Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts

The Official Thread of Pachemonium

This worked with The Venezuelan Trout, as he is now the consensus number 1 prospect in the game.

Cristian Pache gets his season started tonight in A+ ball at Jackie Robinson Park in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Pache seems like one of the best candidates to have another meteoric rise in the rankings. Hopefully he actually made the adjustments necessary to produce some power.

Who seems like a good comp for Pache, assuming that he does end up developing above average power? I haven't seen anyone make this comp, but would Buxton be reasonable? When it comes to speed and defense they seem very similar.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-28-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    The Dominican trout.
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I already did an upside/downside post in another thread, so I'll do it again with the clear one. Upside is Lorenzo Cain with a tick more HR pop. Downside is the Andrelton Simmons of CF.

I've also seen McCutchen named as a comp.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-28-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I already did an upside/downside post in another thread, so I'll do it again with the clear one. Upside is Lorenzo Cain with a tick more HR pop. Downside is the Andrelton Simmons of CF.

I've also seen McCutchen named as a comp.
    Can you please let me know who comped him to Cutch so I can be sure to mock them for the rest of my life?

Cutch has been a solidly negative defender in CF his entire career. Pache is supposedly the best defensive player in the minors at any position.

Your comp of Simmons in CF is probably fairly reasonable as one of his higher end outcomes. His non-injury floor is a defensive sub 5th OFer.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-06-2018), jpx7 (04-06-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Can you please let me know who comped him to Cutch so I can be sure to mock them for the rest of my life?

Cutch has been a solidly negative defender in CF his entire career. Pache is supposedly the best defensive player in the minors at any position.

Your comp of Simmons in CF is probably fairly reasonable as one of his higher end outcomes. His non-injury floor is a defensive sub 5th OFer.
    He wasn't meaning on both sides, but I'm talking about Big Ben. The guy that now writes for a Twins fansided site.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    He wasn't meaning on both sides, but I'm talking about Big Ben. The guy that now writes for a Twins fansided site.
    Big Ben. Well cheff already mocks him so no worries.
    Coppy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-06-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Yeah I think a lot depends on just how good his defense really is. Is it young Peter Bourjos good or is it Byron Buxton/Kevin Kiermaier good? All I have heard is that he is the best CF in the minors defensively. If it really is that kind of good, his hit/power tools probably only need to get to 45/50ish levels for him to be a valuable major league piece. That type of transcendental defense can lead to some obscene WAR numbers. Kiermaier was a 7.5 win player in '15 with an OPS of .718 and an OBP that didn't crack .300.

I'm not saying that his defense is on that level. I truly don't know. But if it is, his bat only has to be below average-average for him to be a valuable piece. Now, if his bat actually becomes good too.... look out.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah I think a lot depends on just how good his defense really is. Is it young Peter Bourjos good or is it Byron Buxton/Kevin Kiermaier good? All I have heard is that he is the best CF in the minors defensively. If it really is that kind of good, his hit/power tools probably only need to get to 45/50ish levels for him to be a valuable major league piece. That type of transcendental defense can lead to some obscene WAR numbers. Kiermaier was a 7.5 win player in '15 with an OPS of .718 and an OBP that didn't crack .300.

I'm not saying that his defense is on that level. I truly don't know. But if it is, his bat only has to be below average-average for him to be a valuable piece. Now, if his bat actually becomes good too.... look out.
    It's Buxton level.

I think Pache also has a chance to be a .300 guy with 20-25 HR with a lot of steals.

He can be, like the poster said earlier, The Dominican Trout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

I'll preface this by saying that I have never expected much out of him because of what I saw him do at the plate. With that out of the way....

It's hard to explain how just how good he is defensively, you just have to see it. His feet seem to instantly know where the ball is going to land in the outfield so he always takes perfect routes to the landing spot, a lot like Andruw did. Probably not as good at that as Andruw was, but he is also faster than Andruw. He also has a big time arm. I don't know what the evaluators say about it, but it certainly looks like it should be at the top of any grading scale. Every time I saw him in Rome I was blown away, I just didn't expect to see that level of skill in little Rome Georgia.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-06-2018), nsacpi (04-07-2018), Tapate50 (04-06-2018)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    McCutchen was consistently rated as an excellent defender by those same scouts when he was coming up in the minors.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Pache seems like one of the best candidates to have another meteoric rise in the rankings. Hopefully he actually made the adjustments necessary to produce some power.

Who seems like a good comp for Pache, assuming that he does end up developing above average power? I haven't seen anyone make this comp, but would Buxton be reasonable? When it comes to speed and defense they seem very similar.
    Pray that Pache learns to recognize the slider down-and-away. That kills Buxton the same way it bedevils Swanson. As for speed, Buxton is the fastest player in the majors, so that's a steep task for Pache to match.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Pray that Pache learns to recognize the slider down-and-away. That kills Buxton the same way it bedevils Swanson. As for speed, Buxton is the fastest player in the majors, so that's a steep task for Pache to match.
    Faster than Hamilton?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Faster than Hamilton?
    I can't find the Fangraphs blog post from last year, but it had Buxton as the fastest player in the majors. But Statcast has Hamilton as the fastest with Buxton second.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I can't find the Fangraphs blog post from last year, but it had Buxton as the fastest player in the majors. But Statcast has Hamilton as the fastest with Buxton second.
    It's impressive just to be in that group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Faster than Hamilton?
    Turner?

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Best Speed

Jorge Mateo, SS/OF, Athletics
    Roman Quinn, OF, Phillies
    Franchy Cordero, OF, Padres
    Victor Robles, OF, Nationals
    Cristian Pache, OF, Braves
    Speed kills, both on the basepaths and in the field, and quite a few prospects can turn on the burners with the best of them. Jorge Mateo and Roman Quinn are two prospects who earn top-of-the-scale 80 grades from evaluators with their speed, while Franchy Cordero and Victor Robles have wowed with their speed in center field and the ground they can cover. Cristian Pache edged Mariners OF Ian Miller and Reds OF Jose Siri for the final spot, and there are plenty of players in the low minors who can fly, such as Angels OF Trent Deveaux, and still have a few years to grow into their bodies.

Best Defensive Outfielder

Victor Robles, OF, Nationals
    Cristian Pache, OF, Braves
    Brett Phillips, OF, Brewers
    Magneuris Sierra, OF, Marlins
    Braden Bishop, OF, Mariners
    The greats make everything look easy, and Victor Robles makes the difficult task of playing center field look remarkably sol. With elite speed, a big arm and amazing natural reflexes and reads, Robles takes care of everything in center field in all directions to give the Nationals a future Gold Glove candidate. Cristian Pache draws similar raves at the lower levels, while Brett Phillips already has shown flashes of elite defense at all three outfield spots in the majors. Magneuris Sierra and Braden Bishop are elite defensive center fielders who edged out a strong crop of remaining candidates, including the Braves’ Ronald Acuna, the Reds’ Jose Siri and the Indians’ Greg Allen.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...in-the-minors/
    Last edited by ball4life32; 04-07-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Said it before, if we had to lose someone, i'm glad it was Maitan.

I'm on Riley > Maitan, and Pache has absurd upside.

AA doesnt seem to rush guys so i dont think he'll run through the minors like Acuna did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Acuna is just that rare prospect that could handle every level thrown at him, it would be super rare to have 2 guys do that ever let alone with in a year of each other. If Pache is up there with Robles then we will be in excellent shape moving forward.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Acuna is just that rare prospect that could handle every level thrown at him, it would be super rare to have 2 guys do that ever let alone with in a year of each other. If Pache is up there with Robles then we will be in excellent shape moving forward.
    It is. How crazy would it be that Pache would make it 3 guys for the Braves