Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has Markakis changed his swing?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think around 18. Why would Neck turn down 17 to 18 mill for one year, while playing on a good team to test FA market that will blow its money on the big names. I don’t think he comes close to 17 mill per year.
    He wouldn't turn it down. A QO would completely tank his FA market. He will be lucky to top $18M total in his next deal without a QO attached.

It isn't an option in the real world, just a thought experiment on what scenario it might make sense. If the Braves didn't have to offer the QO until after Harper and Pollock signed it might be an option.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He wouldn't turn it down. A QO would completely tank his FA market. He will be lucky to top $18M total in his next deal without a QO attached.

It isn't an option in the real world, just a thought experiment on what scenario it might make sense. If the Braves didn't have to offer the QO until after Harper and Pollock signed it might be an option.
    This is a good post and a good representation of what the situation actually will be.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    If Nick miraculously posted a 6+ WAR season, I'd gladly offer a QO and take the risk that he signs it.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I'm probably not gonna go for giving Neck 18 after I've heard all the bitching and moanind about how he is making 11.
    I would pay Neck anyway for wanting to kick some front office ass when they messed with his coach.

That pays for the contract itself.

You need bad asses like that on the team.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (05-11-2018), clvclv (05-10-2018), JohnAdcox (05-11-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If Nick miraculously posted a 6+ WAR season, I'd gladly offer a QO and take the risk that he signs it.
    Don't think anyone else imagines that happening either. That said, I don't think it will take QO-level money to get him to come back assuming his production levels off either. At his age, his market could easily crumble when you consider most teams with money will see him as a 4th or 5th option (at best). When you consider the guys that will be higher priorities than him, you've got...

1.) Harper
    2.) Pollock
    3.) Cruz
    4.) Jones
    5.) Gardner (potentially)
    6.) Marwin Gonzalez

He's at home at the tail-end of his career and is playing on a "winner" that stands to get even better quickly. It would surely ruffle the feathers of those who hated signing him in the first place to do it, but as pointed out above, any corner upgrade that doesn't come via trade is likely going to be either terribly expensive (Harper or Pollock), or require more money than most would want to pay for declining years (Jones), hanging onto Nick for a little longer might be the best option if AA doesn't trade for someone (or Riley potentially shifts to the OF if another 3B option is signed).

If he's not going to land a 3-4 year deal elsewhere for significant money (which last winter showed us is unlikely to happen these days), maybe talk to him now about extending through 2019 for $12-$13 million if you're planning to spend big at 3B? If you assume we're NOT going to play at the top end of the market (Harper/Machado/Donaldson) because of the scary part of the back end of one of those deals, hanging onto Nick while you transition Riley to the OF and signing Moose to a 3-4 year deal would leave you money to spend elsewhere (or on extensions). Draft whichever 3B falls to you at #8 (assuming one of Bohm, India, or Gorman does) to become Moose's eventual replacement.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Yea exactly. I just hope the Braves don't get fooled by a contract year mirage and think he should be a viable solution for next year.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    He's at home at the tail-end of his career and is playing on a "winner" that stands to get even better quickly. It would surely ruffle the feathers of those who hated signing him in the first place to do it, but as pointed out above, any corner upgrade that doesn't come via trade is likely going to be either terribly expensive (Harper or Pollock), or require more money than most would want to pay for declining years (Jones), hanging onto Nick for a little longer might be the best option if AA doesn't trade for someone (or Riley potentially shifts to the OF if another 3B option is signed).
    You forgot McCutchen,Brantley, and Puig.

Anyway, the reality is that the Braves have a bit of a luxury. Because of the Dustin Peterson dilemma. Pache is coming up. Waters is also around the corner. Dustin Peterson has done all he can do in AAA. He won't be a star in the majors, but is it worth it to spend money on a year or 2 of markakis (with the second year potentially blocking Pache) when Peterson could possibly supply equivalent value? Keep in mind I'm not talking pure value, meaning Peterson hits as well as Markakis, but I'm talking Peterson+. Would Peterson+ Beltre be better for us than Markakis? Probably. Give us bandaids at 2 positions where we have top prospects coming through the pipeline.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Only way I see Nick turning down $18 million is if he sustains his current pace and has a 6-7 WAR season and even then I’m sure most teams would be extremely hesitant to give up a draft pick plus the money.

A likely outcome I see is we try our hand at some of the younger corner OFs in the market then reapproach Nick for a two year 30 million deal if nothing materializes.
    You’d pay him 15m for two years?

Give him a raise?

I’d wait for the same teams that didn’t trade for him to not sign him as a free agent and then offer him less than he makes now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Seriously, I don’t get paying him 18 million under any circumstance.

But I would enjoy the hate, lol.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You’d pay him 15m for two years?

Give him a raise?

I’d wait for the same teams that didn’t trade for him to not sign him as a free agent and then offer him less than he makes now.
    This. I see Nick being one of those guys that signs late and for under market.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You forgot McCutchen,Brantley, and Puig.

Anyway, the reality is that the Braves have a bit of a luxury. Because of the Dustin Peterson dilemma. Pache is coming up. Waters is also around the corner. Dustin Peterson has done all he can do in AAA. He won't be a star in the majors, but is it worth it to spend money on a year or 2 of markakis (with the second year potentially blocking Pache) when Peterson could possibly supply equivalent value? Keep in mind I'm not talking pure value, meaning Peterson hits as well as Markakis, but I'm talking Peterson+. Would Peterson+ Beltre be better for us than Markakis? Probably. Give us bandaids at 2 positions where we have top prospects coming through the pipeline.
    Didn't "forget" them, just can't possibly see them as viable options (other than Cutch potentially) - can't imagine the Braves want Puig anywhere near their clubhouse, and I want no part of Brantley and his brittleness.

D-Pete still has a long way to go to profile as an everyday option, Pache will never see a corner, and if you see Waters as "around the corner", you may be the only one - I love his athleticism, but hitting .227 at Rome doesn't inspire much from me. He has plenty of time to deliver on his promise, but he's not coming close to being someone I wouldn't include in a trade to improve the big club just yet.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Didn't "forget" them, just can't possibly see them as viable options (other than Cutch potentially) - can't imagine the Braves want Puig anywhere near their clubhouse, and I want no part of Brantley and his brittleness.

D-Pete still has a long way to go to profile as an everyday option, Pache will never see a corner, and if you see Waters as "around the corner", you may be the only one - I love his athleticism, but hitting .227 at Rome doesn't inspire much from me. He has plenty of time to deliver on his promise, but he's not coming close to being someone I wouldn't include in a trade to improve the big club just yet.
    Pache will probably see the corner or if he doesn't than Inciarte moves to the corner.

Brantley has essentially been hurt for 2 years.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Pache will probably see the corner or if he doesn't than Inciarte moves to the corner.

Brantley has essentially been hurt for 2 years.
    Pache won't see the big leagues as long as Ender's still a Brave.

Moving Acuna to a corner makes sense, but Pache doesn't profile as having more power than Markakis - YET. Let's not get the cart before the horse - expecting Cristian to turn into Acuna's slightly premature.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-10-2018 at 08:46 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Seriously, I don’t get paying him 18 million under any circumstance.

But I would enjoy the hate, lol.
    I think some team would easily take a salary dump for 1 year of a guy coming off a 6 WAR season. And at worst, we have a 6 WAR player and a clubhouse leader on a 1 year contract.

It's a moot point cause it's extremely unlikely Neck gets to 6 WAR and probably just as unlikely the Braves offer the QO.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think some team would easily take a salary dump for 1 year of a guy coming off a 6 WAR season. And at worst, we have a 6 WAR player and a clubhouse leader on a 1 year contract.

It's a moot point cause it's extremely unlikely Neck gets to 6 WAR and probably just as unlikely the Braves offer the QO.
    I’m not following you on salary dump.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I’m not following you on salary dump.
    If he accepts the QO and we didn't want him at 18 million for 1 year, he should be moveable coming off of a 6 WAR season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    If he accepts the QO and we didn't want him at 18 million for 1 year, he should be moveable coming off of a 6 WAR season.
    Ah. I get it know.

I just don't think his market is going to get anywhere near 18 million. Could be way off, but I think teams will look at the previous three seasons more than this one. 18 million is an awful lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If someone is going to give neck a 3 year deal then so be it. Thanks for your service. I think a 1 and 1 deal will get it done assuming harper is off the table

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If someone is going to give neck a 3 year deal then so be it. Thanks for your service. I think a 1 and 1 deal will get it done assuming harper is off the table
    I think you are a crazy person. He will be 35 and is bad on D. Coming off a career year. Peterson/Tucker gets you 1 war maybe 2-2.5 for 1 million. I do not think 34 yo neck will be 4+ WAR nor do I think 35 y/o neck will be.

I'd love to be wrong about this year.

Suzuki is in a similar boat. We brought him back at more money but not crazy more money. If we are paying 35 yo neck 15+ million then we had an off season fail.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think you are a crazy person. He will be 35 and is bad on D. Coming off a career year. Peterson/Tucker gets you 1 war maybe 2-2.5 for 1 million. I do not think 34 yo neck will be 4+ WAR nor do I think 35 y/o neck will be.

I'd love to be wrong about this year.

Suzuki is in a similar boat. We brought him back at more money but not crazy more money. If we are paying 35 yo neck 15+ million then we had an off season fail.
    We are way past the point in our competive window where we should be playing a window of Tucker/D Pete. We shouldn’t be looking at options that will provide 1 WAR. I’ll riot if that’s what we roll with in 2019.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-11-2018), Jaw (05-11-2018), thethe (05-11-2018)