Thread: Regular Season vs Playoffs my rant.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regular Season vs Playoffs my rant.

I know its talked about but are all the teams the Braves have had over the last 30 years built for 162 and flawed in a short series? Keep in mind this is just my opinion and I am upset for sure but here goes. I have been a fan for over 30 years. This idea that the playoffs is whoever gets hot is a joke. Eight straight times we get knocked out in the opening round? Get rid of the HR or strikeout hitters because it doesn't work in October and everybody knows it. Get power arms in the rotation. This rotation scares nobody. I know we have best ERA in the NL but it doesn't matter if you don't have the guys at the top of the rotation. We don't have the guys at the top that can dominate a series. We have to have a real ace. I could care less about division titles if we don't have a chance in the playoffs. This team was flawed from the beginning. Even though we have 96 wins in the regular season we still don't match up. We would have lost to any of the teams in this years playoffs. Not a one would we have been a favorite against despite having more regular season wins. Those banners that this club is so proud of just point out we haven't won in October. But I am certain I will hear how great a season this was. History will repeat itself again over the next 15 years 2 or more teams in our own division will win the World Series yet we will have more division titles. I wish we could build a team that has a chance to compete in October like the Giants, Tigers, Cardinals, Dodgers etc. TWO DOMINATE STARTERS. We don't have any on this roster! Nice pieces to have but not aces.

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    or move the NLDS to 7 games and cut back on the offdays

teams don't have off days for every road trip they make in the regular season, why do it now in the playoffs... gives an advantage for the teams with 2 top starters.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    I know its talked about but are all the teams the Braves have had over the last 30 years built for 162 and flawed in a short series? Keep in mind this is just my opinion and I am upset for sure but here goes. I have been a fan for over 30 years. This idea that the playoffs is whoever gets hot is a joke. Eight straight times we get knocked out in the opening round? Get rid of the HR or strikeout hitters because it doesn't work in October and everybody knows it. Get power arms in the rotation. This rotation scares nobody. I know we have best ERA in the NL but it doesn't matter if you don't have the guys at the top of the rotation. We don't have the guys at the top that can dominate a series. We have to have a real ace. I could care less about division titles if we don't have a chance in the playoffs. This team was flawed from the beginning. Even though we have 96 wins in the regular season we still don't match up. We would have lost to any of the teams in this years playoffs. Not a one would we have been a favorite against despite having more regular season wins. Those banners that this club is so proud of just point out we haven't won in October. But I am certain I will hear how great a season this was. History will repeat itself again over the next 15 years 2 or more teams in our own division will win the World Series yet we will have more division titles. I wish we could build a team that has a chance to compete in October like the Giants, Tigers, Cardinals, Dodgers etc. TWO DOMINATE STARTERS. We don't have any on this roster! Nice pieces to have but not aces.
    We had at least 2 to 3 aces in those 14 years we won the division and what did that net us?

Next question.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (10-08-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Rant threads are childish and obnoxious, especially from somebody who's hardly posted on the forum. Makes the comments section at Daily DOB seem enlightening.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We had Smoltz. Glavine and Maddux were more pitch to contact types. I mean the guys that can go through a lineup and limit contact also.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    We had at least 2 to 3 aces in those 14 years we won the division and what did that net us?

Next question.
    Ill tell you what it net us. Playoff series wins.

Maybe we didn't win the World Series as often as we should, but god damn it, we got there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-09-2013), thethe (10-08-2013)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Rant threads are childish and obnoxious, especially from somebody who's hardly posted on the forum. Makes the comments section at Daily DOB seem enlightening.
    Wow, really? Seems like this forum is fairly new. I probably posted 500 or more times on the old scout forum. I read more than I post but the thread says it's a rant so if you don't like rants then move on to the next one like a big boy. This is a place to express ourselves and how we feel about the team. I am invested in this team. I go to games, I watch on t.v. I buy merchandise. I don't follow it on a computer as often as you do apparently. If I want to say something I will say it. There is nothing childish or obnoxious about what I said nor does the amount of times I post have an impact on the content of what I said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    Wow, really? Seems like this forum is fairly new. I probably posted 500 or more times on the old scout forum. I read more than I post but the thread says it's a rant so if you don't like rants then move on to the next one like a big boy. This is a place to express ourselves and how we feel about the team. I am invested in this team. I go to games, I watch on t.v. I buy merchandise. I don't follow it on a computer as often as you do apparently. If I want to say something I will say it. There is nothing childish or obnoxious about what I said nor does the amount of times I post have an impact on the content of what I said.
    Not to call anyone out, just pointing out something that I, probably along with most of you, have noticed on message boards, no matter what the topic.

If you don't have 500 posts per week, most don't care about your opinion, and you're not allowed to say negative things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Dominant strikeout pitchers do help a lot in the post-season. They are very difficult and expensive to acquire. Expensive to hold on to as well. A big market team can sign them as free agents (the Yankees with CC and the Dodgers with Greinke, though I think Greinke isn't quite in the same category). And we've seen some of the downside risk with CC's decline this year.

The solution is to develop our own power arms. For a while, we seemed to be emphasizing finesse pitchers but I'm pleased to see a shift in recent years to power arms. Teheran and Wood are potentially dominant power arms. We have Graham, Sims, Cabrera and Hursh in the minors as guys who could some day develop into that kind of pitcher. Pitchers like Justin Verlander don't grow on trees. They are hard to find and develop. Pitchers are also inherently more risky (see Matt Harvey for a recent cautionary tale). But I think with the collection of young arms in our system we will have more success in the post-season going forward.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcway View Post
    Not to call anyone out, just pointing out something that I, probably along with most of you, have noticed on message boards, no matter what the topic.

If you don't have 500 posts per week, most don't care about your opinion, and you're not allowed to say negative things.
    I assure you that's not the case. I can't speak for every post here, but I do enjoy seeing lurkers and non-full time posters post here.

You guys are welcome to post as much as you can.
    Forever Fredi

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-09-2013), Julio3000 (10-09-2013)