Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oppression

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Oppression

The question (which apparently can't be answered in a thread of a different subject title) is:

Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So the qualified white male who isn't considered for the job bc of his skin and gender isn't being oppressed?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The question (which apparently can't be answered in a thread of a different subject title) is:
    I answered it. And asked for a real-life example to better judge. I assume this hypothetical person is being discriminated against, legally and imho, if they're refused consideration for a job based on their skin color or sex. "Oppression" seems a stretch, as I would judge that to require persistent systematic official or institutional discrimination.

In that category, you could put Jim Crow & segregation, mortgage redlining, and many other historical injustices. If someone would like to make a case for white males being an oppressed class, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by Julio3000; 03-16-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I felt oppressed when living as a Republican in Berkeley. Fortunately, I knew one other and we would get together now and then to whisper about the locals.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (03-17-2018), Jaw (03-17-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I felt oppressed when living as a Republican in Berkeley. Fortunately, I knew one other and we would get together now and then to whisper about the locals.
    I've got family who live in Marin County and more in Palo Alto. We generally vote the same way but I often feel like we're in different tribes or even different dimensions. Then again, I live in a bubble that's quite the other thing.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    yes, what we need is a thread of people born on 3rd and thinking they hit a triple thinking they are oppressed people somehow
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    yes, what we need is a thread of people born on 3rd and thinking they hit a triple thinking they are oppressed people somehow
    All white people are born on third base?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Is TikiBoi complaining that the girls got more candy again ?

yeah, I am mocking you
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    All white people are born on third base?
    is third base white

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (03-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    is third base white
    If you're white you're Ben aflack
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If you're white you're Ben aflack
    fortunately my genetic mix allows me to claim any number of identities...which is why I find some of things people get obsessed about amusing and absurd...but seriously I think it is a mistake for our society to give weight to race and ethnicity on matters such as employment and School admissions...i do think some affirmative action should be given to people from disadvantaged backgrounds including poor white kids
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-17-2018 at 08:36 AM.

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    fortunately my genetic mix allows me to claim any number of identities...which is why I find some of things people get obsessed about amusing and absurd...but seriously I think it is a mistake for our society to give weight to race and ethnicity on matters such as employment and School admissions...i do think some affirmative action should be given to people from disadvantaged backgrounds including poor white kids
    Everything is economics. There are hundreds of thousands of black people that are more 'privledged' than I was growing up. Money is the key to acess. Without it everything is harder. Not impossible by any means and I'd like to think I broke through buy the focus on race as you said is setting us back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I've got family who live in Marin County and more in Palo Alto. We generally vote the same way but I often feel like we're in different tribes or even different dimensions. Then again, I live in a bubble that's quite the other thing.
    Marin is definitely in a different dimension. For a hilarious take on how different, I recommend Philip Dick's Confessions of a Crap Artist. It gives you a great sense of the weirdness of life in Marin county in the late 50s/earl 60s.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    As a current Berkeley citizen, it’s my deepest darkest secret.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    As a current Berkeley citizen, it’s my deepest darkest secret.
    yeah, my friend and I bonded over the fact that we were going to vote for McCain in 2008...we didn't tell anyone...it was our little secret

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Slightly different question: Would Facebook suspending Cambridge Analytica be part of the oppression of conservative white men?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43440043

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Slightly different question: Would Facebook suspending Cambridge Analytica be part of the oppression of conservative white men?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43440043
    No but it's the oppression of conservative values. Facebook could probably suspect countless amounts of companies for doing these things. They pick and choose and it goes along with other actions FB and Google have taken to censor conservative voices.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I answered it. And asked for a real-life example to better judge. I assume this hypothetical person is being discriminated against, legally and imho, if they're refused consideration for a job based on their skin color or sex. "Oppression" seems a stretch, as I would judge that to require persistent systematic official or institutional discrimination.

In that category, you could put Jim Crow & segregation, mortgage redlining, and many other historical injustices. If someone would like to make a case for white males being an oppressed class, I'm all ears.
    Asking for a "real-life" example is kind of a cop out, because there's one that was referenced at the outset of sturg's socratic endeavor and you just simply ignored it.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I live in Marin now. I lived in Boston last year.

I work in tech.

I could tell you a thing or two about oppression. But I hate anecdotal ****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I live in Marin now. I lived in Boston last year.

I work in tech.

I could tell you a thing or two about oppression. But I hate anecdotal ****.
    The plural of anecdote is data.

I actually wouldn't mind retiring to Marin. My wife would love it. She is a hippie. I'm not. But I tend to have an Aspergerish relationship with my environment. So it wouldn't matter. As long as there are a couple decent taquerias within walking distance I'm good.

I went to visit my niece in Humboldt county last year. I think that's how Marin must have been 50 years ago.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The plural of anecdote is data.

I actually wouldn't mind retiring to Marin. My wife would love it. She is a hippie. I'm not. But I tend to have an Aspergerish relationship with my environment. So it wouldn't matter. As long as there are a couple decent taquerias within walking distance I'm good.

I went to visit my niece in Humboldt county last year. I think that's how Marin must have been 50 years ago.
    I like it here. I live smack-dab off the Marin side of the GGB, so I'm not very 'deep' into the county. I've been out to visit Fairfax and Russian River and some of the other contemporary hippie enclaves, but it does seem that the area, as a whole, is almost post-gentrification now. Fairfax, for example, seems counter-culture for show. The further north you push (San Rafael, Novato, up to Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa) is much more traditionally suburban. Traditionally suburban for California, that is.

My cousin lives in Oakland (Lake Merritt) and I find that area extremely nice, although I don't think I could ever live in the East Bay. I work in the city and I've contemplated moving down there when my lease is up, although it would almost surely mean giving up my car and completely changing the way I live. I do like getting away from it all when I come home. Marin is really quiet.