Thread: A question no one has ever answered for me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

A question no one has ever answered for me

I have come to realize that this forum looks at politics way more than I do. I think a lot of the views on this forum are very idealistic though, not that there is anything wrong with that. I live in a part of the country where we have 2 and 3 generations of lifelong welfare recipients are common. I see perfectly capable workers sitting in their yard all day. I was getting a police report at the station when I overheard a woman tell what I can only assume is her daughter or son, to cancel her application at the local fast food place because it would affect her monthly check. I see people taking advantage of the system daily, and can't help but think expanding benefits is just more reason for people not to get to work. Before anyone starts yelling racist, this is an issue beyond race, because I see all types pulling the same program. But the problem is that it doesn't stop, they teach their own children the ins and outs of the system and it perpetuates itself.

My question is : How long til we have more people on the government dime then off it? I was always told growing up "If you got more people riding in the cart than pulling it, you won't get very far". Taxing productivity seems pretty counter productive to me. And no, I don't have a solution. If you get a firm population on the government dime, how long til they hold the country hostage in an polarizing election against someone willing to cut benefits?
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (10-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Would you rather get paid 400 dollars a week to do nothing or 450-500 dollars a week to work 40 hours?

The government makes the decision pretty easy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I'm of the opinion that welfare is theft and should be abolished. It clearly doesn't work.

If you look at our "poverty lines", the number of Americans going under expands yearly.

More Americans go on food stamps every year, the number will likely never reverse

Unemployment benefits continue to rise- now nearly two years. TWO YEARS!!

I believe you if you remove the safety net, the laziness and lack of production decreases.

I've always been a big fan of Switzerland. But I saw the other day that they are voting on a bill that will guarantee every adult (not just working adults) a monthly salary of $2,800. I sincerely hope it passes so that their entire economy will collapse and nobody from the west will get any ideas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that welfare is theft and should be abolished. It clearly doesn't work.

If you look at our "poverty lines", the number of Americans going under expands yearly.

More Americans go on food stamps every year, the number will likely never reverse

Unemployment benefits continue to rise- now nearly two years. TWO YEARS!!

I believe you if you remove the safety net, the laziness and lack of production decreases.

I've always been a big fan of Switzerland. But I saw the other day that they are voting on a bill that will guarantee every adult (not just working adults) a monthly salary of $2,800. I sincerely hope it passes so that their entire economy will collapse and nobody from the west will get any ideas.
    I don't think its smart to use traditional logic with a country like Switzerland. Their countries demographics is homogeneous that results from their economic/social policies will not translate to other diverse nations.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    4/1% of the population is on welfare (not including food stamps or unemployment compensation), so I think we have a ways to go before the Bastille is stormed.

Link: http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

sturg, inequality in the country is at an all-time high, so yeah, I guess the lines of the poor are getting longer. Middle class incomes have been stagnant since the 1970s and the rich have gotten richer (and tax rates have been static or declining--especially post-Bush tax cuts--since that time).

Inequality (2013 article): http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3629

Taxes (2010 article): http://wallstreetpit.com/22914-avera...t-40-year-low/

For all the complaining you do (and it is generally polite complaining), it looks like your side is winning. Taxes are low internationally and rich people keep getting richer. What's not to like?

PS--Speed limits are theft as well, because the more time I have to spend driving, the less time I could be working and making money.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    4/1% of the population is on welfare (not including food stamps or unemployment compensation), so I think we have a ways to go before the Bastille is stormed.

Link: http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

sturg, inequality in the country is at an all-time high, so yeah, I guess the lines of the poor are getting longer. Middle class incomes have been stagnant since the 1970s and the rich have gotten richer (and tax rates have been static or declining--especially post-Bush tax cuts--since that time).

Inequality (2013 article): http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3629

Taxes (2010 article): http://wallstreetpit.com/22914-avera...t-40-year-low/

For all the complaining you do (and it is generally polite complaining), it looks like your side is winning. Taxes are low internationally and rich people keep getting richer. What's not to like?

PS--Speed limits are theft as well, because the more time I have to spend driving, the less time I could be working and making money.
    I'll check out those articles when I have some more time. But I am not thrilled with the inequality in this country. The rich are getting richer because the Federal Reserve is pumping trillions of play money into banks - and that is distributed directly to the top. As I'm sure you know, I'm very anti-fed so I'm not happy with the bubble it has created.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...in-six-charts/

Welfare is just one part of the equation. How many people would vote for a candidate that was willing to cut some of their benefits, ala directly affect them negatively if it was in the best interest of our country long term? I wager not many.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    A good friend of mine is on food stamps. She can't pay rent at the moment but gets a ton for food that she pays her rent by buying all the food for her, her child and my roommate. Despite the freebies, she finished college and now has just gotten a job doing what she wants to do. She has no desire to stay in her current economic status and is working to move up.

I believe part of that desire comes not only from having a kid but also she sees around her two successful young professionals working hard and getting what they want in life. I have two apartments ( she's staying in one of them), got promoted and am on the way up the corporate ladder. My roommate has gotten multiple promotions at work and is constantly trying to get the next job he can. I believe sometimes all someone needs is a positive example and attitude.

She will not be reliant on the government for much longer and couldn't be happier about it. I believe some safety nets in society should be there provided you are trying to improve yourself. Even requiring 10 hours a week of community service would be a step in the right direction. Make there be an incentive to get better. The economic reality sucks too much at this time to remove safety nets especially when the only ones that are having their income increase is those at the top.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CK86 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-10-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    A good friend of mine is on food stamps. She can't pay rent at the moment but gets a ton for food that she pays her rent by buying all the food for her, her child and my roommate. Despite the freebies, she finished college and now has just gotten a job doing what she wants to do. She has no desire to stay in her current economic status and is working to move up.

I believe part of that desire comes not only from having a kid but also she sees around her two successful young professionals working hard and getting what they want in life. I have two apartments ( she's staying in one of them), got promoted and am on the way up the corporate ladder. My roommate has gotten multiple promotions at work and is constantly trying to get the next job he can. I believe sometimes all someone needs is a positive example and attitude.

She will not be reliant on the government for much longer and couldn't be happier about it. I believe some safety nets in society should be there provided you are trying to improve yourself. Even requiring 10 hours a week of community service would be a step in the right direction. Make there be an incentive to get better. The economic reality sucks too much at this time to remove safety nets especially when the only ones that are having their income increase is those at the top.
    I just think there is this myth that people enjoy being poor and sponging off the government.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (10-10-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I just think there is this myth that people enjoy being poor and sponging off the government.
    I see that "myth" every single day. Come down, ill be glad to show you around.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I believe part of that desire comes not only from having a kid but also she sees around her two successful young professionals working hard and getting what they want in life. I have two apartments ( she's staying in one of them), got promoted and am on the way up the corporate ladder. My roommate has gotten multiple promotions at work and is constantly trying to get the next job he can. I believe sometimes all someone needs is a positive example and attitude. "
    ////

I'd like to add opportunity. There are whole swaths of this nation where you can have the positive examples aplenty and come out of college with the right attitude ( I think all but everyone comes out of college with the right attitude) but unless there is somewhere to ply your wares you are stuck. I too see a problem where someone can make as much on welfare as they do working at McDonalds / Wal-Mart.
    McDonalds will pay as little as the "law will allow" - as did the factories of the 1890's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Some become dependent on it and some don't. I don't really think that should be difficult to admit. It's not that those who become dependent on it enjoy it. It's more like for some people it's easier and safer than trying to do something else. I know people who are dependent on it, who could work but choose not to. I'm not a pscyhologist, so I don't want to get into the psychology, but it is what it is. To ignore it is irresponsible. At the same time I know there are those who get money, are embarrassed to get that money and want to work. We can go through all these individual stories, but it doesn't really prove anything.

What we want is for those who really need the help to get the help. It's in the best interest of people who want those to get that help to make sure the system doesn't become flooded with those who take advantage of the system.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I live in So Georgia temporarily a part of the USA.

If you doubt the numbers or situations I've provided - go to the sites and run the numbers for yourself! That is what I did with the posters examples from Minn and Ala.
    In both cases there were extenuating circumstances that I am pretty sure will disappear within the year. Regional Rates or something like that?? Cant remember

a) A self employed couple from Fla each between 55-60. Non smokers and no children living at home.
    b) Self employed couple between 21-30 the male of the couple smokes - they have one child. Live in Fla. They were paying $1200 a month

Do your own leg work - then you will know what you are talking about
    I've done the leg work. It is what I do for a living every day. Our life health dept has about 200 years of experience between our top few guys. I have found it hilarious that you think you know what is happening, when it's obvious to everyone else what's reality.

BIL just posted his letter for his Aca compliant rate on Instagram ...up to 450 from 180 a month. Deductible up as well. But those numbers aren't real right? Obviously doesn't understand it right ?
    Last edited by Tapate50; 10-12-2013 at 06:52 AM.