Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Acuna- what are everyone's thoughts on when

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I think Acuna and his agent are brilliant. They are basically saying. Ok Braves. You said you sent me down not because of service time manipulation. So I will bomb the first month and see if you flinch. Genisuses.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Acunas defense alone will provide value in LF. You guys are crazy for thinking that his performance so far in AAA this year will dictate anything. First day eligible for Super 2 is the day. The era of Albies/Acuna/Swanson is upon us.
    I don't think you know what you're talking about here.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think Acuna and his agent are brilliant. They are basically saying. Ok Braves. You said you sent me down not because of service time manipulation. So I will bomb the first month and see if you flinch. Genisuses.
    Could you maybe explain that strategy a little bit more?

It seems like his struggles will either have no effect on the Braves plans or it is going to extend his time in the Minors, meaning he will make a whole lot less money.

What exactly is the genius move here?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Acunas defense alone will provide value in LF. You guys are crazy for thinking that his performance so far in AAA this year will dictate anything. First day eligible for Super 2 is the day. The era of Albies/Acuna/Swanson is upon us.
    So sometime in June then?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Could you maybe explain that strategy a little bit more?

It seems like his struggles will either have no effect on the Braves plans or it is going to extend his time in the Minors, meaning he will make a whole lot less money.

What exactly is the genius move here?
    Joking. Tongue to check.

But basically saying a player is mad that the org sent him to AAA after monster spring and then used some lame excuse that he needs to adjust to a league adjusting to him. So player and agent concoct a plan to tank for a month to put pressure on organization whether to call him up anyway. Which would basically say to everyone that they were lying about sending him to AAA.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I didn't realize a few games of not hitting well is 'struggling'

I believe they told him when he's going to get called up. So take this as putting in your two week notice at work. Are you really going to be giving 100% when you know you are moving on in a matter or days?
    If that's the case, I wouldn't hire him in the first place - guess he'll start coasting the year before he becomes a free-agent as well.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If that's the case, I wouldn't hire him in the first place - guess he'll start coasting the year before he becomes a free-agent as well.
    Not even remotely the same scenario but thanks for trying. If a few games is all it takes for him to get into Atlanta's lineup the next day then a few games shouldn't be enough to get him out of it. He's either ready or he's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't think you know what you're talking about here.
    My apologies. The date in which they gain an extra year of control. THe terminology super 2 is incorrect obviously.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Joking. Tongue to check.

But basically saying a player is mad that the org sent him to AAA after monster spring and then used some lame excuse that he needs to adjust to a league adjusting to him. So player and agent concoct a plan to tank for a month to put pressure on organization whether to call him up anyway. Which would basically say to everyone that they were lying about sending him to AAA.
    I follow now.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not even remotely the same scenario but thanks for trying. If a few games is all it takes for him to get into Atlanta's lineup the next day then a few games shouldn't be enough to get him out of it. He's either ready or he's not.
    You're the one that linked it to a "work" scenario. If he's going to give less than 100% and sulk over this at this point, he's never going to be someone I want to count on.

Don't forget, Andruw was such a lazy kid that Bobby should've cut him when he had the chance.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    You're the one that linked it to a "work" scenario. If he's going to give less than 100% and sulk over this at this point, he's never going to be someone I want to count on.

Don't forget, Andruw was such a lazy kid that Bobby should've cut him when he had the chance.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Lol clv ginna clv.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    [/B]
    What's so funny about all this is those of you who consider yourselves so much smarter than everyone here make these two-sided arguments all the time.

"Send him down to gain that extra year of control, but make sure not to rush him."

Both the old and new regimes have said that the player will let them know they're "ready" by their performance. If Acuna wants to force his way into the lineup - tomorrow or in June - he'll do it by hitting. Not by going 2-19. Everyone here is just as aware of how special a player he hopefully turns into as you are. We also understand the financial implications and timelines. As much as it hurts to hear, you guys aren't rocket scientists any more than the rest of us. The only point anyone has made (AA included) that differs from what you guys keep saying is that they want to see him come up and stick for good when he does. We all think he's ready - there's just no reason to plug him into the lineup against tougher Pitchers during a rough stretch. Let him warm up (however long it takes for that to happen), then turn him loose.

Having him come up and possibly struggle for an even longer stretch because he's facing tougher competition and then having to send him back down could be just as detrimental to his development as anything else. Let him get on a roll first, and hopefully he never looks back.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    What's so funny about all this is those of you who consider yourselves so much smarter than everyone here make these two-sided arguments all the time.

"Send him down to gain that extra year of control, but make sure not to rush him."

Both the old and new regimes have said that the player will let them know they're "ready" by their performance. If Acuna wants to force his way into the lineup - tomorrow or in June - he'll do it by hitting. Not by going 2-19. Everyone here is just as aware of how special a player he hopefully turns into as you are. We also understand the financial implications and timelines. As much as it hurts to hear, you guys aren't rocket scientists any more than the rest of us. The only point anyone has made (AA included) that differs from what you guys keep saying is that they want to see him come up and stick for good when he does. We all think he's ready - there's just no reason to plug him into the lineup against tougher Pitchers during a rough stretch. Let him warm up (however long it takes for that to happen), then turn him loose.

Having him come up and possibly struggle for an even longer stretch because he's facing tougher competition and then having to send him back down could be just as detrimental to his development as anything else. Let him get on a roll first, and hopefully he never looks back.
    That's a whole lot of talk for 'i need to see him hit in 3 consecutive games before I want him in Atlanta.' Which is dumb for numerous reasons.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

You are an endless supply of stupidity. It is actually quite amazing.

You tried to suggest 2 statements contradict each other, and they actually support each other.

Not rushing a prospect and gaining a year of control go hand in hand. They quite literally are the same thing...keeping a guy in the minors.

This is why your profession is in the trivial side of realty. I’m guessing something along the lines of appraisals or inspections.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    That's a whole lot of talk for 'i need to see him hit in 3 consecutive games before I want him in Atlanta.' Which is dumb for numerous reasons.
    And the only people who continue to point to the number of games I mentioned (simply pulling a number out of the air) are you and the troll who are constantly looking to goad someone into an argument. EVERYONE else here obviously understood my point. Pick whatever number of games or ABs floats your boat - even the most famous blackjack dealer on this board has made the point that giving Acuna a little more time in AAA wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Why don't you argue with him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    And the only people who continue to point to the number of games I mentioned (simply pulling a number out of the air) are you and the troll who are constantly looking to goad someone into an argument. EVERYONE else here obviously understood my point. Pick whatever number of games or ABs floats your boat - even the most famous blackjack dealer on this board has made the point that giving Acuna a little more time in AAA wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Why don't you argue with him?
    Actually, there is a reason to bring up Acuna quickly. Which is he is better than Tucker.

Once he hits that magical day that gives us the extra year of control, the above consideration should be the controlling one.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Because he's not suggesting to call him up after a handful of ab's where he hits.

To me it's simple. At the end of ST you either thought Acuna was ready or not to be on the big league team. If you do then he should be up as soon as the extra year of service time is gained. What Acuna does in AAA until then or what Tucker does at the MLB level should not effect that.

If you don't think he was ready then you would like to see Acuna play well at AAA for a couple of months and either promote him when it's obvious has has nothing left to do there or the options at MLB are beyond bad.

You can't have it both ways. I take issue with the people that want to see him hit well at AAA for a few games before promoting him. He's already destroyed AAA last year. He destroyed the AFL and ST as well. He's the #1 prospect in baseball and has done nothing but hit everywhere he's been. A rough start to the 2018 isn't going to change my opinion on if he's ready or not. If it wasn't for financial benefit he would already be in Atlanta and I think most people would agree with that.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Barnes (04-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Because he's not suggesting to call him up after a handful of ab's where he hits.

To me it's simple. At the end of ST you either thought Acuna was ready or not to be on the big league team. If you do then he should be up as soon as the extra year of service time is gained. What Acuna does in AAA until then or what Tucker does at the MLB level should not effect that.

If you don't think he was ready then you would like to see Acuna play well at AAA for a couple of months and either promote him when it's obvious has has nothing left to do there or the options at MLB are beyond bad.

You can't have it both ways. I take issue with the people that want to see him hit well at AAA for a few games before promoting him. He's already destroyed AAA last year. He destroyed the AFL and ST as well. He's the #1 prospect in baseball and has done nothing but hit everywhere he's been. A rough start to the 2018 isn't going to change my opinion on if he's ready or not. If it wasn't for financial benefit he would already be in Atlanta and I think most people would agree with that.
    You are arguing with a person who has consistently shown the inability to apply logic to anything.

I suggest not wasting your time doing anything other than mocking him. When enough people jump on board with how dumb he is, he will just go away.

A good place to start is with pointing out how dumb his 2-sided comment was.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

To be honest I still don't think he should be up in Chicago, but it has a lot more to do with a grim forecast than him himself. I think he mainly needs ABs...
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.