Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We dodged a bullet with Maitan

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Maitan may be fine in the end, a lot of teams aren't like the Braves in that they aggressively push 18 year old kids to full season ball no matter what...the book hasn't closed quite yet.
    While that's true, Maitan was already physically advanced for his age. Make no mistake the J2 class gained on him as they got older and he got....bigger. I hope he turns out around, but even as a Brave I thought Livan Soto looked better in every aspect of his game. The Angels can't stop raving about him. I saw Maitan once luckily enough. He wasn't terrible, but for the crap the Braves endured, I want to find Coppy personally! Edward Salcedo was all I could think about.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-13-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    He looks like he’s going to be a bad body left fielder or 1B, but that doesn’t mean he can’t still rake.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I absolutely love reading this Hart/Coppy bashing now that they are gone.

It would be hilarious to dig up all the posts where folks around here constantly defended them as a powerhouse FO brain trust who knew more than we did because "they get paid to do this" haha.

If work is slow this afternoon I think I'll do some work on the site's search function.
    As one of those I'm the first you'll look for, the funniest (and saddest) thing about this is that you'll actually spend time doing this - and getting paid absolutely nothing to do so.

You seriously need a life.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    You guys know that Miguel Sano didn't play full-season A ball until his third season, don't you? I have no idea if Maitan is going to be any good, but I am going to reserve judgment. Braves should have had him split 2017 between the Dominican Summer League team and the Gulf Coast League team. This rushing of prospects can be pretty ridiculous.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (04-14-2018), jpx7 (04-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    From the looks of things I don’t think Maitan is dodging much of anything these days.
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-14-2018)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He looks like he’s going to be a bad body left fielder or 1B, but that doesn’t mean he can’t still rake.
    Is it me or does his swing look slow? He struggled badly in Danville..I’m really not upset losing him anymore.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I think history could show that only Yunior Severino will be the only realized prospect lost in the deal. BTW, the last I saw, Contreras (the pitcher) had not signed with a new team. Could the Braves actually keep/reclaim him?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I think history could show that only Yunior Severino will be the only realized prospect lost in the deal. BTW, the last I saw, Contreras (the pitcher) had not signed with a new team. Could the Braves actually keep/reclaim him?
    If very few of these guys pan out, it will show how poor the ranking system for international prospects is. Every one of the guys the Braves signed was on the Top 50 international prospects lists from the various services and the only guy who I believe wasn't on all of the lists was Contreras (and his control numbers were terrible in his first season). It makes me wonder if agents/handlers aren't sending dollars under-the-table to the various prospect ranking services. I kid of course, but in this era of "there must be a conspiracy theory," I couldn't help but wonder. I haven't scoured all the full-season rosters, but did any of our 2016 J2 signings start with a full-season team?

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    His bat speed looks very slow. Not sure what all the hype was about. Kind of like Hector Olivier

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan View Post
    His bat speed looks very slow. Not sure what all the hype was about. Kind of like Hector Olivier
    Coppy had a type

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Coppy had a type
    I doubt coppy saw him much at all.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I doubt coppy saw him much at all.
    I bet he saw plenty of him when they hid him in that hotel.