Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 4079

Thread: Economics Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The standard bearer for your party goes on trial for rape tomorrow.
    The number 2's Surgeon Gwneral has been busted for cooking Covid books.
    Your prime time Pied Piper was fired for being a dick, in a building filled with dicks...
    But, let's talk about me
    Registered independent who doesn’t have to root for a letter. Lock them all up for all I care.

I’m happy though that you made the transition to Mastodon like everyone else did (for 5 minutes before they sulked back to Elonville)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I look at both.
    Photography and art are better represented on Mast
    Baseball and sport is better on Twitter

Never left Twitter but very rarely tweet.
    Pretty sure have not posted a thing on Mast, began lurking out of curiosity when Musk bought .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    have you learned how to embed tweets yet?
    No. What for ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    April 27, 2023 – Tifton, GA – The U.S. House Agriculture Subcommittee on General Farm Commodities, Risk Management and Credit held a hearing on Wednesday, April 26, entitled “Producer Perspectives on the 2023 Farm Bill.” Representing the U.S. Peanut Federation was Daniel McMillan of Southern Grace Farms in Enigma, Georgia.

In McMillan’s testimony, he presented peanut priorities for the 2023 Farm Bill, namely an increase in the reference price for the Price Loss Coverage (PLC) Program. Over the last few years, peanut growers have seen a significant increase in the cost of production. According to Dr. Stanley Fletcher of Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and Professor Emeritus at the University of Georgia, the 2021 cost of production was $545.97 per ton, and the 2022 cost of production is approximately $668 per ton.

McMillan outlined the financial stressors that peanut growers are facing on the farm, stating:

“In my home area, we saw fertilizer costs double from 2021 to 2022. Some products tripled in price. Currently, fertilizer prices are changing week to week preventing us from making informed management decisions. Commonly used fertilizers include diammonium phosphate (DAP), Potash, and Urea.

Crop protectant prices remain high which can pressure farmers to look for cheaper options, sometimes to the detriment of the crop. Labor costs continue to increase. We use H2A workers and have seen a 14 percent increase in labor costs through the recent U.S. Department of Labor Adverse Effect Wage Rate (AEWR) changes. We are still facing cost increases and business disruptions resulting from problems with the supply chain. This past week, we went to a local parts store to buy a bundle of small metal sweeps for a field cultivator. A simple wear part cost $2 each in 2021, but today is $6 each. This may not sound like much, but we are seeing this across hundreds of items totaling thousands of dollars in extra costs. We have had up to six-month delays in mechanical repairs for some tractors and trucks. Due to the short supply of tractors, even rental tractors have become scarce. We saw costs for one of our rental tractors move from $2,000 per month in 2019 to $3,500 per month in 2023 for the same tractor. These are all increases that make it difficult to plan and budget.”

McMillan also voiced the support of the U.S. Peanut Federation for a voluntary base update that includes growers with and without peanut base acres. While the 2014 Farm Bill allowed for base updating for peanut growers that already had base on their farms, it excluded many young farmers and new production areas.

Subcommittee Chairman Austin Scott (GA-08) opened the hearing, stating “Title I programs, specifically the Agricultural Risk Coverage and Price Loss Coverage—or ARC and PLC—were established in the 2014 Farm Bill and the reference prices used to determine assistance were set using 2012 cost of production data. Meanwhile, inflation has gone up significantly since 2012, and the price of most inputs have doubled or even tripled since 2021 alone. Farm sector debt is at record high levels, and net farm income is expected to fall 16 percent from 2022 to 2023. These warning signs underscore the importance of our work in the 2023 Farm Bill."

Great job Joe.
    Ivermectin Man

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    It literally always fails and yet leftist idiots still want it

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    man, no doubt

thankfully nothing ever closes under the capitalism flag

there is in no way a majority of people that want communism but you still think that cause you're dishonest or just stupid af. maybe both but I digress
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

there is in no way a majority of people that want communism but you still think that cause you're dishonest or just stupid af. maybe both but I digress
    ^^^

This is your brain on communism

Stupid as ****

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Feels like I’m constantly see these extreme downward revisions months after the fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Feels like I’m constantly see these extreme downward revisions months after the fact.

People with common sense can see it and feel it.

Meanwhile some people ask Bard.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts

Monthly occurrence.

Big blowout beat.

Quietly revised lower months lower

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    what is observer bias
    View other drafts

Observer bias, also known as detection bias or ascertainment bias, is a type of bias that occurs when the researcher's expectations, opinions, or prejudices influence what they perceive or record in a study. It usually affects studies when observers are aware of the research aims or hypotheses.

There are a number of ways that observer bias can occur. For example, observers may be more likely to notice or remember information that is consistent with their expectations. They may also be more likely to interpret ambiguous data in a way that supports their hypotheses.

Observer bias can lead to inaccurate conclusions about the effectiveness of a treatment or the prevalence of a condition. It is important to be aware of this bias and to take steps to minimize it when designing and conducting studies.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Another day, another jobs report that’s too good to be true..

The divergence between the Establishment survey and Household survey is historically wide. This won’t make any sense until there is a quiet revision 6 months from now.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 06-02-2023 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Another day, another jobs report that’s too good to be true..

The divergence between the Establishment survey and Household survey is historically wide. This won’t make any sense until there is a quiet revision 6 months from now.

I think you see what you want (see Bard's disquisition on observer bias). For example, with respect to your post yesterday about revisions. There were revisions of the nonfarm payrolls data today of almost 100,000 for the prior two months UPWARD. The large majority of revisions to the payrolls data have been upward in recent months (last month being a notable exception). Similarly, the last rebenchmarking of the payrolls data (an annual process separate from the monthly revisions) contained significant UPWARD revisions (in spite of the gap between the establishment and household survey that you note).

The thing about the labor market that most distinguishes the current situation is the exceptional level of job openings. It has come off some but remains well above pre-covid levels. I cite this not as a partisan. I think it is problematic and a contributing factor to inflation that so many employers are having difficulty filling jobs. The JOLTS data themselves are not perfect and have some issues, but they are telling us something important.

Last edited by nsacpi; 06-02-2023 at 08:05 AM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think you see what you want. For example, with respect to your post yesterday about revisions. There were revisions of the nonfarm payrolls data today of almost 100,000 for the prior two months UPWARD. The large majority of revisions to the payrolls data have been upward in recent months (last month being a notable exception). Similarly, the last rebenchmarking of the payrolls data (an annual process separate from the monthly revisions) contained significant UPWARD revisions
    Maybe. It’s hard not to be skeptical of a jobs report that blows out even the most positive of projections meanwhile the household survey prints negative.

Pretty similar to what we saw in 2008-2009 iirc.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    what is observer bias
    View other drafts

Observer bias, also known as detection bias or ascertainment bias, is a type of bias that occurs when the researcher's expectations, opinions, or prejudices influence what they perceive or record in a study. It usually affects studies when observers are aware of the research aims or hypotheses.

There are a number of ways that observer bias can occur. For example, observers may be more likely to notice or remember information that is consistent with their expectations. They may also be more likely to interpret ambiguous data in a way that supports their hypotheses.

Observer bias can lead to inaccurate conclusions about the effectiveness of a treatment or the prevalence of a condition. It is important to be aware of this bias and to take steps to minimize it when designing and conducting studies.
    Can we just permalink this in the Red/Blue State thread? Pretty sure every post in that thread warrants this response

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Can we just permalink this in the Red/Blue State thread? Pretty sure every post in that thread warrants this response
    Hey I gave Mississippi a shoutout yesterday!

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Peoples bank accounts aren't observer bias LOL
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Speaking of household survey data, I couldn't help but note the very strong run of data (very volatile to be sure which is why no one who is a serious analyst takes them too seriously) and the silence about the household data from the people around here who are so fond of them when they provide confirmation of their biases.

December 717,000
    January 898,000
    February 177,000
    March 577,000
    April 139,000

Ladies and gentlemen, employment growth from your favorite survey. Y'all's silence during this run was interesting to put it mildly.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-02-2023 at 08:31 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Speaking of household survey data, I couldn't help but note the very strong run of data (very volatile to be sure which is why no one who is a serious analyst takes them too seriously) and the silence about the household data from the people around here who are so fond of them when they provide confirmation of their biases.

December 717,000
    January 898,000
    February 177,000
    March 577,000
    April 139,000

Ladies and gentlemen, employment growth from your favorite survey. Y'all's silence during this run was interesting to put it mildly.
    Why are federal tax receipts so low this year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts

December 717,000
    January 898,000
    February 177,000
    March 577,000
    April 139,000