that are only available to farmers. Blind people are denied drivers licenses. Young people are denied Social Security.

The government is not required to treat everyone equally. It is understood that not everyone is in the same situation and so the government's actions must be able to be varied to address different circumstances. The groups you listed (Jews and Latinos) are known as "suspect classes." Generally there are four suspect classes: race, religion, national origin, and alienage. Laws discriminating based on these are subjected to strict scrutiny. You can still have laws that discriminate based on a suspect class but you have to prove they are narrowly tailored to address a compelling government interest.

Discrimination based on other classifications receive different levels of scrutiny. Most often it's simply rational basis. This means if the government can articulate a rational basis for the law, it's valid.

So a tax on billionaires would certainly be subjected to the rational basis standard. Since the government can articulate a rational basis (billionaires are more able to shoulder a tax burden) it would be valid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    The federal government can't simply tax wealth
    This is an interesting question. Any wealth tax would certainly end up before the SCOTUS. It's actually something that even legal scholars disagree on. The issue would be whether this is a direct tax and whether it would have to be apportioned across the states by population. The SCOTUS has flip flopped on this issue so there's not much uniform case law on the subject. The SCOTUS famously struck down the income tax but has allowed other taxes, such as a tax on horse drawn carriages.

This would be a very, very big and very, very interesting case for the SCOTUS to tackle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Some big changes to the Fed's GDP growth forecast for 2021.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monet...bl20210317.pdf
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    https://thehill.com/policy/finance/5...ransaction-tax

Wow. What a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    https://thehill.com/policy/finance/5...ransaction-tax

Wow. What a terrible, TERRIBLE idea.
    not good for high frequency traders

but actually not a bad idea...there is a lot to be said for curbing the types of trading strategies associated with high frequency trading
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."