Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Free Agent Targets

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Bringing back Muk on a 1 to 2 year deal would be ok with me. His leadership as head of the Council of Elders is important to this team.
    One year only. Pache will be ready in 2020 (probably mid 2019) and one of Waters and Jenista could also be knocking on the door.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I agree. To the extent we sign free agents it is unlikely to be the premium guys. More likely candidates would be guys like Flowers and Suzuki.
    They are going to have spend money in free agency. The optics demand it. Just not sure what it will be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    One year only. Pache will be ready in 2020 (probably mid 2019) and one of Waters and Jenista could also be knocking on the door.
    Bold projections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They are going to have spend money in free agency. The optics demand it. Just not sure what it will be.
    Optics vs being smart. I hope the latter wins out.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Bold projections.
    In looking at the way they have handled Riley...not really. To me it depends on if they were to sign say Pollock and/or depending on how Ender is hitting.

If they sign Pollock (or a big free agent)....they aren’t aggressive. If they don’t and sign Nick back...they are aggressive with Pache. Also if Ender doesn’t turn his hitting around.

IF they sign a big free agent (like Pollock) and Ender begins looking like 2017 Ender...then yes...they go much slower.

What draft pick do they loose if they sign someone like Pollock?

The Braves have to be really careful with their draft picks because of International restrictions. I doubt they sign someone that costs them a high pick. Much more likely to make a trade or sign someone like Nick short term and promote Pache as soon as possible.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    We are the girl with all the money in the world but nobody wants to dance with

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    This free agency has been overhyped for years. I like some of the relievers pending costs, but otherwise I see AA doing his usual thing. He doesn't care for free agency and likes to take on money in trades. I expect to see more of the same.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I know paying closers is crazy but Kimbrel on a 4 year deal isn’t crazy if we wanna compete for a WS bc Viz isn’t a closer on a WS caliber team imo. This is contingent on Riley being the 3b to keep cost down of course.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I agree. To the extent we sign free agents it is unlikely to be the premium guys. More likely candidates would be guys like Flowers and Suzuki.
    I just do not see us signing the big guy.

I think the second round pick of a 3 year college power bat suggests they are not thinking about locking down an OF spot with a 4+ year OF.

I could see them doing something like a trade and extend for Nick Castellanos. I think he has one more year of control and Detroit could be in a rebuild. I thought the Brewers and Braves matched well in the offseason but there wasn't even a published rumor.

I'd love someone like Mazara but he's probably not available and would cost a ton.

It wouldn't shock me if they took on someone like Choo for nothing if they could get the cost down to 10 million. Of course if Neck is willing to sign on for one year and 10-15 you'd do that first, but if he gets a multiyear deal...

I think we will do a flowers/suzuki deal again. Maybe for two years with Jackson falling off.

I still think Moose makes sense on a 1 year deal. Make Riley earn is way up and maybe he can play OF for a year if needed.

I think we will be trading, taking on money in trades, extending etc vs winning bidding wars.

I hope they offer Harper 3/150 but I don't think he'll take it.

I really wish Matt Adams wasn't a total disaster in the OF.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    A question I never thought I would even consider before the season started ... Is Nick Markakis worthy of a qualifying offer?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    A question I never thought I would even consider before the season started ... Is Nick Markakis worthy of a qualifying offer?
    I'm guessing no...he would likely accept it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Chances are Muk will be worth about 1 win the rest of the way in. In which case, he will not be getting a QO.

"I am your retribution."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

heck no. I doubt his next salary will be as high as this season's salary.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We are the girl with all the money in the world but nobody wants to dance with
    I hope we are the the girl who is picky about who she dances with. The one who only dances with the guys who could change her life for the better, not the guys who will show her a good time, but are not really committed.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    This free agency has been overhyped for years. I like some of the relievers pending costs, but otherwise I see AA doing his usual thing. He doesn't care for free agency and likes to take on money in trades. I expect to see more of the same.
    This is why I love AA. He is smart enough to see that the only way we keep this team together is having payroll flexibility in the future. You go max our payroll out next year with free agents and we’ll see our young stars leave one by one.

We sign our young stars like we did with Freeman. Make good signings on young guys with upside. Make a trade when needed. Only then can we sustain a winning team without a rebuild.

I’m so impressed with him that he held onto all our prospects and didn’t make ONE “I’m the new GM, so I have to make a big splash” move. He is the perfect GM for this next phase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    This is why I love AA. He is smart enough to see that the only way we keep this team together is having payroll flexibility in the future. You go max our payroll out next year with free agents and we’ll see our young stars leave one by one.

We sign our young stars like we did with Freeman. Make good signings on young guys with upside. Make a trade when needed. Only then can we sustain a winning team without a rebuild.

I’m so impressed with him that he held onto all our prospects and didn’t make ONE “I’m the new GM, so I have to make a big splash” move. He is the perfect GM for this next phase.
    I'm hoping AA turns out to be a less is more GM.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    We finally have the money. I'd love to see us go big. It doesn't happen often with teams with our projected payroll range, but it does happen. With the youth of this team and core hitters locked up for 3 years or more, it would be prime opportunity to sign an elite FA.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We finally have the money. I'd love to see us go big. It doesn't happen often with teams with our projected payroll range, but it does happen. With the youth of this team and core hitters locked up for 3 years or more, it would be prime opportunity to sign an elite FA.
    Which one?

Assuming the reality that Harper/Machado is not happening

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    What is the Machado contract realistically going to look like?

I am going to will this into happening.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    What is the Machado contract realistically going to look like?

I am going to will this into happening.
    10/350 as the floor