#MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts

Tehearn Thread

What do we do with Tehearn?

He's essentially the same pitcher he was in 2013. He still hasn't learned how to attack hitters and get efficient innings. Every once in a while he goes 8 shutout and some here get all excited that he's turned the corner and will be our frontline ace, and then reality sets in and he barely can get through 4-5 innings. I've wanted to trade him since after his rookie year.

I'm still sad we kept him over Simba. Simba contract looks way better. Also... just the things Simba does to help a pitching staff.
    Forever Fredi

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Teheran hasn't had an xFIP under 4.13 since 2014.

He's just not a good pitcher anymore.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Pray he can string together a few good starts and trade him.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    Some of us have wanted to do that for years... he strings a few decent starts and the "we need to keep him because he's gonna be a steal with his contract" people chime in.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I was on board with keeping him when the rebuild started because we were fed it would be a quick turnaround and finding a similar pitcher to replace him would be difficult. But I've been aboard trading him for over a year now. Even if he goes on and has a career year the rest of 2018, I'd want to trade him.

People need to step up though. Newk, Gohara, Soroka,.... Can't have a rebuild centered on pitching and not one of them have panned out so far.

It's strange how we developed young pitchers so much easier prior to the rebuild. Wood, Medlen, Beachy, Hanson (RIP), JT, all were pretty immediate successes their rookie year (though Meds was a spot reliever/spot starter). Minor was pretty much the lone exception among our top prospects making the jump since like 2008 or so. Yet he was at least as good as Folty has been thus far.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    He’s gonna get beaten to shreds at Suntrust early. Really unusable at home.
    Ivermectin Man

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    What are we really going to get in return for him? He’s a known entity. A couple of “good” starts aren’t going to fool another team into thinking he’s a great pitcher and want to unload prospects to get him.

I just don’t see there being a market for him at this point. Now if we would have traded him at the time we unloaded most of the team we probably could have gotten a prospect or two in return. But at this point we’re pretty much stuck with him through next season. Then he’s gone.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's strange how we developed young pitchers so much easier prior to the rebuild. Wood, Medlen, Beachy, Hanson (RIP), JT, all were pretty immediate successes their rookie year (though Meds was a spot reliever/spot starter). Minor was pretty much the lone exception among our top prospects making the jump since like 2008 or so. Yet he was at least as good as Folty has been thus far.
    Not to full on conspiracy theory here. But for a decade McDowell was our pitching coach. He hasn't been the last 2 years. Folty is the only one of that crew that pitched under McDowell for any significant amount of time.

Though it's worth noting that through Age 25 Minor was superior to Folty as he compiled a 3.3 rWAR in 507 IP to Folty's 1.4 in 382 IP. Though I think Folty likely winds up being better if he can stay healthier because Minor had a blip year of success which Folty has shown a bit more consistency.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-04-2018), Jaw (04-04-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I've never been a pitchfork, trade Teheran guy. Still not. However, I think the guy who could iron out his deficiencies and minimize the terrible way he's pitching now is not our current pitching coach. I fear that younger pitchers will follow the same fate under Hernandez. That being said, Teheran could strand together 10 great starts and the warts will be there. We didn't trade him at an opportune time, but I feel they couldn't with this rebuild. NOW? Time for the children to produce and Teheran to get us that cash consideration guy....

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Suntrust is in Julio’s head. He’s not THIS bad (although his drop in velocity doesn’t help him). I’m not sure he can mentally recover from being tourched here so many times and he is not “that” much of a bargain now getting into the meat of his contract. When on the road he looks more like old Julio. Either way, Allard and his lack of velocity would do just as well or better for around 10 mil less going forward by the trade deadline.

The time to get a return has passed. If we can get anyone to just take his contract, which is not a bargain given his performance...we should do it. Sims or Wisler could even give equal or better innings.

Stats don’t lie. His fastball has decreased pretty much every year and he is still relatively YOUNG. He should be in his prime. It will only get worse from here.

I still want to beat myself with a hammer to think we traded prearb Wood (one of the reasons was a small down tick in velocity), but kept Julio in a rebuild...shoot me.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I've never been a pitchfork, trade Teheran guy. Still not. However, I think the guy who could iron out his deficiencies and minimize the terrible way he's pitching now is not our current pitching coach. I fear that younger pitchers will follow the same fate under Hernandez. That being said, Teheran could strand together 10 great starts and the warts will be there. We didn't trade him at an opportune time, but I feel they couldn't with this rebuild. NOW? Time for the children to produce and Teheran to get us that cash consideration guy....
    I HATE Hernandez, but you can’t coach a 88 mph fastball. He’s definitely not helping our young guys for sure.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Well you aren't going to get anything for him at this point. It's a lost season so just keep him to see how it turns out but the velocity drop is a big concern so far. Could be a candidate to be released in the offseason if things go badly.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Not to full on conspiracy theory here. But for a decade McDowell was our pitching coach. He hasn't been the last 2 years. Folty is the only one of that crew that pitched under McDowell for any significant amount of time.

Though it's worth noting that through Age 25 Minor was superior to Folty as he compiled a 3.3 rWAR in 507 IP to Folty's 1.4 in 382 IP. Though I think Folty likely winds up being better if he can stay healthier because Minor had a blip year of success which Folty has shown a bit more consistency.
    Don't think it's a conspiracy theory that McDowell is a far better pitching coach than Chuck Hernandez.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I HATE Hernandez, but you can’t coach a 88 mph fastball. He’s definitely not helping our young guys for sure.
    JT can’t live at 88 with his **** control. But what pitcher on this team throws strikes. Our beloved chuckie didn’t throw strikes as he fizzled out in the minors. His teams prior to the Braves didn’t throw strikes. And his current team doesn’t throw strikes. A pitching coach should be a person who charts and studies his staff to help them be the most successful. Develop routines and game plans for each guy. Chuckie sucks and our guys will only succeed on pure talent until he is gone. Getting rid of McDowell is up there with the HO trade imo.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

My hope here is that Anthopoulos is smart enough to see the problems with player development and connected enough to bring in people to fix those problems. It doesn't take much analysis to see that none of the pitchers have improved under the current pitching coach.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    JT can’t live at 88 with his **** control. But what pitcher on this team throws strikes. Our beloved chuckie didn’t throw strikes as he fizzled out in the minors. His teams prior to the Braves didn’t throw strikes. And his current team doesn’t throw strikes. A pitching coach should be a person who charts and studies his staff to help them be the most successful. Develop routines and game plans for each guy. Chuckie sucks and our guys will only succeed on pure talent until he is gone. Getting rid of McDowell is up there with the HO trade imo.
    It was a change for the sake of change move...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I am alone in this theory, but I think he muscled up as he developed physically and the resulting lack of fluidity has taken a few mphs off his fastball. He's always had flyball tendencies, so the fall-off in velocity is going to result in batted balls flying everywhere.

For those advocating a trade when he was performing better, we still don't know what offers were on the table. I can remember names like Devers and Benintendi tossed around when there were rumored talks with the Red Sox, but guys like that get traded for pitchers like Sale and not pitchers like Teheran. I'd be curious to know what, if any, serious offers were made and what was turned down.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    The velocity thing is one thing. I get it. Living at 92 is much better than 88-89 for sure. However, the disturbing trend is our starting pitchers are in 1-0, 2-0 counts almost immediately. What kind of philosophy is Hernandez about? I heard them say on the broadcast he preaches first pitch strikes(duh). That's great but what does he do to transform them into doing so?

Dennis Llewellyn would be a marvelously good pitching coach for the majors. The problem is that all the young guys would suffer without good tutelage. Derrick Lewis is good as well so he could be the new Llewellyn in the minors. In any case, 100mph or 90...Hernandez is not that dude to usher in the young pitchers to the majors.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I'm not sure you can even live at 88-89 if you're commanding anymore either given the recent changes offensively (and it's a striking change from really not too long ago). This rotation has shown that both going for "control and command with 88-92" and hot stuff doesn't work.

Control and command is still important but it's even better if you're sitting at higher numbers.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I have said from the day Hernandez was hired that he would set Braves pitching in a state of regression. His resume dictates that. In 2+ decades of coaching, he has had only one year of "good" results.. That year was when some young kid came to the leagues and pitched on talent alone. Verlander apparently leaned early the Hernandez didn't know what he was talking about.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-04-2018)