Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Korea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

North Korea

I guess this needs its own thread.

What is he really up to? Is Trump going to get credit for disarming NK like Reagan did for the Soviet collapse?

I'm far from convinced they're really going to give up what they've worked so hard for but maybe they think they've found a way to appear to. And of course, I have zero faith in Trump leading negotiations. Maybe there's a silver lining to the Bolton hire after all.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    http://www.businessinsider.com/north...illions-2017-6

This might explain it. He has to be swearing bullets with that kind of report, an unpredictable jackass as President, and wavering support from China. He isn't one of these dictators that took power by force ala Hussein. Say what you will about those guys but that takes a lot of balls. Kim has grown up in a life of luxury and there's a good chance he gets invaded or overthrown in his lifetime.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 03-28-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I share Runnin's doubt about Kim's sincerity. These are also crazy times, so I hesitate to rule out any outcome where the two main players are Kim and Trump.

Personally, I have always worried more about the possibility of NK hitting us with an EMP attack than a direct nuke. The tech is easier, the accuracy less important, and the potential effect on a highly technical society far worse, than even a few small nukes.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

Runnin (03-28-2018)

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    USA is a safer and better place with Donald Trump as President. Denuclearizing the North Koreans is a monumental achievement by this administration. So soon you forget that months ago this tyrant was threatening to shoot nuclear missiles at the USA and actively lofting test missiles over allies. Trump derangement syndrome knows no bounds apparently.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShwag View Post
    USA is a safer and better place with Donald Trump as President. Denuclearizing the North Koreans is a monumental achievement by this administration. So soon you forget that months ago this tyrant was threatening to shoot nuclear missiles at the USA and actively lofting test missiles over allies. Trump derangement syndrome knows no bounds apparently.
    i disagree with the first sentence

and the 2nd sentence is far from being a reality thus far

but i guess trump worship syndrome knows no bounds apparently
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Yippee!

BRENNAN CENTER FOR JUSTICE

Crime in the 30 Largest Cities (1990-2017)
    Fig 1 - Crimes per 100,000 people
    Fig 2 - Violent Crimes per 100,000 people
    Fig 3 - Murders per 100,000 people

I wonder how the crime is in North Korea.
    Last edited by Runnin; 03-28-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Going to be fantastic when trump wins a nobel prize through actual accomplishment unlike hussein.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Going to be fantastic when trump wins a nobel prize through actual accomplishment unlike hussein.
    Wake up. You're dreaming again.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Yippee!

BRENNAN CENTER FOR JUSTICE

Crime in the 30 Largest Cities (1990-2017)
    Fig 1 - Crimes per 100,000 people
    Fig 2 - Violent Crimes per 100,000 people
    Fig 3 - Murders per 100,000 people

I wonder how the crime is in North Korea.
    what?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

Want to bet on this as well?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    what?

Wouldn’t this be the result of bill Clinton locking up felons?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...orea-trip.html

Like most everything else, you bought the trope. Hook line and sinker.

The catch of the shell game is watching the shell you once saw holding the pea.
    Until realizing that you, walking down the street and thinking "oh, I can do that" competes with someone that hides the pea 8 hours a day 7 days a week. The hider then takes the wager from suckers.

Like you

Maybe Haw ------ nah
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    So we're just ignoring the peace talks between N and S Korea?

Oh I forgot, the payoff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I expect any day to hear that Trump gets credit for Nick Markakis' resurgence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    That's what I figured

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So we're just ignoring the peace talks between N and S Korea?

Oh I forgot, the payoff!
    No. Many folks here have acknowledged the positive developments and the general benefit of lowering regional tensions. IMO, it’s still reasonable to point out the huge gulf between the expectations created by the public messaging and the reality. Basically, that the President has been doing an end-zone dance while the people who are actually responsible for the work are regrouping after moving the ball from the 20 to the 30 yard line.

NK is doing what they’ve always done, which is stringing out the process to win more concessions without actually having to dip into their biggest stack of chips. I’m all for engagement and incremental progress, but let’s not pretend this isn’t playing out along very familiar lines so far.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    No. Many folks here have acknowledged the positive developments and the general benefit of lowering regional tensions. IMO, it’s still reasonable to point out the huge gulf between the expectations created by the public messaging and the reality. Basically, that the President has been doing an end-zone dance while the people who are actually responsible for the work are regrouping after moving the ball from the 20 to the 30 yard line.

NK is doing what they’ve always done, which is stringing out the process to win more concessions without actually having to dip into their biggest stack of chips. I’m all for engagement and incremental progress, but let’s not pretend this isn’t playing out along very familiar lines so far.
    I think I've been pretty consistent in that I don't care about denuclearization. I don't blame them for wanting nukes and if I were them, I'd work to get them

But I'm pretty confident that the situation with N Korea is dramatically better today than it was 2 years ago. But the left is physically incapable of conceding such progress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I think I've been pretty consistent in that I don't care about denuclearization. I don't blame them for wanting nukes and if I were them, I'd work to get them

But I'm pretty confident that the situation with N Korea is dramatically better today than it was 2 years ago. But the left is physically incapable of conceding such progress
    After all that has happened are you really implying that Captain Trumpster and his SUPERNATURAL deal making powers have made life "dramatically" better for the average North Korean? Is that what you really believe or just what you would like to believe?

I'm pretty confident that you know very little about the real situation in NK. I'm 100% confident that no real progress towards human rights has been instigated by the T and whatever concessions have been made were planned and carried out by their Supreme Leader.

According to all accounts, life and the economy in NK has improved a bit since the Kimster took over. Zero to do with Trump.

If Trump has had anything to do with N.K.'s evolution, however miniscule it is, it's that they saw an opportunity to win a few global points with the easily exploitable Trump, his huge ego and obsessive need to continue the fake narrative of constant success. Master Kim played the Trump administration like a fiddle, making America look like a fool to the rest of the world.

While there was plenty of drama to be sure, I'd be interested in hearing about this "dramatically better" situation you are so confident of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Last I checked American prisoners are home, n and s Korea are having peace talks, and US and n Korea are talking denuclearization

That's quite a bit of progress. But I understand you're mentally incapable to concede as such so we will just move on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Last I checked American prisoners are home, n and s Korea are having peace talks, and US and n Korea are talking denuclearization

That's quite a bit of progress. But I understand you're mentally incapable to concede as such so we will just move on
    I concede the the first two things happened, both good for NK's international image. That dramatically improved life inside NK how?

The denuclearization talks look like a complete sham at this point, but still served to give both embattled leaders a short, but much needed political victory.