Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Ozzie Albies thread

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    That didn't show what you think it showed.
    I think it shows the obvious.

Thank God for Frank Wren

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Why don't we take a look shall we?

Wren players

Freeman - 3.6
    Albies - 3.6
    Camargos - 1.4
    Acuna - 0.5

Coppy players

Catchers - 2.2
    Swanson - 1.2
    Markakis - 2.6
    Inciarte - 1.2

Players acquired by Coppy using Wren assets
    Folty - 2.1 (Gattis - 0.7)
    Newcomb - 1.3 (Simmons - 3.7)
    Wisler - 0 (Kimbrel - 1.2)
    Olivera - not in baseball (Wood - 1.7)

Hmmm, by my count, Wren is directly responsible for 9.1 fWAR on this year's team (he was GM. 4 years ago). Coppy directly responsible for 8.7 (he was GM last year), and Coppy managed to turn 7.3 WAR from Wren into 3.4 present day wins.

Meanwhile, when you consider the future value of the team, you'd take out Markakis and the catchers, which result in more than half of Coppys WAR this year.
    You left out these signings:
    Derek Lowe
    Kawakami
    BJ Upton
    Dan Uggla
    Chris Johnson

I could go into his poor trades. But I just don’t have the time. Like I said...his bad decisions were SO bad...it was a wash at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Derek Lowe
    Kawakami
    BJ Upton
    Dan Uggla
    Chris Johnson

I could go into his poor trades. But I just don’t have the time. Like I said...his bad decisions were SO bad...it was a wash at best.
    Well we're talking about the 2018 team, aren't we?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Derek Lowe
    Kawakami
    BJ Upton
    Dan Uggla
    Chris Johnson

Those guys aren't even in baseball. We are talking about who's responsible for the success of the 2018 Braves. Clearly the Golden Wrens are shining bright.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Those guys aren't even in baseball. We are talking about who's responsible for the success of the 2018 Braves. Clearly the Golden Wrens are shining bright.
    I know you are joking, but in that case...

Coppy’s trophy case will be much larger and in a much smaller amount of time. He can have them displayed in one of the condos he is currently showing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think it shows the obvious.

Thank God for Frank Wren
    Fake News.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Fake News.
    The data is the data.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The data is the data.
    Did you add Jason Hursh? Lucas Sims? Matt Lipka? Sean Gilmartin? Braxton Davidson? Brett Devall?

I only went with our first pick in his drafts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Did you add Jason Hursh? Lucas Sims? Matt Lipka? Sean Gilmartin? Braxton Davidson? Brett Devall?

The only right way to do it is to look at the whole picture, including where we drafted, number of high picks, money spent on acquiring prospects, etc.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Who knows if the rumors are true, but it was rumored that JS never wanted to see a rebuild happen right after his tenure, as it'd "prove" how badly his tenure ended (and it's not knocking him down because his era was a golden era, but just to be honest, it didn't end as well as it started).

The rebuild assets from Coppyhart are still TBD in a way but I don't see how it's a clear win for him unless Dansby becomes the player we thought we'd see and Pache really breaks out into a superstar (while I think he can be a star with his glove if he can simply OPS at .700-.720 down the road, I'm not sure about him becoming a superstar).
    Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 07-13-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

I compared the value of assets to the 2018 team.right now, Frank Wren is disproportionately more valuable to our success than Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I compared the value of assets to the 2018 team.right now, Frank Wren is disproportionately more valuable to our success than Coppy
    Time frame is jacked up. Coppy’s guys are still in lower A (like Waters) and most are not even to MLB (or have just arrived) and he did that in a little over two years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    ugh. disappointing if true.
    I'm always dubious of these kind of online screeds. Sometimes they are absolutely true. However, the larger percentage of the time they are heavily biased accounts. You're never going to see someone come out and say "I did a terrible job serving this table and got stiffed on the tip." Or "After I left them sitting for half an hour waiting to order drinks, they were so rude when I finally made it to them."

As for the special order, was this a chain restaurant where other locations of this same restaurant had what he was wanting? Was it something totally off menu or was it just an alteration on a different dish? Was it something they used to make but that had been rotated out? Who knows?

There are usually two sides to a story like this and you only ever hear the one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Super (07-18-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Oops, I forgot about Waters in considering the comparison. (Contreras was signed in 2014)

Anyway, I said it's TBD anyway. Not everyone pans out though...so who knows where it goes.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Who knows if the rumors are true, but it was rumored that JS never wanted to see a rebuild happen right after his tenure, as it'd "prove" how badly his tenure ended (and it's not knocking him down because his era was a golden era, but just to be honest, it didn't end as well as it started).

The rebuild assets from Coppyhart are still TBD in a way but I don't see how it's a clear win for him unless Dansby becomes the player we thought we'd see and Pache really breaks out into a superstar (while I think he can be a star with his glove if he can simply OPS at .700-.720 down the road, I'm not sure about him becoming a superstar).

Citing something that you acknowledge you have no idea if it is true and term a rumor, and then proceeding to act like it is a fact is not a very good way of operating.

J.S., HOF believed a team should try to win each and every season and that is the way he operated his front office through his entire tenure, even after the glory days were long gone. Let not a person ask someone to do a job they themselves have not done.

Nonetheless, Wren could have used his own agency to convince the franchise to retool or he could have done a better job of conserving the resources he was provided. That's not the way it happened, so its difficult to find in his excuse making a reason to see him as an effective GM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm always dubious of these kind of online screeds. Sometimes they are absolutely true. However, the larger percentage of the time they are heavily biased accounts. You're never going to see someone come out and say "I did a terrible job serving this table and got stiffed on the tip." Or "After I left them sitting for half an hour waiting to order drinks, they were so rude when I finally made it to them."

As for the special order, was this a chain restaurant where other locations of this same restaurant had what he was wanting? Was it something totally off menu or was it just an alteration on a different dish? Was it something they used to make but that had been rotated out? Who knows?

There are usually two sides to a story like this and you only ever hear the one.
    Dear God save us from former and current waiters. You'd think they were saving Western Civilization on a daily basis if you let them go on long enough. Save it, waiters. I tip though, don't come at me.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Yea with waiters while I don't mind a little "small talk" I'd just rather order my food and not talk and I'm a normal human being... Something normal like the "Hey how are you today?" suffices for me by a waiter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    So, we’re not going to give Ozzie any benefit of the doubt and just take some random bloke’s account on the internet as gospel?

I’m not even entertaining this. There are horror stories on the net about every celebrity and athlete ever, and not all of them can possibly be true.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    So, we’re not going to give Ozzie any benefit of the doubt and just take some random bloke’s account on the internet as gospel?

I’m not even entertaining this. There are horror stories on the net about every celebrity and athlete ever, and not all of them can possibly be true.
    Even if it's true. It's not like he's pulling a Furcal or Andruw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Even if it's true. It's not like he's pulling a Furcal or Andruw.
    Exactly. Or even Chipper for that matter.