5,756 Posts
    Hopefully we never face a lefty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Hopefully we never face a lefty
    Lineup will look a lot better in 15 days. Just have to hope we can win around 5 or 6 of the next 12 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Less valuable, I'd imagine—especially if it's not top-top end.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Less valuable, I'd imagine—especially if it's not top-top end.
    Really? If the total population of used pitchers increase then the demand for pitchers that can pitch increases.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Really? If the total population of used pitchers increase then the demand for pitchers that can pitch increases.
    Brothers didn't get in the game last night. Does that mean he can't pitch and is the reason he was sent to Gwinnett?? There aren't many in the Braves BP that actually "pitch" IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way. If most teams are essentially using "two bullpens" now, that means there is a surplus of talented arms that aren't talented enough to stick in the rotation, or—if they are—aren't talented enough to pitch past two times through the batting order. So I think it's actually a surfeit of those kinds of arms that is driving teams to this "two bullpens" approach. The upshot might be that legitimate TOR-type pitchers who can not only stick, but provide >6 quality IP, are more valuable; but those guys were already pretty scarce/valuable anyways.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I think his point is the supply of pitchers that can be about 4.75 ERA from the bullpen (better than Rex Brothers) is high enough that the demand doesn’t change the cost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way. If most teams are essentially using "two bullpens" now, that means there is a surplus of talented arms that aren't talented enough to stick in the rotation, or—if they are—aren't talented enough to pitch past two times through the batting order. So I think it's actually a surfeit of those kinds of arms that is driving teams to this "two bullpens" approach. The upshot might be that legitimate TOR-type pitchers who can not only stick, but provide >6 quality IP, are more valuable; but those guys were already pretty scarce/valuable anyways.
    I'll agree that if the shift to convert starters to a pen role faster increase that pool on player's but ultimately you are dispersing a teams total season innings count amongst more pitchers. I just don't believe the current pool of pitchers that are being paid reflect the amount of work they are doing. And just like 7th and 8th inning guys getting more money in the last 5 years I expect it to catch up with all pen arms. Then your $ per war numbers for pitching increases which is essentially the barometer for all trade balancing discussions now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    I think his point is the supply of pitchers that can be about 4.75 ERA from the bullpen (better than Rex Brothers) is high enough that the demand doesn’t change the cost
    But the teams that want the best pens won't settle for those arms.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Time for some more supply and demand lessons from tehteh! Remember when Garcia increased his trade value due to increased demand?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    I'll agree that if the shift to convert starters to a pen role faster increase that pool on player's but ultimately you are dispersing a teams total season innings count amongst more pitchers. I just don't believe the current pool of pitchers that are being paid reflect the amount of work they are doing. And just like 7th and 8th inning guys getting more money in the last 5 years I expect it to catch up with all pen arms. Then your $ per war numbers for pitching increases which is essentially the barometer for all trade balancing discussions now.
    I think that trend is more likely to settle than continue to expand—especially if the next CBA treats the QO issue. Right now, one thing that helps non-closers do well, in terms of AAV, is that higher-end non-closers are far less likely to be offered a QO, which facilitates a clearer market for them relative to higher-end closers and starters. But one of the reasons they're less likely to see a QO offer is they're more fungible—which is a reflection both of the volatility with relief pitching (especially; and all pitching, generally), and of a surplus of arms talented enough to work high-effort through an order once, but no more. These are likewise reasons why I don't see the value of that sort of pitcher skyrocketing.

I think teams will pay more for the truly high-end starters who can limit their exposure to innings pitched by talented-with-caveats pitchers, as well as young cost-controlled position players who can lower the leverage of those innings by widening the RS/RA gap. But I don't think the "two bullpen" model is going to make, say, Max Fried a lot more valuable in the coming years; I think it's instead a reflection of there being a lot of Max Fried-types in baseball at the moment. Hell, Josh Lucas looks like he can be a pretty good middle-reliever, yet the Cardinals didn't even find space for him on their roster, and all they received in return from the As was a tall kid who might become Josh Lucas in a few years.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think that trend is more likely to settle than continue to expand—especially if the next CBA treats the QO issue. Right now, one thing that helps non-closers do well, in terms of AAV, is that higher-end non-closers are far less likely to be offered a QO, which facilitates a clearer market for them relative to higher-end closers and starters. But one of the reasons they're less likely to see a QO offer is they're more fungible—which is a reflection both of the volatility with relief pitching especially, and of a surplus of arms talented enough to work high-effort through an order once, but no more; and likewise is a reason why I don't see the value of that sort of pitcher skyrocketing.

I think teams will pay more for the truly high-end starts who can limit their exposure to innings pitched by talented-with-caveats pitchers, as well as young cost-controlled position players who can lower the leverage of those innings by widening the RS/RA gap. But I don't think the "two bullpen" model is going to make, say, Max Fried a lot more valuable in the coming years; I think it's instead a reflection of there being a lot of Max Fried-types in baseball at the moment. Hell, Josh Lucas looks like he can be a pretty good middle-reliever, yet the Cardinals didn't even find space for him on their roster, and all they received in return from the As was a tall kid who might become Josh Lucas in a few years.
    Persuasive argument. Noted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Persuasive argument. Noted
    I truly wish trends in baseball were conspiring to make the previous regime's decision to rebuild through pitching seem prescient, but I just don't see it. I think the decision is just as defensible, and just as assailable, as it was at the time. There is value is having a lot of pre-arb/pre-FA pitching from one's own system, liberating budgetary resources to be sunk into position players (whether via FA or extenting), which is a smarter/safer use of limited coin; but the likelihood of being able to acquire more position-player talent by trading pitching still depends on a good number of those young pitchers hitting their upper-quintile projections.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-31-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Super great that we designated Akeel Morris for assignment. A relief pitcher with a plus plus changeup and decent control just doesnt fit what Chuck Hernandez is wanting to do with this staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    expecting a yuge game from Flaherty
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Super great that we designated Akeel Morris for assignment. A relief pitcher with a plus plus changeup and decent control just doesnt fit what Chuck Hernandez is wanting to do with this staff.
    Career 7.8 Bb/9

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Big game from Markakis

24. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Career 7.8 Bb/9
    Yea, his BB/9 is already where it needs to be; not much more Chuck Hernandez can do for him.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post: