Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with Uggla now?

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

What to do with Uggla now?

Now that the season is over, and Uggla was left off the playoff roster, does he really have a place with this team next year? I know a lot of players let things like this really get to them and he probably won't have a good attitude towards the Braves next year. With him making 13 mil the next 2 years, and his bad performance the past few years, I don't know how we can trade him for anything or even get another team to take him at all.

High School Draftee BravesfanMike's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    If we pay most of his salary and don't expect much back I think he is tradeable. He can't be happy with the Braves leaving him off the roster and it probably would be better for all concerned if he was just moved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    You lump him in with a prospect and save as much as possible.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Designate him for assignment. Hope someone claims. if not, Kawakami his butt to Mississippi and hope he retires. Which is a shame, because he truly seems like a great guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    See what he does in the spring. He's basically unmovable, so you don't have to be in any hurry to move him. I think some people underestimate how long it takes to get that vision stuff sorted out. Now, I've heard that his eyes may even be worse. If that's the case, then try to get him to retire here so the Braves can get some insurance money.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-08-2013), holden (10-17-2013), JohnAdcox (10-08-2013), Mrs. Meta (10-08-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    We need some luck there. Cleveland picked up more of Lowe's last year of salary that I expected anyone would. The Angels got lucky when the Yankees decided to pay 11.5M of Vernon Wells salary in 2013 and 2.4M in 2014. I'm sure the Cubs are happy too with how much of Soriano's salary the Yankees picked up as well as the prospect they got in that trade. Timing is everything with these types of transactions. You need something to happen to make a team desperate for a second baseman. We'll see. Keep our fingers crossed. We need to be patient because until someone becomes desperate for a second baseman there isn't going to be much of a market for him.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-08-2013 at 12:15 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (10-09-2013)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    It doesn't matter. Trade him and eat most of his salary or release him. Bottom line is he can't be on the team next year. We're not getting anything useful back for him.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    It doesn't matter. Trade him and eat most of his salary or release him. Bottom line is he can't be on the team next year. We're not getting anything useful back for him.
    Unfortunately I think this is exactly the case. Bottom line is Uggla cannot be a part of our team next year, Tommy La Stella needs to be our new second baseman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Unfortunately I think this is exactly the case. Bottom line is Uggla cannot be a part of our team next year, Tommy La Stella needs to be our new second baseman.
    I think having someone like Infante in this lineup would be huge. Sign him and give La Stella a chance to take over mid season.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    See what he does in the spring. He's basically unmovable, so you don't have to be in any hurry to move him. I think some people underestimate how long it takes to get that vision stuff sorted out. Now, I've heard that his eyes may even be worse. If that's the case, then try to get him to retire here so the Braves can get some insurance money.
    Like I said last night, no one is going to trade for him prior to seeing him in spring training.

I've never liked Uggla as a player and was against signing him to an extension when he was traded to us. He was a bargain for the Marlins, but he hasn't been for us. Very one-dimensional guy. There's a reason why he was a Rule 5 pick. The fact that he's done as well as he has is rare among Rule 5 picks.

Like chopdrew, I have had the impression that Uggla's vision problems are perhaps more significant than advertised. His downturn was so dramatic after the surgery that I wondered if the problems were worse than we know.

Anyway, his status is a big question going into the off-season. Even if he could be traded, expect him to be carrying a big bag of cash to his new destination and a mid- to low-level prospect coming our way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Yea and so does Ryne Sandberg. You can't just promote a kid who's never seen a major league pitch. I don't care what becomes of Dan...trade him and eat salary or hire someone to knock him off. He's got this franchise by the balls and we are all pretty much sick of his ****. He needs to go.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Yea and so does Ryne Sandberg. You can't just promote a kid who's never seen a major league pitch. I don't care what becomes of Dan...trade him and eat salary or hire someone to knock him off. He's got this franchise by the balls and we are all pretty much sick of his ****. He needs to go.
    Everyone needs to see a first pitch at some point. What difference is it if it's in meaningless games like Freddie, or to start the year like Jason. Only positive to waiting a bit is like Simmons we'd keep him under control longer.

No one will take Uggla, we're stuck with him. I'd start him out and if he struggles in April replace him with LaStella.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I hold out some hope that maybe for some people there is an adjustment period after LASIK. The Dan Uggla of the first half of 2013 was actually an acceptable player for us. If we can get that back, I'd be happy.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Like I said last night, no one is going to trade for him prior to seeing him in spring training.

I've never liked Uggla as a player and was against signing him to an extension when he was traded to us. He was a bargain for the Marlins, but he hasn't been for us. Very one-dimensional guy. There's a reason why he was a Rule 5 pick. The fact that he's done as well as he has is rare among Rule 5 picks.

Like chopdrew, I have had the impression that Uggla's vision problems are perhaps more significant than advertised. His downturn was so dramatic after the surgery that I wondered if the problems were worse than we know.

Anyway, his status is a big question going into the off-season. Even if he could be traded, expect him to be carrying a big bag of cash to his new destination and a mid- to low-level prospect coming our way.
    If vision really is the key to his current state, then that's at least correctable. He's got the entire off-season to get that sorted out through medical attention. It can't be blamed on his physical conditioning, because he's probably is near the top in physical strength.

As for the people jumping on the LaStrella bandwagon, that solution seems a bit premature. Probably nobody here's even seen him play yet, and are not qualified to say that he deserves more than a promotion to AAA.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I hold out some hope that maybe for some people there is an adjustment period after LASIK. The Dan Uggla of the first half of 2013 was actually an acceptable player for us. If we can get that back, I'd be happy.
    Agree except if you are getting paid $13 million per year, one would like more than "acceptable." But if he gets back to the mid-.700s in OPS, that would earn his place and may pique interest.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    It just defied all odds that two top paid players, with Uggla & BJ, would tank that much. Then consider the fact that the team was able to overcome their deficiencies enough to capture a division title.

High School Draftee BravesfanMike's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    There can be an adjustment period for Lasik. The vision in the eye can flucuate for months depending on the time of day. Vision is generally better in the morning and worse at night
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    If vision really is the key to his current state, then that's at least correctable. He's got the entire off-season to get that sorted out through medical attention. It can't be blamed on his physical conditioning, because he's probably is near the top in physical strength.

As for the people jumping on the LaStrella bandwagon, that solution seems a bit premature. Probably nobody here's even seen him play yet, and are not qualified to say that he deserves more than a promotion to AAA.
    I'm on the La Stella bandwagon but no way do I want him starting opening day. If he earns the spot midseason then fine but no way does he get handed the job.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Have heard reports that LaStella's defense makes Uggla look like a gold glover.

I want to see a lot more before plugging him into the 2B job.... A lot more...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Trade Uggla to Japan imo.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.