User Tag List

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 242

Thread: Acuna- what are everyone's thoughts on when

  1. #141
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    30,592
    Thanks
    3,622
    Thanked 3,568 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was a mistake to hold him down after ST. Good luck signing him to a long term deal now.

  2. #142
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    9,367
    Thanks
    1,008
    Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,593 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am convinced that Acuna is broken. He is mad and trying too hard. It has to be because some random dude on Redit saw it.

    If playing in the minors makes him try to hard, then what is he going to do in the playoffs. Seriously. keep him down until he needs to come up. then he can make his mark..

    And he will sign with who ever pays him the most.
    Coppy

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (04-16-2018)

  4. #143
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,522
    Thanks
    980
    Thanked 4,390 Times in 2,801 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has turned hilarious

  5. #144
    10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,596
    Thanks
    5,148
    Thanked 983 Times in 650 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Was a mistake to hold him down after ST. Good luck signing him to a long term deal now.
    It's impossible to know what Acuna's state of mind is right now.

  6. #145
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,807
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 217 Times in 186 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am convinced that Acuna is broken. He is mad and trying too hard. It has to be because some random dude on Redit saw it.

    If playing in the minors makes him try to hard, then what is he going to do in the playoffs. Seriously. keep him down until he needs to come up. then he can make his mark..

    And he will sign with who ever pays him the most.
    Everyone that has watched him says that he's going too hard right now to try to impress the boss, and doing this is going to change nothing. He's going to continue throwing a fit and pressing for a while.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

  7. #146
    10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,712
    Thanks
    772
    Thanked 911 Times in 628 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    How about not trying to psycho analyze every player? It’s kind of annoying, because I’m fairly certain you know nothing.
    Yup. Did the same with Swanson. It all seems like BS to me.

    If Acuna's psyche is that fragile that he struggles all year, we have a huge problem on our hands. I highly doubt this is the case.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (04-16-2018),jpx7 (04-16-2018)

  9. #147
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,405
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 3,657 Times in 2,199 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm.../acuna_callup/

    He's silently pitching a fit at the moment and not playing seriously at all. This isn't going to fix it and is why I think this becomes a long AAA stint, maybe the entire season.
    You realize you linked to a post written by a guy that also suggested Fried wasnt trying in AA, and did well once promoted to MLB, right?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (04-16-2018)

  11. #148
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,405
    Thanks
    4,334
    Thanked 4,298 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Braves Reddit is a waste of bandwidth.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (04-16-2018)

  13. #149
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,405
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 3,657 Times in 2,199 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acuna dealt with the disappointment of being sent to AAA, a week long layoff before games, and several weather related postponements.

    He is struggling. He will be fine. He will be promoted soon enough.

    This is the same silliness that infected the board last year when Abies “struggled” in AAA to open the year. Folks went so far as to suggest he fell several spots down the Braves prospect lists, and that TD made him expendable in trade.

    Just like there was nothing to worry about with Albies, there is nothing to worry about with Acuna. I said folks were being dumb then, and they are being dumb now.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (04-16-2018),Tapate50 (04-16-2018),TURBO (04-16-2018)

  15. #150
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,807
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 217 Times in 186 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You realize you linked to a post written by a guy that also suggested Fried wasnt trying in AA, and did well once promoted to MLB, right?
    I don't think he "wasn't trying in AA", but I do think he never overcame that back injury that was early. And I've been called crazy for thinking that.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

  16. #151
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,405
    Thanks
    4,334
    Thanked 4,298 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Just wait till after Monday, just wait till after Monday....
    Everyday is like Sunday.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (04-18-2018)

  18. #152
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    5,431
    Thanks
    3,212
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Braves/comm.../acuna_callup/

    He's silently pitching a fit at the moment and not playing seriously at all. This isn't going to fix it and is why I think this becomes a long AAA stint, maybe the entire season.
    Torres, Vlad Jr., Senzel, Robles, and Eloy Jimenez take note - pitching a temper tantrum is bound to get you into the majors before hitting will.
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though. (2017 Draft Thread)

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team. (What's the best we could hope for in 2018?)


    The Blackjack Dealer

  19. #153
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18,965
    Thanks
    1,462
    Thanked 6,900 Times in 4,271 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very impressed by the amateur psychoanalysts around here who are able to discern that "Acuna is silently pitching a fit."
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

    50PoundHead (04-16-2018),clvclv (04-16-2018),jpx7 (04-16-2018),Southcack77 (04-16-2018),Tapate50 (04-16-2018)

  21. #154
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,481
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked 630 Times in 400 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait people seriously, truly believe acuna is struggling in a SSS to begin the season...because he's pitching a fit?

    lord, i thought we were better than that here. that is next level stupid.
    i could see him maybe pressing. but because he's upset? lol. guys....

  22. #155
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,405
    Thanks
    4,334
    Thanked 4,298 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i thought we were better than that here.
    I'm not really sure what would lead you to think that.

  23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (04-16-2018),jpx7 (04-16-2018),nsacpi (04-16-2018),Southcack77 (04-16-2018),Super (04-16-2018),Tapate50 (04-16-2018),thewupk (04-16-2018)

  24. #156
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,296
    Thanks
    3,029
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 2,820 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If he can't handle making that adjustment, he's suddenly Frenchy 2.0 - he's not (IMO), but the best way to turn him into that at this point is turn him into THE talk of MLB, especially by pushing him now.

    He's 20 and we're not likely going anywhere this fall - don't get the cart before the horse. It's beyond hilarious to see so many people who have crucified thethe, myself, and others for wanting to promote Dansby and Albies too soon now screaming about how Acuna HAS TO be promoted now under similar circumstances.

    If you need to get one right, this one is *amn sure to be the one you need to handle correctly - the whole world (not just Braves' fans) is already treating him like he's "the savior".

    (Sure the Yankees are on the verge of promoting Torres, but he's hitting .389/.410/.583/.994 - let Acuna start OPSing .500 for crying out loud.)
    Don't look at me. I've been consistent on the rapid promotion of prospects throughout the entire re-build and remain so today. And it's not just about service-time clocks. Baseball is hard enough without having to learn on-the-job at the big league level. Of all the guys promoted early, Albies was clearly the most prepared, but he had over 1,500 plate appearances in the minor leagues before he was promoted. Acuna is at less than 1,000. I have no idea what the antecedent for his early-season funk might be, but, to me, it just shows he needs more experience before he hits the big stage.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (04-16-2018),jpx7 (04-16-2018)

  26. #157
    Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 458 Times in 279 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If he can't handle making that adjustment, he's suddenly Frenchy 2.0 - he's not (IMO), but the best way to turn him into that at this point is turn him into THE talk of MLB, especially by pushing him now.

    He's 20 and we're not likely going anywhere this fall - don't get the cart before the horse. It's beyond hilarious to see so many people who have crucified thethe, myself, and others for wanting to promote Dansby and Albies too soon now screaming about how Acuna HAS TO be promoted now under similar circumstances.

    If you need to get one right, this one is *amn sure to be the one you need to handle correctly - the whole world (not just Braves' fans) is already treating him like he's "the savior".

    (Sure the Yankees are on the verge of promoting Torres, but he's hitting .389/.410/.583/.994 - let Acuna start OPSing .500 for crying out loud.)
    Its obviously not a similar circumstance. The reasoning behind them wanting to hold guys back was mostly because of service time, a concern that is no longer applicable to Acuna. So the situation is very different and its basically an apples to oranges comparison at this point. Perhaps there are comparisons that could be drawn between him and Dansby because of the lack of minor league experience. Both do have under 1000 plate appearances in the minors between them. So maybe there is a comparison to be made there, but it is still pretty different. Acuna has dominated every single level he has played at. He has struggled for 8 games in horrible circumstances. Like 'scheff pointed out, he is dealing with disappointment, a delayed start to the season, and horrible weather postponements. I don't think there is anything to suggest that he isn't ready for the MLB. We have the extra year and we have a full MiLB season, AFL season, and Spring training telling us that Acuna is ready for the show. I'm sorry, 8 bad games under bad circumstances isn't going to change anyone's mind that he is obviously ready.

  27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

    Garmel (04-16-2018),jpx7 (04-16-2018),nsacpi (04-16-2018),Tapate50 (04-16-2018)

  28. #158
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,296
    Thanks
    3,029
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 2,820 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Its obviously not a similar circumstance. The reasoning behind them wanting to hold guys back was mostly because of service time, a concern that is no longer applicable to Acuna. So the situation is very different and its basically an apples to oranges comparison at this point. Perhaps there are comparisons that could be drawn between him and Dansby because of the lack of minor league experience. Both do have under 1000 plate appearances in the minors between them. So maybe there is a comparison to be made there, but it is still pretty different. Acuna has dominated every single level he has played at. He has struggled for 8 games in horrible circumstances. Like 'scheff pointed out, he is dealing with disappointment, a delayed start to the season, and horrible weather postponements. I don't think there is anything to suggest that he isn't ready for the MLB. We have the extra year and we have a full MiLB season, AFL season, and Spring training telling us that Acuna is ready for the show. I'm sorry, 8 bad games under bad circumstances isn't going to change anyone's mind that he is obviously ready.
    And before anyone throws out Andruw Jones' name, he had over 1,400 minor league plate appearances before coming up. I don't think there is a magic number for minor league plate appearances, but I think it's better to error on the side of caution.

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (04-16-2018),jpx7 (04-16-2018)

  30. #159
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    5,431
    Thanks
    3,212
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Its obviously not a similar circumstance. The reasoning behind them wanting to hold guys back was mostly because of service time, a concern that is no longer applicable to Acuna. So the situation is very different and its basically an apples to oranges comparison at this point. Perhaps there are comparisons that could be drawn between him and Dansby because of the lack of minor league experience. Both do have under 1000 plate appearances in the minors between them. So maybe there is a comparison to be made there, but it is still pretty different. Acuna has dominated every single level he has played at. He has struggled for 8 games in horrible circumstances. Like 'scheff pointed out, he is dealing with disappointment, a delayed start to the season, and horrible weather postponements. I don't think there is anything to suggest that he isn't ready for the MLB. We have the extra year and we have a full MiLB season, AFL season, and Spring training telling us that Acuna is ready for the show. I'm sorry, 8 bad games under bad circumstances isn't going to change anyone's mind that he is obviously ready.
    Which are all bona fide points - none of which does anyone seemingly argue against.

    Because of several/all of those factors, he's not hitting right now. As soon as he starts, you clear the way for him - not before.

    Maybe they'd even consider some sort of timeshare between Markakis and Tucker at that point to continue getting both of them ABs - I think Markakis (and even Tucker with his power) could be a legitimate weapon coming off the bench if he's not traded. Nick handles lefties well, so that also gives you an opportunity to sit Tucker against them as well as having Markakis replace him late defensively (even though it might not be the greatest upgrade there). If Nick starts 2 days a week and Tucker starts 4, using Markakis as your primary pinch-hitter still should provide him enough ABs to stay fairly sharp.
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though. (2017 Draft Thread)

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team. (What's the best we could hope for in 2018?)


    The Blackjack Dealer

  31. #160
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,519
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,072 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point there probably isn’t any real difference between Tucker and Markakis and obviously they don’t complement each other in terms of skill set or platooning. In a vacuum, the move would be to trade Markakis and play Tucker/Bourjos/Adams in a rotation. The problem, however, is no one is going to take Markakis’s contract off our hands and as long as we are semi-contending he’s going to have value for the 2018 squad. The real cost of calling up Acuna now is it removes Tucker from an everyday role where there’s a non-zero chance he could become a cheap, somewhat permanent fixture in LF. In my opinion, that’s a much more important dilemma than getting Acuna an extra 50-100 MLB at bats. The focus should always be towards 2019.

    Ideally, Tucker and Markakis both continue to play well, Markakis is traded to a contending team who is willing to cover at least half of his remaining salary, and Acuna is called up to take over in RF. Hopefully that can all happen before June rolls around.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (04-16-2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •