Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2019 Free Agent Targets

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It was a now-for-later deal with the now part of the deal that came to us not really working out. Logical trade that didn't work out. I didn't particularly like the deal because I thought McLouth was overrated, but the Braves felt they needed an upgrade in CF.

And lest we forget, Gorkys Hernandez has just finished the best two-plus month stretch of his entire career in San Francisco.

Morton is another exhibit as to why it's important to be patient with pitchers. I don't think anyone could have predicted how well he has pitched since going to Houston, but always had the look of a pitcher who could contribute if he put it all together. I read that early in his career, one of his problems is that he had five workable pitches, but none of them was really top drawer. He has honed it down and has really blossomed.
    Great synopsis. For a long while, it looked like a trade that worked for neither team. Some later-career success, on second or third MLB teams, doesn’t really change the calculus for how Atlanta did in that decision. As you note, it all boils down to how the organization (over)valued McLouth—which, admittedly, I did too, at the time of the swap.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    And lest we forget, Gorkys Hernandez has just finished the best two-plus month stretch of his entire career in San Francisco.
    Pretty nuts that for a good chunk of this season the Giants have had Gorkys and Gregor Blanco as 2/3 of their OF.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    It was a now-for-later deal with the now part of the deal that came to us not really working out. Logical trade that didn't work out. I didn't particularly like the deal because I thought McLouth was overrated, but the Braves felt they needed an upgrade in CF.

Morton is another exhibit as to why it's important to be patient with pitchers. I don't think anyone could have predicted how well he has pitched since going to Houston, but always had the look of a pitcher who could contribute if he put it all together. I read that early in his career, one of his problems is that he had five workable pitches, but none of them was really top drawer. He has honed it down and has really blossomed.
    Dude Charlie Morton is 34! He made his debut over a decade ago and really hasn't been good at all until last year. How long should we have waited?? Might I add he's been acused of cheating recently....

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    In fact, no one was on this board in January of 2013.
    Of course not. I just think it's funny. He gets off on slamming people, I can tweak him. It's only "pathetic" and "a travesty" if you take yourself really seriously. Hopefully he'll stop with the "paper pusher" jokes. I'm so wounded, it's making it hard to sleep.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Going to have to be the "perfect situation", and I can't imagine one much better than the one he's in. An "Ace" that doesn't have to deal with the pressure of being the "Ace" on a World Series contender for the entirety of his contract??? Where else is he going to find that? The Astros can certainly afford to pay that if that's what it takes.

Charlie's been quoted many times saying that he's honestly not sure he's going to pitch beyond this season.
    No doubt he'd like to stay in Houston but if somebody else put $15-20M more in his pocket he'd have to think about it. I hadn't heard him say he might retire. I can't imagine he's not having fun chopping people up, suddenly an absolute ace after all those years trying to put it together...I think he'll be more of a mind to see how far this train will go.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Of course not. I just think it's funny. He gets off on slamming people, I can tweak him. It's only "pathetic" and "a travesty" if you take yourself really seriously. Hopefully he'll stop with the "paper pusher" jokes. I'm so wounded, it's making it hard to sleep.
    It’s pathetic.

Now please, share some more thoughts on Albies power projections, unless you’re too busy going to watch your kid get hammered by players who won’t even play JC ball lol.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If the Braves can't afford Pollock, or don't want to pay for his CF defense in LF, does Brantley make sense?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...-brantley.html

While Pollock is probably going to get something around LoCain money (5/80), Brantley should only command something around Melky (3/42) or Bruce (3/39) money.

I wouldn't want to be the team that gives Brantley 4 years though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2018)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Braves can't afford Pollock, or don't want to pay for his CF defense in LF, does Brantley make sense?

While Pollock is probably going to get something around LoCain money (5/80), Brantley should only command something around Melky (3/42) or Bruce (3/39) money.

I guess due to him being injured like Keenan Ivory Wayans in "I Am Going to Get You Sucker" when he pricked his finger and cried of the pain?

I agree with you on that end.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Since Braves aren’t going to get an interesting free agent just make Neck a QO on off chance he doesn’t take it.

If not overpay him for another contract year, sign or trade for 3b.

Pick up bullpen help and expensive bench bat.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Since Braves aren’t going to get an interesting free agent just make Neck a QO on off chance he doesn’t take it.

If the swing changes are sustainable and his offensive production continues around this pace, I actually like this idea. Would love for him to ultimately turn it down and us get an extra pick, but it wouldn’t be horrible if he accepted it in the end.

Then we have some extra money off the books to pay Arenado when he’s a free agent after the 2019 season. ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    If the swing changes are sustainable and his offensive production continues around this pace, I actually like this idea. Would love for him to ultimately turn it down and us get an extra pick, but it wouldn’t be horrible if he accepted it in the end.

Then we have some extra money off the books to pay Arenado when he’s a free agent after the 2019 season. ;)
    He would definitely accept it, because he'd be forced to. A team is not going to give up a pick for a 35 year old Markakis on a long term deal. Offering him a QO would wreck his free agent value and force him to accept. Plus it would be a nice raise.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Markakis had about a 15 game stretch where was playing the best baseball of his career (due to Flaherty being very happy).

Everything before and since has been right in line with his usual performance the last 2+ years. Literally nothing about his plate discipline or batted ball profile suggests he has made much of any sort of real change to his swing or approach.

Bringing back Markakis on a 1-2 year should probably be Plan D or E. I think I'd rather roll the dice on Harper opting out of a $400M contract.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2018), Tapate50 (06-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'm kind of neutral on bringing Muk back...his play in the second half will likely decide the issue for me
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

I'd look for the trade market instead, but no idea who is actually available for outfielders.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I really believe Braves go with Markakis and upgrade the bullpen. Saving some money for trade deadline and the near future. I believe we should trade Teheran and utilize that money for Kimbrel or Allen. I preferred Allen with World Series experience plus probably cheaper.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Markakis had about a 15 game stretch where was playing the best baseball of his career (due to Flaherty being very happy).

Everything before and since has been right in line with his usual performance the last 2+ years. Literally nothing about his plate discipline or batted ball profile suggests he has made much of any sort of real change to his swing or approach.

Bringing back Markakis on a 1-2 year should probably be Plan D or E. I think I'd rather roll the dice on Harper opting out of a $400M contract.

Well, you know I'd be on board with gambling on one of the premium guys.

I think I'd put Markakis on a 1 yr/18 million QO ahead of having to give one of the 30+ OFs in decline a 3 or 4 year deal...I think. And I'd be expecting a 1 WAR guy, more or less.

You'd roll that 18 million into 2019 along with Teheran's 11 million and you'd have a good bit of money to play with in what might be a lower profile free agent class. It's basically treading water, but it gives you the breathing space to see what your young major leaguers and Riley and Allard and the Touki, Wright, Anderson group is going to do for you.

This is your don't stick your head out of the shell and be miserly with money and prospects approach. Hope for internal improvement for the most part. Grind away.

There is also the small chance Markakis turns down the QO and actually finds someone willing to pay him and give up a pick and the Braves get a draft choice out of it.
    Or he turns it down and comes back at the end to sign for less than the QO.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 06-13-2018 at 06:39 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

I thought about Brantley before and was all aboard the train to trade for him 2 years ago. But the injuries are worrisome, as is his poorly rated defense in recent years.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I really believe Braves go with Markakis and upgrade the bullpen. Saving some money for trade deadline and the near future. I believe we should trade Teheran and utilize that money for Kimbrel or Allen. I preferred Allen with World Series experience plus probably cheaper.
    Puke on Cody Allen, theres much better options if they want a closer anyway.

I'd just go ahead and spend on Kimbrel, Minter-Winkler-Viz-Kimbrel, games are 5-6 innings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

I keep coming back to Reddick if we don’t sign a marquis FA. Will the Astros want to dump him off so Tucker can play ? (I think it’s Tucker their top OF ‘spect)
    Ivermectin Man