Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Acuna- what are everyone's thoughts on when

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I hope he is up ASAP. But I agree that if AA was our GM last year he would have split his time at High A and Double A. The era of rushing prospects seems to be over.
    But he's basically only said this in reference to Acuna, when explaining the decision to keep him down to start the year, right?

Has he said anything in a general sense? Because we certainly can't go by anything he's said about Acuna. He had to try to explain why he was being sent down.

Acuna will be in Atlanta next Monday.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But he's basically only said this in reference to Acuna, when explaining the decision to keep him down to start the year, right?

Has he said anything in a general sense? Because we certainly can't go by anything he's said about Acuna. He had to try to explain why he was being sent down.

Acuna will be in Atlanta next Monday.
    I believe he did but I may be mistaken.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    AA absolutely stated he would not have rushed Acuna through the system last year.

Part of that is likely to avoid this exact Bryant-like situation with service time manipulation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    AA absolutely stated he would not have rushed Acuna through the system last year.

Part of that is likely to avoid this exact Bryant-like situation with service time manipulation.
    Well, part of it also could have been in an effort to explain why he was being sent down. 'I wouldn't have rushed him this much' is a way to say that he needs a little more seasoning in the minors and isn't quite ready yet, which is what he also said.

Delaying a player's trek through the minors solely in an effort to have them hit the majors at a later point in the year makes no sense. We'll hold a player back 2 weeks, that's easy. Why hold them back even further?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Acuna with a double. There that should quiet the nervous nellies. I can't believe the weight some people have given to his going hitless in a couple AAA games.

Between what he did in AA and AAA last year and spring training this year, its pretty obvious he will be our starting left fielder in a few days. The only question is whether it will be for the Cubs series or the Phillies series.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-10-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    time to bring him up

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Acuna with a double. There that should quiet the nervous nellies. I can't believe the weight some people have given to his going hitless in a couple AAA games.

Between what he did in AA and AAA last year and spring training this year, its pretty obvious he will be our starting left fielder in a few days. The only question is whether it will be for the Cubs series or the Phillies series.
    Yup. He can probably be ready for the Cubs series if the weather cooperates, but I would wait until they are back home.

Tucker is 2 for his last 14, and 0 for his last 7. It won't be long until folks remember that he's a marginal corner bat, and realize there was never any log jam in the OF despite Tucker having ~20 good PAs to start the season.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-10-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Should have traded tucker for archer while we had our chance.
    Coppy

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (04-10-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-10-2018), Ozzie Swanson (04-10-2018), The Chosen One (04-10-2018), thewupk (04-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    We got a lucky break from Tucker and Flaherty getting off to a hot start. But I wouldn't wait until they cooled off before putting in Acuna and Camargo into left and third.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We got a lucky break from Tucker and Flaherty getting off to a hot start. But I wouldn't wait until they cooled off before putting in Acuna and Camargo into left and third.
    Exactly. The second they are available you call them up and start them

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    Agreed - The sooner the better

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    2-4 today and a BB for Acuna.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ball4life32 View Post
    2-4 today and a BB for Acuna.
    it's time

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

I don't think people were attributing his slow start as the reason for taking extra time before promoting him (I wasn't anyway). It's more about riding a hot hand in Tucker to see what you've got with him. He made several adjustments last season and finally started producing. Then he falls into our laps and carries a scorching hot camp into the season. I personally would like to see him get as many ABs as possible simply to see if he could profile as a Markakis replacement in 2019 - either on his own or as a platoon-mate for D-Pete - which could allow AA to go cheap there as well so he could spend as heavily at 3B as he chooses (assuming he does go big there). If he really is going to try to play on Donaldson/Machado/Harper the other position is going to HAVE to be filled from within, so Tucker, D-Pete, Camargo, or Riley are going to have to be your answer somewhere.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Camargo will come up at the same time Acuna does, or with in a week. Interesting to see that Peanut Butter is being the one most talked about being sent away when Acuna is called up..

Who gets the DFA, option, or see you later sign when Camargo is returned??

I agree that Peanut Butter should be 1 of 2 to be sent away. Lane Adams?? Tucker?? or a reliever-- 8 choices there??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I don't think people were attributing his slow start as the reason for taking extra time before promoting him (I wasn't anyway). It's more about riding a hot hand in Tucker to see what you've got with him. He made several adjustments last season and finally started producing. Then he falls into our laps and carries a scorching hot camp into the season. I personally would like to see him get as many ABs as possible simply to see if he could profile as a Markakis replacement in 2019 - either on his own or as a platoon-mate for D-Pete - which could allow AA to go cheap there as well so he could spend as heavily at 3B as he chooses (assuming he does go big there). If he really is going to try to play on Donaldson/Machado/Harper the other position is going to HAVE to be filled from within, so Tucker, D-Pete, Camargo, or Riley are going to have to be your answer somewhere.
    Tucker 0 for his last 9 I believe

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Considering the forecast in Chicago, his debut should come Monday vs Philadelphia at home. Camargo should be coming at the same time to be honest.

I think he mainly just needs at bats, and a couple reasons for him starting slow are, after the futures game he didn't do much more outside of take BP, and two, being bored.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    It appears Minter has already lost 1-2 mph off the fastball. Something to monitor.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well, part of it also could have been in an effort to explain why he was being sent down. 'I wouldn't have rushed him this much' is a way to say that he needs a little more seasoning in the minors and isn't quite ready yet, which is what he also said.

Delaying a player's trek through the minors solely in an effort to have them hit the majors at a later point in the year makes no sense. We'll hold a player back 2 weeks, that's easy. Why hold them back even further?
    advancing players through levels quickly (in some cases before someone really demonstrates mastery) is a good way of missing some pretty big holes in someone’s game through sample size and lack of league familiarity.

If Swanson had been moved slower maybe he wouldn’t have ever been the worst mlb regular hitter in a season and the Braves woould control him longer.

Just because Acuna had a hot summer hitting pitching that hadn’t seen him much doesn’t guarantee he’s ready for the majors.

And spring training certainly doesn’t.

If he’d moved slower the Braves might have better idea of what his weaknesses might be and would have avoided taking the awkward position in keeping him down.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-11-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Tucker 0 for his last 9 I believe
    And Acuna started 0-14 - your point was about people bailing on him because of a very few ABs, no? Why is a handful from Tucker any different? How many of those balls were hard hit? Several. Just as importantly, how many other players have 0-9 or 0-14 stretches before you choose to bail on them? Is Acuna the ONLY player allowed to go 3 games without a hit? That's an awfully high bar you're setting there. Trout had an 0-11 stretch April 7th through 9th for crying out loud.
    Last edited by clvclv; 04-11-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?