Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MINORS FINAL 4/10/18: What's With these Morning Games?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You also wrote the following: "The pre-AA Braves were pretty well known to put more weight on a single uptick in stuff from pitchers. If they saw Allard hit mid-90s even once, it’s no surprise they were all in on him."

Perhaps I misread, but that certainly seems to imply that the Braves saw a random mid-90s fastball, assumed that's what he threw, and jumped to draft him before his talent warranted it.

But pretty much everyone agreed at the time that his talent did warrant it. That's all I'm saying.
    I mean, I won’t dispute that Enscheff often features, shall we say, deficits in the presentation of his (mostly very valuable) points. But he literally finished off that Allard post saying he “think[s] it was a risk worth taking in that portion of that particular draft” ...
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-10-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Pretty typical for Allard.

I don't think it will play well at the MLB level.
    Is it just me, or does it look like Allard isn't using his body ideally to generate velocity in that video. His mechanics seem half-a**ed or something. Maybe there is more velo in the tank and he just needs some mechanical adjustments to unlock it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Is it just me, or does it look like Allard isn't using his body ideally to generate velocity in that video. His mechanics seem half-a**ed or something. Maybe there is more velo in the tank and he just needs some mechanical adjustments to unlock it.
    No idea. I topped out at 82 mph off the mound in HS, and never threw a single pitch in college (not even in practice). I know almost zero about pitching mechanics other than to look for hip/shoulder rotation separation, avoiding head tilt, and not throwing across your body.

It would be nice to figure out whatever the Yankees do to unlock hidden velocity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No idea. I topped out at 82 mph off the mound in HS, and never threw a single pitch in college (not even in practice). I know almost zero about pitching mechanics other than to look for hip/shoulder rotation separation, avoiding head tilt, and not throwing across your body.

It would be nice to figure out whatever the Yankees do to unlock hidden velocity.
    I remember you posted a blurb on Tate before. Are there more instances of the Yankees succeeding with velocity increases for their pitchers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (04-11-2018), Garmel (04-10-2018), JohnAdcox (04-10-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-10-2018), thewupk (04-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts

I don’t follow velocity changes as much as you, but hasn’t there been a narrative that Folty has unlocked some velocity this season? Perhaps this is something that’s now being emphasized with the new regime.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Not every pitcher will pan out, have always said Allard is trade bait or wont pan out.

Between Newk, Folty, Gohara at MLB level, and Soroka, Wright, Wentz, Anderson, Wiegel etc down on the farm, cupboard aint bare.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Wilson picking up where he left off last year...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don’t follow velocity changes as much as you, but hasn’t there been a narrative that Folty has unlocked some velocity this season? Perhaps this is something that’s now being emphasized with the new regime.
    When I was digging around for BP conversion candidates this last off season, I looked at average fastball velocity vs maximum fastball velocity in an attempt to identify failed SPs that would potentially see large increases in velocity if moved to the BP.

One thing that struck me was how large that gap was for Braves SPs vs almost every other pitcher I looked at. It was almost like the Braves philosophy was simply “throw slower to gain control”, except it didn’t work and the Braves still had terrible walk rates.

Maybe AA came in and scrapped that terrible idea. I’d have to dig into fastball velocities again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Yes, the 2 comments above mine were discussing velocity explicitly.

The Braves saw the mid-90s, and they became the first team who decided that made him worth the risk because they tend(ed) to over value sudden upticks in stuff.

This is pretty straight forward logic...right? Maybe someone else can explain it differently because it's clear you are on one of your "disagree with everything enscheff writes because I'm desperate to prove him wrong about any little thing" kicks again, even though your comments aren't even contrary to mine.
    You played both sides of this one .

You wanted to throw shade at the Braves, but I think you chose the wrong shade.

the reason Allard was perceived as a top 5-10 prospect is that his velocity increased in his last showcase season.

The Braves were really demonstrating their better than average tolerance for taking injured pitchers, I think, rather than their readiness to accept one or two recent results as indicative of the true ceiling.

Personally I find embracing injured pitchers to not be a particularly fun inefficiency.

Velocity increase followed by injury seems now like a warning sign. At the time it seemed like a great pick.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Not every pitcher will pan out, have always said Allard is trade bait or wont pan out.

Between Newk, Folty, Gohara at MLB level, and Soroka, Wright, Wentz, Anderson, Wiegel etc down on the farm, cupboard aint bare.
    I was always cool with including Allard in any of those big proposed trades for established pitchers.

Granted it’s one start. SSS is a fluid concept.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Pitching coach is the same?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Wilson picking up where he left off last year...
    I know expecting any one pitching prospect to work out is playing bad odds, but I can't help it. I just expect Wilson to work out.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-10-2018), Tapate50 (04-11-2018)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Bryse Wilson: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-10-2018), jpx7 (04-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Allard was a high risk, high reward pick. Without the injury risk he wouldn't have been available when we picked up. However, his ceiling when we drafted him was Cole Hamels. With that ceiling it was worth the injury risk. But he really hasn't ever seemed to fully get past that back injury. It happens. There's still hope he can develop but if he doesn't, I'm still not terribly upset with the pick.

I'd much rather pick a guy with a chance to become something than to pick a one pitch college pitcher like Hursh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The swing on Allard has been crazy. Dude has done nothing but perform. He let up some runs in his first start at AAA at age 20. Big whoop
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The swing on Allard has been crazy. Dude has done nothing but perform. He let up some runs in his first start at AAA at age 20. Big whoop
    What would you have said if he went 5 scoreless and struck out 6
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Have you not read the scouting report on him? Or is this a guy where you don't trust the scouts and only go by his statline?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    What would you have said if he went 5 scoreless and struck out 6
    “Look at this raging boner”
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts