Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A's Puk Has Tommy John; Rockies' Pint to follow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Big money signings historically tended to bomb for Atlanta, but they did as good a job of finding guys internationally as most.
    The obvious strategy is to go for a bunch of guys who can be signed for about 300K. Makes sense when you are signing 16 year olds...most with a lot of physical development ahead of them.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The obvious strategy is to go for a bunch of guys who can be signed for about 300K.
    Goodness. We are in luck then!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Goodness. We are in luck then!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what we do this signing period given we have no choice but to follow that strategy.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'm looking forward to seeing what we do this signing period given we have no choice but to follow that strategy.
    Seeing whether they try to sign a volume of players will be interesting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Kiley has suggested multiple times the most efficient strategy might be to sign every single athlete in Latin America, fill out 6 rookie league teams, and let the athletes develop into baseball players.

It would cost something like $5M per rookie league team, and if even one guy hits the organization hit the jackpot.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-12-2018), UNCBlue012 (04-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Kiley has suggested multiple times the most efficient strategy might be to sign every single athlete in Latin America, fill out 6 rookie league teams, and let the athletes develop into baseball players.

It would cost something like $5M per rookie league team, and if even one guy hits the organization hit the jackpot.
    soccer gets the best Latin American athletes...but sure why not sign the ones who can't or won't play soccer

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    soccer gets the best Latin American athletes...but sure why not sign the ones who can't or won't play soccer
    I think that's the idea...$10k and full time accommodations probably gets many of the elite soccer players onto the baseball diamond. Have some notable Latin American alumni from the MLB club hang around the facilities and it could be a big draw.

It's certainly exploitative, but it's probably an efficient way to accumulate talent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    I'm with those advocating BPA in the draft (tempered by bonus considerations of course). Considering how long it takes players (even most college players) to reach the big leagues and the ridiculously high attrition rates among baseball draftees, passing a player because of your depth at a position or because you want to produce a lot of high quality arms just doesn't work. Fill your system with as much talent as you can. Who will pan out and who wont is almost impossible to determine. If you end up with multiple excellent prospects at a single position, that's what trades are for.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I would like to have an exact accounting of pitchers the Braves have drafted after having TJ surgery as amateurs. Alec Wood and Minter are two that come to mind right away, and I know they have made a thing about signing other team's onetime top pitchers who have falllen to TJ surgery. But I know there are others. And I remember that DeVall opted to quit rather than have the procedure.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Man I wish Senzel has been there at 3. We'd be getting ready to promote him and Acuna together. Instead we're stuck hoping Anderson figures out how to hit the strikezone.
    So...sure would love to have him, but we have Riley who is a year younger and is out performing him so far. Yes Senzel is a better prospect, but it’s not like we do not have anyone in view. I think Riley will be fine, and no matter how many people do not like him...all he does each year is get better.