Thread: Economics Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    btw with respect to money in politics I have been impressed by recent massive waves of small donor contributions that have reshaped our politics: Obama in 2008, Sanders in 2016, Trump in 2016, Congressional Democrats in 2018. It was grass roots enthusiasm (manifested in part by massive waves of small donor contributions) that fueled those campaigns. Regardless of the individual outcomes (and I didn't like some of them), I think that's a very healthy thing for our republican form of government.

disclaimer: I have only contributed to one political campaign in my life. John McCain in 2008. When they called me for a second contribution, I requested my money back (due to his choice of Palin as running mate). I remember that call vividly.
    I was having dinner at a nice restaurant near the water. I stepped outside to the beach to take the call so that I wouldn't disturb the other diners. The call grew heated and I guess loud enough that I noticed some of the other diners were staring at me. Needless to say they didn't refund me.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-09-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."