Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Acuna- what are everyone's thoughts on when

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    At this point there probably isn’t any real difference between Tucker and Markakis and obviously they don’t complement each other in terms of skill set or platooning. In a vacuum, the move would be to trade Markakis and play Tucker/Bourjos/Adams in a rotation. The problem, however, is no one is going to take Markakis’s contract off our hands and as long as we are semi-contending he’s going to have value for the 2018 squad. The real cost of calling up Acuna now is it removes Tucker from an everyday role where there’s a non-zero chance he could become a cheap, somewhat permanent fixture in LF. In my opinion, that’s a much more important dilemma than getting Acuna an extra 50-100 MLB at bats. The focus should always be towards 2019.

Ideally, Tucker and Markakis both continue to play well, Markakis is traded to a contending team who is willing to cover at least half of his remaining salary, and Acuna is called up to take over in RF. Hopefully that can all happen before June rolls around.
    The only problem in this scenario is that if Tucker and Markakis are both playing well then the Braves could very well be a WC contender. And as you said if the Braves are intend in that spot I doubt Neck is traded.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-16-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The only problem in this scenario is that if Tucker and Markakis are both playing well then the Braves could very well be a WC contender. And as you said if the Braves are intend in that spot I doubt Neck is traded.
    Good counterpoints. I think what’s most likely is Tucker is relegated to a bench role in favor of Acuna. Unless Markakis starts to really struggle I don’t think it’s very likely he gets benched given his relationship with Snit and that he’s basically playing for a contract this offseason.

What’s unfortunate is that Markakis, Ender and Tucker are all left handed, so it’s not as if there’s a scenario where Acuna could start in CF for Ender against tough lefties.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Good counterpoints. I think what’s most likely is Tucker is relegated to a bench role in favor of Acuna. Unless Markakis starts to really struggle I don’t think it’s very likely he gets benched given his relationship with Snit and that he’s basically playing for a contract this offseason.

What’s unfortunate is that Markakis, Ender and Tucker are all left handed, so it’s not as if there’s a scenario where Acuna could start in CF for Ender against tough lefties.
    Tucker seems like he would be a plus bat bench. Something the Braves haven't had in awhile.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    If the Braves aren't in the WC chase, then I certainly understand trading anyone that isn't in the 2019 plan. But I sort of doubt the market for Markakis is going to be even lukewarm.

He'd be gone already, I think, if the Braves could have found an interested party.

In the end, Tucker may have more of a future in Atlanta, but its not likely to be a tremendous one. So I think they probably will ride the season out with Markakis and let his presence increase the depth as they do their best to win as many games as possible. I do think at some point that is important and I don't think another season collapsing after sell off trades is what anyone really wants or needs at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Tucker seems like he would be a plus bat bench. Something the Braves haven't had in awhile.

My thoughts are evolving as I type on this, but I think trading Markakis probably isn't going to be a good idea. I don't think there is a big return of money or prospects coming out of it and I don't think you want to try and improve your draft stock at this point.

I think having a stable and positive clubhouse and trying to win as much as you can probably is the best thing. And keeping Markakis doesn't send a white flag message to the team (like has happened the last three years) and does deepen the bench if nothing else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    It's odd to see talk about Tucker as if he is a factor in calling up Acuna in any way.

Overall, on a macro level, Acuna is undoubtedly ready for MLB. He will have some struggles, but he is ready, overall.

However, on a micro level, due to the layoff between ST and the start of the AAA season, several postponed games, and a poor stretch at the plate, he is not ready to be called up right this moment.

If the team was a legit contender with a hole on the roster, it would make sense to call Acuna up right now before Tucker and his MAdams-like (and equally flukey) 27% HR/FB rate turns back into a pumpkin (it's already happening). A contender would see Tucker's crash as imminent, and wouldn't wait for it to happen and make a reactionary move. Smart teams know Tucker is just as likely to suck tomorrow as always, and "being hot" has zero predictive power.

The Braves are NOT a contending team, so they can afford to be patient with Acuna and wait for him to string together enough good PAs that he is set up as well as possible for early success at the MLB level. He simply hasn't had the consistent playing time since ST to get everything grooved, so the Braves should wait for that to happen...by the sounds of it, that's exactly what they are doing.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's odd to see talk about Tucker as if he is a factor in calling up Acuna in any way.

Overall, on a macro level, Acuna is undoubtedly ready for MLB. He will have some struggles, but he is ready, overall.

However, on a micro level, due to the layoff between ST and the start of the AAA season, several postponed games, and a poor stretch at the plate, he is not ready to be called up right this moment.

If the team was a legit contender with a hole on the roster, it would make sense to call Acuna up right now before Tucker and his MAdams-like (and equally flukey) 27% HR/FB rate turns back into a pumpkin (it's already happening). A contender would see Tucker's crash as imminent, and wouldn't wait for it to happen and make a reactionary move. Smart teams know Tucker is just as likely to suck tomorrow as always, and "being hot" has zero predictive power.

The Braves are NOT a contending team, so they can afford to be patient with Acuna and wait for him to string together enough good PAs that he is set up as well as possible for early success at the MLB level. He simply hasn't had the consistent playing time since ST to get everything grooved, so the Braves should wait for that to happen...by the sounds of it, that's exactly what they are doing.
    There you go again. Let's wait and see if they are or not. How old were you in '91?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    There you go again. Let's wait and see if they are or not. How old were you in '91?
    Unfortunately, when teams are making decisions on promoting players like Acuna, they can't "wait and see" if they are contenders. They have top make the decision now, not after they "wait and see".

The Braves do not currently project as contenders, which changes the calculus when determining when to promote top prospects.

But you go ahead and "wait and see" all you want.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Unfortunately, when teams are making decisions on promoting players like Acuna, they can't "wait and see" if they are contenders. They have top make the decision now, not after they "wait and see".

The Braves do not currently project as contenders, which changes the calculus when determining when to promote top prospects.

But you go ahead and "wait and see" all you want.
    Still didn't answer my question. Yes or No, were you around in 1991?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Still didn't answer my question. Yes or No, were you around in 1991?
    I was 12 years old, and distinctly remember 1991.

That fact, and the 1991 season, in no way changes the circumstances today.

Were you around for the 100s of other seasons a team that was expected to be non-contenders ended up being non-contenders?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-16-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I was 12 years old, and distinctly remember 1991.

That fact, and the 1991 season, in no way changes the circumstances today.

Were you around for the 100s of other seasons a team that was expected to be non-contenders ended up being non-contenders?
    From 1982 onward thanks to cable. Thank God you weren't in the Braves front office in '89-'90. You would have traded everybody. The two teams are mirror situations. Most of the first wave was pitching years ago, where as this time the first wave is on the offensive side.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    From 1982 onward thanks to cable. Thank God you weren't in the Braves front office in '89-'90. You would have traded everybody. The two teams are mirror situations. Most of the first wave was pitching years ago, where as this time the first wave is on the offensive side.
    Huh? I have suggested trading nobody...

You "wait and see". The Braves FO, and the rest of the baseball world, have projected the Braves to be a non-contender in 2018, and are making moves accordingly.

Since you are so much smarter than everyone else, I recommend putting your money where your mouth is and taking the over on the Braves win total.

Anyways, this is exactly like having a discussion with my 3 year old niece...same intelligence level.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    [QUOTE=Enscheff;479110]Huh? I have suggested trading nobody...

You "wait and see". The Braves FO, and the rest of the baseball world, have projected the Braves to be a non-contender in 2018, and are making moves accordingly.

Since you are so much smarter than everyone else, I recommend putting your money where your mouth is and taking the over on the Braves win total.

Anyways, this is exactly like having a discussion with my 3 year old niece...same intelligence level.[/QUOT

You still have no idea what I am talking about. I am calling you on writing these guys off already. Its not my IQ that is the problem.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    [QUOTE=VirginiaBrave;479113]
    Huh? I have suggested trading nobody...

Anyways, this is exactly like having a discussion with my 3 year old niece...same intelligence level.[/QUOT

You still have no idea what I am talking about. I am calling you on writing these guys off already. Its not my IQ that is the problem.
    Fine, then let's add a bet about season wins.

Either back up your claim with data, or with a bet.

If not, shut up already.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts

Why are you upset that some don't think the braves will be any good this year. Everyone would love to be pleasantly surprised. But that doesn't change the fact that unless players as a whole over perform the braves will lose more than they win.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-16-2018)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I think you’ve confused Enscheff with Horsehide Harry, considering Harry actually wanted/wants to trade everyone valuable

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-16-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Why are you upset that some don't think the braves will be any good this year. Everyone would love to be pleasantly surprised. But that doesn't change the fact that unless players as a whole over perform the braves will lose more than they win.
    I don't think so I think they have a shot at somewhere around 83 wins or so.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    I don't think so I think they have a shot at somewhere around 83 wins or so.
    Then you expect the players to be better than most everybody else.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Then you expect the players to be better than most everybody else.
    "Better" is probably the wrong term here, but several things would need to go right for them to be around .500 when all is said and done.

Glass half-full vs. half-empty argument. Find ANY metric that had the team 7-5 vs. expected playoff contenders (and many pundits' darkhorse in Philadelphia) at this point and you'll have found something. No one can argue the fact that they've outperformed expectations thus far, and they've done so with no Gohara, Soroka, Acuna, and Camargo.

Pretty tough to give someone a hard time for being a little optimistic when they've played like this AND have obvious upgrades on the verge of being added without having to go outside the organization.

Sure, that would be a pleasant surprise as you mention - but it's not exactly like it's out of the question either.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Evad (04-17-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    "Better" is probably the wrong term here, but several things would need to go right for them to be around .500 when all is said and done.

Glass half-full vs. half-empty argument. Find ANY metric that had the team 7-5 vs. expected playoff contenders (and many pundits' darkhorse in Philadelphia) at this point and you'll have found something. No one can argue the fact that they've outperformed expectations thus far, and they've done so with no Gohara, Soroka, Acuna, and Camargo.

Pretty tough to give someone a hard time for being a little optimistic when they've played like this AND have obvious upgrades on the verge of being added without having to go outside the organization.

Sure, that would be a pleasant surprise as you mention - but it's not exactly like it's out of the question either.
    Who's giving who a hard time here? Seems VirginiaBrave was giving Enscheff a hard time for being realistic which is a reasonable outlook to have.