Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ryan flaherty career stats:
    1318 PA
    .221/.291/.358
    foWAR = -31.5
    fdWAR = 7.2
    fWAR = 2.0

So you and southcack think RF is better than camargo? I disagree
    You must have read something that was deleted before I read their posts. I saw "not a game-changer" and the like - don't see that they said Flaherty was "better than Camargo".

Flaherty's playing pretty well right now and is on a hot stretch like Tucker - you just ride those out unless Camargo or Acuna's even hotter, then make the switch.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Evad (04-16-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You must have read something that was deleted before I read their posts. I saw "not a game-changer" and the like - don't see that they said Flaherty was "better than Camargo".

Flaherty's playing pretty well right now and is on a hot stretch like Tucker - you just ride those out unless Camargo or Acuna's even hotter, then make the switch.
    I just don't think RF will continue this hot hitting. Over the course of a full season, camargo will be the more productive player

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I just don't think RF will continue this hot hitting. Over the course of a full season, camargo will be the more productive player
    I don't think anybody disagrees with that, but their posts didn't say that Camargo wouldn't be more productive in the long-run either.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Ryan flaherty career stats:
    1318 PA
    .221/.291/.358
    foWAR = -31.5
    fdWAR = 7.2
    fWAR = 2.0

So you and southcack think RF is better than camargo? I disagree

Right now Ryan Flaherty has a 153 wRC+. What I said was that it is unlikely that Camargo is going to provide something that Flaherty hasn't (as a Braves so far in a small sample).

the suggestion has been that his call-up was going to make the Braves even better and more explosive.

Whether he gets called up or not, the Braves production at 3B is heading downward from here.

I see Camargo as a somewhat marginal MLB starter with maybe a Prado ceiling. I wouldn't include him in a list of "and just wait till this guy comes up." But he might be better than Flaherty. Probably is.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I think I gotta go with thethe on this one. Young guys get better and typically have a year when the promise turns into who they really are. The trend the past two years with Camargo has turned upward pretty significantly. Some of you believe it is a hot streak and will shortly be followed by regression, while others think he has turned a corner and will be a better than average player going forward. I don't know which is the case, but I am an optimist, and sure look forward to finding out.

We know what Flaherty is. We don't yet know what Camargo is. Time to find out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-16-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Right now Ryan Flaherty has a 153 wRC+. What I said was that it is unlikely that Camargo is going to provide something that Flaherty hasn't (as a Braves so far in a small sample).

the suggestion has been that his call-up was going to make the Braves even better and more explosive.

Whether he gets called up or not, the Braves production at 3B is heading downward from here.

I see Camargo as a somewhat marginal MLB starter with maybe a Prado ceiling. I wouldn't include him in a list of "and just wait till this guy comes up." But he might be better than Flaherty. Probably is.
    but the point is RF is highly likely (guaranteed) to be garbage for ROS, while camargo has a decent shot of actually playing well. camargo won't be an improvement over what RF has already provided, but he'll be an improvement over what he's going to provide ROS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I agree with thethe that I would rather find out what Camargo can be instead of being reminded of what Flaherty has been.

The only hesitation I have is that we have seen AA find gold in the bargain bin several times in Toronto, and his discount pickups have performed pretty well here to date as well. Maybe he is onto something similar to the well known launch angle changes that is allowing him to successfully identify break out candidates. I didn't expect Flaherty, Tucker, or Sanchez to add as much in the entire season as they have added in the first couple of weeks.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I think I gotta go with thethe on this one. Young guys get better and typically have a year when the promise turns into who they really are. The trend the past two years with Camargo has turned upward pretty significantly. Some of you believe it is a hot streak and will shortly be followed by regression, while others think he has turned a corner and will be a better than average player going forward. I don't know which is the case, but I am an optimist, and sure look forward to finding out.

We know what Flaherty is. We don't yet know what Camargo is. Time to find out.
    The minute Flaherty's hot streak ends.

Same with Acuna/Tucker/Markakis.

There's absolutely no harm in playing those guys while they're hot - we simply don't know that winning an extra couple of games in April (while they are) won't positively affect the team's win total at the end of the season.
    Last edited by clvclv; 04-16-2018 at 02:42 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    but the point is RF is highly likely (guaranteed) to be garbage for ROS, while camargo has a decent shot of actually playing well. camargo won't be an improvement over what RF has already provided, but he'll be an improvement over what he's going to provide ROS.
    That's your point and I mostly agree with you. And with the point that seeing what you have in Camargo is probably more important than seeing if Ryan Flaherty is suddenly good.

The particular sentiment I was reacting to was "wait till camargo comes up, we're going to be really awesome."

Grumble, grumble. Get of my lawn.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 04-16-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Why do I or my autocorrect always put an LY on the word particular?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-16-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The minute Flaherty's hot streak ends.

Same with Acuna/Tucker/Markakis.

There's absolutely no harm in playing those guys while they're hot - we simply don't know that winning an extra couple of games in April (while they are) won't positively affect the team's win total at the end of the season.
    Please enlighten us how to determine when a hot streak ends lol. Share with the rest of the baseball world how to predict hot/cold streaks. It would be a hugely valuable contribution.

This whole "play them while they are hot" schtick is classic 90s thinking.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Please enlighten us how to determine when a hot streak ends lol. Share with the rest of the baseball world how to predict hot/cold streaks. It would be a hugely valuable contribution.

This whole "play them while they are hot" schtick is classic 90s thinking.
    I thought YOU were the genius that could do that - you mean you can't? Have you checked with FanGraphs yet???

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    I thought YOU were the genius that could do that - you mean you can't? Have you checked with FanGraphs yet???
    question. Is Tucker currently in a hot streak?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    his next hit he will technically be 1 for his last 1.. that is a streak that isn't cold.
    Coppy

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-17-2018), thewupk (04-16-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I’m not the one saying moronic things about hot hands.

It’s pretty well known by all but the most dense that those things can’t be predicted, so it comes as no surprise that you think it can.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Uhhhh Flaherty isn't exactly on a hot streak now, and most of his season came from one game in the laugher vs Philly earlier...
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Answer.

Hotter than Acuna? Sure.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Evad (04-17-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I’m not the one saying moronic things about hot hands.

It’s pretty well known by all but the most dense that those things can’t be predicted, so it comes as no surprise that you think it can.
    Find where I "predicted" it and you get a cookie. We know you have the time and are dying to.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Answer.

Hotter than Acuna? Sure.
    Tucker has been legit awful lately.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Tucker has been legit awful lately.
    He's certainly not "hot" by any stretch, in his last 9 games he's 3-22 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 BB and 7 Ks. Over the same stretch, Acuna's 5-36 a 2B, 5 RBIs, 5 BBs, and 14 Ks.

Again, what's the rush? When Acuna warms up - even slightly - he plays. Find one person that has said anything to the contrary.

If the team's going to struggle to win 75 games like the numbers-folks predict, what difference does a handful of games make? Let him get his feet under him, and hopefully he becomes a difference-maker the minute you plug him into the lineup.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Evad (04-17-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    He's certainly not "hot" by any stretch, in his last 9 games he's 3-22 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 BB and 7 Ks. Over the same stretch, Acuna's 5-36 a 2B, 5 RBIs, 5 BBs, and 14 Ks.

Again, what's the rush? When Acuna warms up - even slightly - he plays. Find one person that has said anything to the contrary.

If the team's going to struggle to win 75 games like the numbers-folks predict, what difference does a handful of games make? Let him get his feet under him, and hopefully he becomes a difference-maker the minute you plug him into the lineup.
    There's no rush.

But Acuna is far more likely to be better than Tucker going forward