Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: GDT 4/6 - Coors Lights- Return of the SUZUKI

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I think Gohara, Soroka AND Touki will make major contributions... plus Kyle Wright, I suspect, is very close to being ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Cory Dickerson looking like a solid pickup for Pittsburgh.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I think Gohara, Soroka AND Touki will make major contributions... plus Kyle Wright, I suspect, is very close to being ready.
    First two are possible. Last two have zero chance of making it to the majors this season.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The offense once Acuna/Camargo are up should be ok, and the bullpen has some pieces minus the 6th-8th guys but the rotation is what will hurt the team. Not getting length from starters is gonna be a big concern.

Cant outslug teams every night.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Gohara and Soroka could certainly get called up, dont see any chance Wright/Touki sniff the majors even in September.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    It's too bad we signed PB, as Arizona DFA'd Jeremy Hazelbaker. MLBTR: "Hazelbaker, who is best known for his unbelievable start to the 2016 season, will lose his roster spot despite having compiled a .258/.327/.500 slash line through 285 MLB plate appearances. The 30-year-old has also mostly demolished Triple-A pitching in recent seasons. While high batting averages on balls in play leave plenty of room for skepticism, Hazelbaker has always posted lofty BABIP figures as a professional. He also knows how to swipe a bag and can play any of the three outfield positions, so perhaps another team will take a shot."

That said, we could still claim him and send him to AAA since he has an option left.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 04-06-2018 at 10:31 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-07-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    The offense once Acuna/Camargo are up should be ok, and the bullpen has some pieces minus the 6th-8th guys but the rotation is what will hurt the team. Not getting length from starters is gonna be a big concern.

Cant outslug teams every night.
    If Gohara and Soroka eventually come up and are successful, this rotation could be good enough. Teheran, McCarthy, Folty, Newcomb, Gohara, and Soroka would give us six fairly solid options. There isn't a proven ace among that group, but a few steady arms and a few others that have high upside. As long as Chucky doesn't Chuckinize them, I think the rotation could be pretty darn good by June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    Lack of faith in Dansbae and Venezuelan Trout?
    i know sacrilege around here...but yes I think our offensive production from the 4-8 spots will be below the average for the major leagues this year

doesn't mean we are doomed...below average covers a lot of territory and hopefully we won't be too far below average in those spots
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I expect our offense to be good enough, once Acuna is up, and if Tucker continues to hit and plays over Markakis. The bullpen looks okay outside of a few. I'm not sold on Moylan this go around but I hope I'm wrong as I like him so much. The main problem I see is the starting pitching, Teheran has to pitch better and I am not sold on Sanchez and Newk at all. Even if Teheran improves it's still a weak rotation overall. But once you add Gohara and Soroka to it, then that could change as they both could help right away.
    Soroka and Gohara are the keys imo...even with their youth and inexperience they are our best hopes for putting together an above average pitching staff this year

As for the rest, I also am a skeptic on Newk. Sanchez was a good pickup and will probably be an ok fifth starter. He won't make or break the pitching staff.

I think Teheran will figure things out. And I lean slightly optimistic on Folty and McCarthy.

Imo our pitching will be slightly above average this year. Both for relievers and starters.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i know sacrilege around here...but yes I think our offensive production from the 4-8 spots will be below the average for the major leagues this year

doesn't mean we are doomed...below average covers a lot of territory and hopefully we won't be too far below average in those spots
    4-8 probably looks like this

Acuna/suzuki/camargo/Swanson

Which part of that group drags down the production to the level you are projecting?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

Which part of that group drags down the production to the level you are projecting?
    I’m Swanson’s #1 fan, but he still has something to prove. Suzuki was great last season, can he match that? Camargo’s BABIP was inflated last season, so he has something to prove. Acuna will rake, but will it be this season? I can see be cautious with this group. With that said, I think Swanson, camargo, and acuna ball this season. Still not sure about Suzuki

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

All of the above

4. Acuna less than the average cleanup hitter
    5. Markakis less than the average #5
    6. Flower/Suzuki might be our best shot at matching the average, but Suzuki is a big regression candidate
    7. Camargo less than the average #7
    8. Swanson might match or exceed the typical #8, but you have to remember with injuries and all a lot of scrubs will be hitting in the #8 spot and they won't be as hot as the scrubs hitting there have been so far. We do not have any good hitting scrubs. None of Flaherty/Adams/Bourjos/Culberson are even decent hitters. Do not be fooled by the small sample from the first couple weeks of the season.

Tucker is a good hitter and will be a welcome addition to the bench when Acuna gets called up. But he won't be hitting in the 8th spot. He will be taking a spot higher up in the lineup when Acuna/Markakis/Inciarte get a day off or are injured. And I imagine he will get used as a DH when we visit an American League team.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-07-2018 at 08:32 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't think that's unfair analysis. I'm more bullish on Camargo. But as I age I just want a lineup where there are no easy outs and what I see is 1-8 that won't give up ABs. That has me very excited about the offense but obviously this early season surge is heavily BABIP fueled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I don't think that's unfair analysis. I'm more bullish on Camargo. But as I age I just want a lineup where there are no easy outs and what I see is 1-8 that won't give up ABs. That has me very excited about the offense but obviously this early season surge is heavily BABIP fueled.
    I am more bullish on our pitching. I think we'll be close to .500 this year. Progress.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I am more bullish on our pitching. I think we'll be close to .500 this year. Progress.
    I think yhe pen is going to be an issue later in the year but I've always been bullish on the starting rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think yhe pen is going to be an issue later in the year but I've always been bullish on the starting rotation.
    I'm glad we traded for McCarthy rather than assuming Fried was ready.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm glad we traded for McCarthy rather than assuming Fried was ready.
    McCarthy was a brilliant add by AA. Taking advantage of the finances of another team is working to our advantage.

Really only the bourjos deal hasn't worked. Great start to his gm tenure with the braves.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    All of the above

4. Acuna less than the average cleanup hitter
    5. Markakis less than the average #5
    6. Flower/Suzuki might be our best shot at matching the average, but Suzuki is a big regression candidate
    7. Camargo less than the average #7
    8. Swanson might match or exceed the typical #8, but you have to remember with injuries and all a lot of scrubs will be hitting in the #8 spot and they won't be as hot as the scrubs hitting there have been so far. We do not have any good hitting scrubs. None of Flaherty/Adams/Bourjos/Culberson are even decent hitters. Do not be fooled by the small sample from the first couple weeks of the season.

Tucker is a good hitter and will be a welcome addition to the bench when Acuna gets called up. But he won't be hitting in the 8th spot. He will be taking a spot higher up in the lineup when Acuna/Markakis/Inciarte get a day off or are injured. And I imagine he will get used as a DH when we visit an American League team.
    For someone who normally has a good understanding of sample size, you sure did give up on Swanson awfully fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    McCarthy was a brilliant add by AA. Taking advantage of the finances of another team is working to our advantage.

Really only the bourjos deal hasn't worked. Great start to his gm tenure with the braves.
    Carle, Tucker, Flaherty also making him look good so far. Maybe Sanchez too. But small sample sizes all around.

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Here is how I see it once we are at full strength and we have the lineup figured out:

1. Inciarte - Will be typical Inciarte. Average bat with good defense.
    2. Albies - Will give us above average production for a 2.
    3. Freeman - Top 3 hitter in the game.
    4. Acuna - I disagree with nscapi. I think Acuna comes in and is average to slightly above for the 4 (once we actually slot him in at 4).
    5. Tucker - I think he forces his way into the lineup in place of Nick. I think he gives average production for the 5. I think his bat really is above avg. for the MLB.
    6. Suzuki - I expect a good bit of regression from last year. Below average production for the 6 hole.
    7. Camargo - I'm not a huge believer in his bat. I think below average offensive production for the 7, but good defense at 3rd.
    8. Swanson - I think his improvements are real to some extent, but he is still a slightly below average bat. Maybe average for the 8 hole.

Overall I think 1-5 will give us really good production offensively. I like the idea of Freeman/Acuna/Tucker far better than Freeman/Acuna/Nick... Its just a scarier 3-5 to face. Maybe give Nick the starts vs. LH starters since I'm not convinced in Tucker vs. lefties. But I still think that playing Tucker over Nick and then subbing him out after the 6th or 7th is the optimal strategy for the lineup, but maybe I'm being a bit bullish on Tucker. I liked that trade from day 1 so maybe its just me overreacting to my guy (Tucker) playing well. So I think 1-5 will be good. 6-8 is where I'm kinda worried. I've just got to see more from Swanson, Camargo, and Kurt before I'm ready to say that they will give us average to above average production.

One good thing about this lineup, however, is just how balanced it is. I like the idea of the lineup going L,S,L,R,L,R,S,R. Tough to plan for late in the game since both of our switch hitters favor the right side. It also has a nice blend of speed and power, provided that Tucker is legit and Acuna comes up and gives us another power threat.