Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: What's Wrong with Julio? (A Glimmer of Hope)

  1. #41
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,752
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,187
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,463
    Thanked in
    1,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Sweet!!

    Here we gooooo!!
    I never said a top 10 prospect or anything but there arent a ton of projected good SP's on the market.

    Then again if Julio implodes nothing will happen.

  2. #42
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,969
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,532
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,505
    Thanked in
    1,049 Posts
    Unless Julio turns into Greg Maddux circa 1995, I am for trading him at the deadline no matter the position we are in. Even then, in this market the demand for a pitcher in his mid-late 20's pitching well on a team friendly deal should be very high and I'd still look to rob someone blind.

  3. #43
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,117
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    252
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,070
    Thanked in
    825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Unless Julio turns into Greg Maddux circa 1995, I am for trading him at the deadline no matter the position we are in. Even then, in this market the demand for a pitcher in his mid-late 20's pitching well on a team friendly deal should be very high and I'd still look to rob someone blind.
    Well, youd fail to trade him.

  4. #44
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,238
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    518
    Thanked in
    391 Posts
    I think this Julio can be a very good player. Good on that deal.

    He is just miscast as a front of the rotation guy. It’s like hitting ender first, love ender and it’s not his fault they hit him first

    He can be a solid an affordable starter to help transition to the new wave. We’ve done well so far with scrap heap guts but we should be past that next year.

  5. #45
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,750
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,482
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,560
    Thanked in
    3,412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Let me explain the principles of supply and demand.....
    I am a public economist by trade, so I know a little about supply and demand.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    DaneHill (04-18-2018), jpx7 (04-18-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-18-2018)

  7. #46
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,991
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,946
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,748
    Thanked in
    1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I am a public economist by trade, so I know a little about supply and demand.
    I DEMAND cheaper beer at SunTrust!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

    Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

  8. #47
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,851
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,817
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,968
    Thanked in
    2,886 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I am a public economist by trade, so I know a little about supply and demand.
    I'm sorry 50. It was meant as a joke for the mocking I get from another on this board.

    I hope you would never think I would act like this towards you. Apologize for that.
    Warm feelings guy!

  9. #48
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,339
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,304
    Thanked in
    2,445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm sorry 50. It was meant as a joke for the mocking I get from another on this board.

    I hope you would never think I would act like this towards you. Apologize for that.
    Jeez, it's not like you killed his cat.

    Economists lack humor - it's well documented.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

    Tapate50 (04-18-2018)

  11. #49
    Shift Leader CyYoung31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,018
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,570
    Thanked in
    3,340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm sorry 50. It was meant as a joke for the mocking I get from another on this board.

    I hope you would never think I would act like this towards you. Apologize for that.
    What a jerk!

  12. #50
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18,648
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,209
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    I suggested a while ago in this thread that Julio should drop his FA usage and increase his SL usage.

    It looks like that was the plan, or at least seemed to be the plan, in game 1:

    https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/veloci...s-opening-day/

    Julio at 91.5 and using the SL more often is an acceptable back end SP.

  13. #51
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    28,150
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,084
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9,591
    Thanked in
    6,153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I am a public economist by trade, so I know a little about supply and demand.
    credentials and expertise don't matter so much...your attitude is old-fashioned and elitist

    except when it comes to a bypass...then people want the best heart surgeon...funny how that works
    I WANT NOTHiNG. I WANT NOTHiNG.

  14. #52
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    28,150
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,084
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9,591
    Thanked in
    6,153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I suggested a while ago in this thread that Julio should drop his FA usage and increase his SL usage.

    It looks like that was the plan, or at least seemed to be the plan, in game 1:

    https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/veloci...s-opening-day/

    Julio at 91.5 and using the SL more often is an acceptable back end SP.
    Actually Julio at 91.5 with the improved movement on the off-speed pitches might be a bit more than a back end SP. I noticed yesterday he put a couple hitters away with 93 mph at the top of the strike zone. If he has that in his back pocket when sitting at 91-92 with the improved off-speed pitches he could be one of those guys with a mid-career resurgence.

    I also wonder if pitching to McCann will help him. Flowers is a good framer but sometimes eccentric in his sequencing decisions. I liked that McCann got him to mix in the changeup in some key situations. Just something extra for hitters to think about.
    I WANT NOTHiNG. I WANT NOTHiNG.

  15. #53
    It's OVER 5,000! zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    5,625
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    291
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,264
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Man if Julio really can re invent himself its yuge

  16. #54
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,117
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    252
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,070
    Thanked in
    825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Actually Julio at 91.5 with the improved movement on the off-speed pitches might be a bit more than a back end SP. I noticed yesterday he put a couple hitters away with 93 mph at the top of the strike zone. If he has that in his back pocket when sitting at 91-92 with the improved off-speed pitches he could be one of those guys with a mid-career resurgence.

    I also wonder if pitching to McCann will help him. Flowers is a good framer but sometimes eccentric in his sequencing decisions. I liked that McCann got him to mix in the changeup in some key situations. Just something extra for hitters to think about.
    I think the 5.40 era is sustainable.

Similar Threads

  1. What's the best we could hope for in 2018?
    By sturg33 in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-01-2017, 08:36 AM
  2. Wtf... is wrong with Julio....
    By jcc03004 in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-20-2017, 04:16 PM
  3. Payroll and hope...
    By TheBravos in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-16-2017, 01:42 PM
  4. The Hope Above All Hope
    By clvclv in forum The 2019 Chronicles: The Free Men of the Golden Wren Era Take the Neck's Step.
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-06-2015, 12:02 AM
  5. DIck Cheney Wrong then, Wrong now...
    By goldfly in forum LOCKER ROOM TALK
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 09-14-2015, 08:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •