Thread: GDT: Braves @ gNats 4/10

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Agree

We are not getting a premium dude. Machado is not leaving unless he can play ss.

Donaldson. Might not be premium given his age and arm issues.

Braves are going to make one gigantic trade where I think we overpay. We will pick up a catcher. We will sign a lower free agent like Adam jones. We will try to extend Albies Acuna and Swanson.
    You have it nailed, I think. I just hope that gigantic trade isn't for a SP. I also hope they aim higher than Adam Jones for LF.

The concerns with Donaldson's arm are legit. The plan for signing him almost certainly involves moving to 1B when Freeman's contract is over, but if he can't play 3B for a few more years that plan is out the window.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm just not too sure what the future holds. Early in the season we are trending strong in attendance. Let's see where it us if the braves ate in the WC hunt come sept. Ownership might see an opportunity to have attendance in the 3m range with a superstar like harper and a 95 win team.
    Umm, I've shown the numbers that the Braves are seeing a decline in attendance early in the season.

How's the weather in the make believe land you live in haha?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm just not too sure what the future holds. Early in the season we are trending strong in attendance. Let's see where it us if the braves ate in the WC hunt come sept. Ownership might see an opportunity to have attendance in the 3m range with a superstar like harper and a 95 win team.
    If ownership thinks any personnel decision can get them to 3,000,000 in regular season attendance, either they should've built a bigger stadium or they should fire their people in charge of basic math. Surely a successful corporation like Liberty wouldn't be so stupid as to base the Braves' budgets on an unachievable revenue figure.

Getting to the magic 3MM number would require an average of 90% capacity over 81 games. That's probably not happening even if we somehow end up with a Harper/Trout/Acuña outfield and a Kershaw/Bumgardner/Sale/Price rotation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Umm, I've shown the numbers that the Braves are seeing a decline in attendance early in the season.

How's the weather in the make believe land you live in haha?

Braves have drawn 194,778 in their first six home games of 2018 as opposed to 187,896 in 2017. That's better than a 3% increase.

Each season had a date on Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Braves had a Sunday as the sixth game in 2017 and a Thursday opener in 2018.

Friday 41149
    Saturday 41149
    Sunday 37147
    Monday 24516
    Tuesday 21834
    Wednesday 22101

Thursday 40,208
    Friday 35,123
    Saturday 37,777
    Monday 25,054
    Tuesday 26,782
    Wednesday 29,834

Braves are outdrawing 2017 overall through six whole games. The sellouts in the first two games at Suntrust keep it as close it is.

Braves winning the first series likely helped propel attendance in the second series past what it had been the year before. Their ability to continue winning will probably be the biggest factor for the park attendance going forward.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Glad to see we have the day off tomorrow....our bullpen is going to be gassed
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    If ownership thinks any personnel decision can get them to 3,000,000 in regular season attendance, either they should've built a bigger stadium or they should fire their people in charge of basic math. Surely a successful corporation like Liberty wouldn't be so stupid as to base the Braves' budgets on an unachievable revenue figure.

Getting to the magic 3MM number would require an average of 90% capacity over 81 games. That's probably not happening even if we somehow end up with a Harper/Trout/Acuña outfield and a Kershaw/Bumgardner/Sale/Price rotation.
    the only way 3M is conceivable is if the Braves are winning big with really interesting teams and that would probably require some big names one way or the other.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Braves have drawn 194,778 in their first six home games of 2018 as opposed to 187,896 in 2017. That's better than a 3% increase.

Each season had a date on Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Braves had a Sunday as the sixth game in 2017 and a Thursday opener in 2018.

Friday 41149
    Saturday 41149
    Sunday 37147
    Monday 24516
    Tuesday 21834
    Wednesday 22101

Thursday 40,208
    Friday 35,123
    Saturday 37,777
    Monday 25,054
    Tuesday 26,782
    Wednesday 29,834

Braves are outdrawing 2017 overall through six whole games. The sellouts in the first two games at Suntrust keep it as close it is.

Braves winning the first series likely helped propel attendance in the second series past what it had been the year before. Their ability to continue winning will probably be the biggest factor for the park attendance going forward.
    Now list the teams they were playing, and give an opinion on which team draws better, SD or the Nats. Also remind us that this year they were home on actual opening day.

Would you like to add a bet to the bet thread about attendance in 2018 vs 2017?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Now list the teams they were playing, and give an opinion on which team draws better, SD or the Nats. Also remind us that this year they were home on actual opening day.

Would you like to add a bet to the bet thread about attendance in 2018 vs 2017?
    Sheffy,

The Braves have outdrawn 2017 overall. In fact beyond the two park opening sell outs, the Braves have outdrawn 2017 in Games 3, 4, 5, and 6. One could say that maybe the first two games in a brand new park selling out might be a special circumstance, but I'll just take the data as I find it rather than try and weasel out of it.

In any event, that's the only reason for my post. I was correcting an error not making a prediction. Do we have to have a bet every time you are wrong to establish that somehow you are actually right?

I don't particularly see much reason for a bet at this point, because I don't know whether the Braves will continue to win series and build excitement for the team. I think the Braves will continue to outdraw 2017 so long as they are above .500 and in the playoff race, but I also don't consider 6 games to be a particularly relevant sample size. But I mean if you really want to, I guess we can.

I love your passion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Sheffy,

The Braves have outdrawn 2017 overall. In fact beyond the two park opening sell outs, the Braves have outdrawn 2017 in Games 3, 4, 5, and 6. One could say that maybe the first two games in a brand new park selling out might be a special circumstance, but I'll just take the data as I find it rather than try and weasel out of it.

In any event, that's the only reason for my post. I was correcting an error not making a prediction. Do we have to have a bet every time you are wrong to establish that somehow you are actually right?

I don't particularly see much reason for a bet at this point, because I don't know whether the Braves will continue to win series and build excitement for the team. I think the Braves will continue to outdraw 2017 so long as they are above .500 and in the playoff race, but I also don't consider 6 games to be a particularly relevant sample size. But I mean if you really want to, I guess we can.

I love your passion.
    You posted data trying to pass it off as an apples to apples comparison. An opening week against the Nats during the opening week of MLB is not the same as an opening week against SD in the 3rd week of the season.

I'm sorry if you can't understand how that leads to projecting lower attendance overall in 2018, and I'm sorry you think that means I'm trying to weasel out of anything.

If you think attendance will increase in 2018, then let's make a bet to send some cash to charity. It is very cut and dry...no way to weasel out of anything.

If you don't, then why did you even bother to disagree using data that is intentionally stripped of context?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    You posted data trying to pass it off as an apples to apples comparison. An opening week against the Nats during the opening week of MLB is not the same as an opening week against SD in the 3rd week of the season.

I'm sorry if you can't understand how that leads to projecting lower attendance overall in 2018, and I'm sorry you think that means I'm trying to weasel out of anything.

If you think attendance will increase in 2018, then let's make a bet to send some cash to charity. It is very cut and dry...no way to weasel out of anything.

If you don't, then why did you even bother to disagree using data that is intentionally stripped of context?
    Intentionally stripped of context? Too funny.

You had the attendance in precipitous decline based on the first two games of the season. Come on, man.

Now you want me to bet on something that has nothing to do with my comment. I guess if you really want to we can.

I figure it’s just a bet the Braves have a better first half than last year which seems reasonable enough. Not something I’d really have gone out of my way to wager on but fine.