Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is for real?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    ISO is good. A high walk rate is good.

I focus on strikeout rates early in the season because it is a stat that does not need as big a sample size to indicate something real has changed. But it is not the only way a hitter could improve.
    If you look right now the best offensive teams tend to be the teams with the lowest strikeout rates.

I get the argument you could look at any stat and say, "X stat is low/high relative to league average performance therefore it correlates to better hitting production.

I'm a New Yorker and had to live through the Yankee late 90 dynastsy where all the guys on their team were 'tough outs'. Weren't big power hitters but weren't punch and judy guys either. I get a vibe like that with our current team.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If you look right now the best offensive teams tend to be the teams with the lowest strikeout rates.

I get the argument you could look at any stat and say, "X stat is low/high relative to league average performance therefore it correlates to better hitting production.

I'm a New Yorker and had to live through the Yankee late 90 dynastsy where all the guys on their team were 'tough outs'. Weren't big power hitters but weren't punch and judy guys either. I get a vibe like that with our current team.
    Yeah. We are not giving away at bats. Except for Albies to some extent.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Have we come full circle and realized that strikeouts are bad for hitters?
    Depends on the approach. If a player increases their strikeouts but it comes with increased slugging then you are likely to see a net gain but you know this.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

By 'right now' do you mean today? Because of the top 10 offensive teams last year you had 6 that were essentially league average in strikeouts with 3 below that mark and 1 above.

Of the top 10 teams last year in lowest K% you only had 3 with over a team 100 WRC+.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-20-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Lets talk about Wisler. He was good in his AAA starts and brilliant last night. Has he made tangible changes to become an effective major leaguer or is the same trickery that we have seen from him in the past?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    By 'right now' do you mean today? Because of the top 10 offensive teams last year you had 6 that were essentially league average in strikeouts with 3 below that mark and 1 above.

Of the top 10 teams last year in lowest K% you only had 3 with over a team 100 WRC+.
    The two best offenses in baseball last year had the two lowest strikeout rates.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The two best offenses in baseball last year had the two lowest strikeout rates.
    I think you mean 2 of the top 3. Know which team had the 3rd lowest strikeout rate last year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i came to this conclusion when our "strikeouts are fine" team floundered in the playoffs vs good pitching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think Suzuki has a new kind of revolution going. Hit it 340+ down the left field line. I'm not sure if all 3 of his homers have gone a combined 1050 feet or not.
    I also wonder if hitting the ball down the lines with backspin (as opposed to side spin that makes the ball hook and not carry) is a repeatable skill for some players.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Umm, no.

Outs are bad, period. More Ks are fine if it comes with more power. More Ks because the hitter sucks is not fine.

As usual, it's more nuanced than some cliche line about "put the ball in play and make the defense get you out", or "you can't score from 3rd on a K".

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I also wonder if hitting the ball down the lines with backspin (as opposed to side spin that makes the ball hook and not carry) is a repeatable skill for some players.
    Not sure if placement is something that can be repeated besides always trying to pull the ball. The spin of a ball is about where you hit it and I think that's something that a player can try to replicate.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Umm, no.

Outs are bad, period. More Ks are fine if it comes with more power. More Ks because the hitter sucks is not fine.

As usual, it's more nuanced than some cliche line about "put the ball in play and make the defense get you out", or "you can't score from 3rd on a K".
    Or as Joe put it last night. "Back in my day fast guys were told to hit in on the ground and outrun the ball."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-20-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Lets talk about Wisler. He was good in his AAA starts and brilliant last night. Has he made tangible changes to become an effective major leaguer or is the same trickery that we have seen from him in the past?
    He looked really good, and the stuff looked really good. He had a sharp slider/curve/slurve and was locating it really well. His fastball is still a bit straight, but he didn't really seem to throw it all that much. He also seemed to work inside more than I've seen from him in the past. Hopefully he can keep it up.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Or as Joe put it last night. "Back in my day fast guys were told to hit in on the ground and outrun the ball."
    This type of thinking helps explain why Joe was a terrible hitter.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozzie Swanson For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-20-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-20-2018), Prikichi (04-20-2018), The Chosen One (04-20-2018)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Enscheff mentioned that his pitch selection was different in the past start in that he abandoned his sinker that was worse than average. I think he can be a 5th starter, but I doubt that he has the veteran wiliness of a guy like JT to still be a 3rdish starter with mediocre stuff

I don't think Wisler would/will make our top 5 for next year
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    As enscheff said, it's all about risk/reward. I think for the Braves it matters because they don't have a lot of high-upside power guys. I've always advocated for a mix of hitters, but I don't see a problem with having a couple of high K free-swingers in the line-up if they cause damage when they make contact.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    As enscheff said, it's all about risk/reward. I think for the Braves it matters because they don't have a lot of high-upside power guys. I've always advocated for a mix of hitters, but I don't see a problem with having a couple of high K free-swingers in the line-up if they cause damage when they make contact.
    I thing those low contact high power guys get completely neutralized against great pitching. Of course great pitching will do that to the majority of hitters but the high contact average power guys have a better profile to work the counts and not look foolish. This to me is a regular season vs. playoff consideration as the pitching in the playoffs is typically of a higher quality.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I thing those low contact high power guys get completely neutralized against great pitching. Of course great pitching will do that to the majority of hitters but the high contact average power guys have a better profile to work the counts and not look foolish. This to me is a regular season vs. playoff consideration as the pitching in the playoffs is typically of a higher quality.
    There is zero data to support this theory other than whatever anecdotes you are going to post in response to this fact.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. We are not giving away at bats. Except for Albies to some extent.
    Yeah. That's probably why he's only OPSing .995. Scrub. (Yes, I realize that it's unlikely that he will do that over the long term. It's actually exciting that he really does have room for improvement.) I wonder what kind of hitter he will be eventually. Most seem to think .800 OPS from what I read on here (which is not bad), but I am thinking better than that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    There is zero data to support this theory other than whatever anecdotes you are going to post in response to this fact.
    If only the Braves made the playoffs last year. 3rd lowest K%...would of knocked around all that playoff pitching