Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong with Julio? (A Glimmer of Hope)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Agree that the four-seamer is pretty much a "spot" pitch for him now, but if it's in anyone's sweet zone, you might as well put a postage stamp on it. I've always admired his competitiveness, so maybe he can learn to pitch backwards and have some measure of success.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I will post his pitch usage when it’s available. It will be interesting to see how many FAs he threw.
    Fangraphs had him at 51% fastballs which was even less than his last time against Washington. Slider was at 30% with both the curve and change at 9%

Fastball also averaged 88.7 mph last night which actually is the lowest of the year so far.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Fangraphs had him at 51% fastballs which was even less than his last time against Washington. Slider was at 30% with both the curve and change at 9%

Fastball also averaged 88.7 mph last night which actually is the lowest of the year so far.
    From the Game Day broadcast that I followed, there were more 2-seam fastballs as opposed to 4-seam fastballs. Herrera's HR was on a four-seamer. When Teheran throws his four-seamer, it's going to have to be up in the eyes so a guy is chasing out of the zone. It appears that if his four-seamer is in the strike zone, it gets tattooed more than Peter Moylan.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    From the Game Day broadcast that I followed, there were more 2-seam fastballs as opposed to 4-seam fastballs. Herrera's HR was on a four-seamer. When Teheran throws his four-seamer, it's going to have to be up in the eyes so a guy is chasing out of the zone. It appears that if his four-seamer is in the strike zone, it gets tattooed more than Peter Moylan.
    You're probably right. The last two games he's seem to found something with his slider so hopefully it can continue.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    For context:

He has historically used his pitches roughly as (including the first 2 games of 2018)...

FA: 40%+
    SI: ~20%
    CH: ~8%
    SL: ~20%
    CU: ~10%

In his start 6 days ago he threw 96 pitches, only 24 (25%) were FAs, 29 (30%) were SIs, 28 (29%) were SLs, 11 (11%) were CHs, and 4 (4%) were CUs.

Last night, he also threw 96 pitches, broken down as:

25 FAs (26%), 21 SIs (22%), 27 SLs (28%), 9 CHs (9%), 13 CUs (14%)

Once again, he threw the FA much less than his career rate as suggested on these boards months ago in favor of more SIs and off speed stuff.

This is likely how Julio will have to evolve as a pitcher, drastically reducing the usage of his poor FA and relying on his above average breaking stuff. Of course, the 5+ BB/9 still needs to come down, but the 9+ K/9 is nice to see. Eventually batters are going to adjust and stop offering at the SL, at which point Julio will struggle again until he adjusts back.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-17-2018 at 11:16 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-17-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    The homer he gave up was on a slider that didn’t slide. Maybe it got mistaken for a FA. But it wasn’t.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Angels beat writer just mention Teheran and Michael Fulmer as potential targets for them at the deadline. They’ve got some interesting hitting prospects with Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh and Jahmai Jones.

Obviously we need Teheran to keep throwing well to deal him, but the Angels make a lot of sense based on their needs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Angels beat writer just mention Teheran and Michael Fulmer as potential targets for them at the deadline. They’ve got some interesting hitting prospects with Jo Adell, Brandon Marsh and Jahmai Jones.

Obviously we need Teheran to keep throwing well to deal him, but the Angels make a lot of sense based on their needs.
    Good thing Coppy got fired. He'd offer Julio for Maitian right now.

Also I'm glad to see the Angels playing well. Probably would be my current AL team. I like a lot of players on that squad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

I’m sure we will be endlessly debating Julio’s trade value in 3 months.

Hopefully the Braves are still on the edge of WC contention and we can talk about additions instead.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I doubt we'd get any of those guys for Teheran unless he threw complete game shutouts from now until the deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

to be honest, getting out of paying him 11m next year might well be worth trading him alone. You have to guess that the Braves can fill that rotation spot cheaper. If they could get a prospect or young player back for him then that's super great. I feel sort of sad for teams looking for pitchers if Fulmer and Teheran are the cream of the available crop.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I doubt we'd get any of those guys for Teheran unless he threw complete game shutouts from now until the deadline.
    Let me explain the principles of supply and demand.....
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Supply and Demand my friend.

If the top targets for SP available are Julio, Fulmer, and Archer, which isnt alot, then teams will have to overpay. And often times, teams overpay when they get desperate.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Supply and Demand my friend.

If the top targets for SP available are Julio, Fulmer, and Archer, which isnt alot, then teams will have to overpay. And often times, teams overpay when they get desperate.
    Sweet!!

Here we gooooo!!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Things can obviously change but all 3 were pegged with a 50FV. I've thought that would be the range in what you could get for Julio over the past year or so. If he's pitching well at the ASB I could see one of those guys coming back in a hypothetical deal with the contender tax.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Things can obviously change but all 3 were pegged with a 50FV. I've thought that would be the range in what you could get for Julio over the past year or so. If he's pitching well at the ASB I could see one of those guys coming back in a hypothetical deal with the contender tax.
    I’m skeptical, like 50, but it’s potentially plausible if the asks for Fullmer and Archer are prohibitive.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    If Julio is pitching well enough to bring back a 50 Fv player then chances are the team is in WC contention and would never trade him.
    If Julio stinks there is no way the team is in the WC chase. So then he will be a salary dump.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    If Julio is pitching well enough to bring back a 50 Fv player then chances are the team is in WC contention and would never trade him.
    If Julio stinks there is no way the team is in the WC chase. So then he will be a salary dump.
    That's the sort of bind teams often find themselves sliding into when they're up the cusp, but not quite over the threshold, of competing.

I'd personally favor trading Julio even if he's pitching well and the team is in WC contention—rolling the dice that Soroka can come close to approximating Teheran's performance—given the organization's depth in young pitching, the chance for a little more prospect depth to be brought in, and the additional $11 million it'd open up for FA chasing for 2019.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    That's the sort of bind teams often find themselves sliding into when they're up the cusp, but not quite over the threshold, of competing.

I'd personally favor trading Julio even if he's pitching well and the team is in WC contention—rolling the dice that Soroka can come close to approximating Teheran's performance—given the organization's depth in young pitching, the chance for a little more prospect depth to be brought in, and the additional $11 million it'd open up for FA chasing for 2019.
    This.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post

I agree. I would trade him just to free up the money. His fastball is gone and I don’t think he will survive just throwing breaking pitches. Maybe RA could come back and teach him a knuckle ball