Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to next year with this years progress so far..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

Looking to next year with this years progress so far..

With how Riley’s play has picked up where he left off to end last season and how Soroka has dominated so far just like last year and Swanson has really turned the corner along with Folty and possibly Newcomb, next year looks to be the year we could be serious contenders. If 3b is fixed in house with Riley and the rotation is looking fine with options of Soroka, Folty, Gohara, Newcomb, Teheran, McCarthy, and possibly Wright the team is looking to not have many holes. With around 60 million to spend and possibly more if Teheran is dealt what would you do to give us a big time LF’er and to solidify the bullpen and bench?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    With how Riley’s play has picked up where he left off to end last season and how Soroka has dominated so far just like last year and Swanson has really turned the corner along with Folty and possibly Newcomb, next year looks to be the year we could be serious contenders. If 3b is fixed in house with Riley and the rotation is looking fine with options of Soroka, Folty, Gohara, Newcomb, Teheran, McCarthy, and possibly Wright the team is looking to not have many holes. With around 60 million to spend and possibly more if Teheran is dealt what would you do to give us a big time LF’er and to solidify the bullpen and bench?
    2019 could shape up to be a 95+ win year with the right FA addition (*cough* Harper *cough*).

However, I'm just loving 2018 and don't want to take any focus away from what could be a playoff year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (04-20-2018), VirginiaBrave (04-20-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Heyman had a good write up yesterday ranking the free agents this offseason: https://t.co/3FxZ72B0kX

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-20-2018), Super (04-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    2019 could shape up to be a 95+ win year with the right FA addition (*cough* Harper *cough*).

However, I'm just loving 2018 and don't want to take any focus away from what could be a playoff year.
    I’ve looked at Harper as not a possibility at all but with how Riley and the starters have performed if ownership would approve it I’d make a serious offer for him. At his age he would fit right in with our core and fill the only real hole we may have. I don’t see anybody breaking the 40 million a year mark this offseason but I could see him coming in around 38 per. With how cheap most out guys would be I’d go to 38 million with an opt out after 3-4 year and hope he opted out which I think he would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’ve looked at Harper as not a possibility at all but with how Riley and the starters have performed if ownership would approve it I’d make a serious offer for him. At his age he would fit right in with our core and fill the only real hole we may have. I don’t see anybody breaking the 40 million a year mark this offseason but I could see him coming in around 38 per. With how cheap most out guys would be I’d go to 38 million with an opt out after 3-4 year and hope he opted out which I think he would.
    We EASILY have the money to sign Harper with room leftover. It makes too much sense.

We are going to be an attractive team with the youth and performance. If the Braves come in at the number I think this year ~86 wins then all of a sudden we are the darlings for prognosticators next season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    We will upgrade LF but it won't be Harper. I'd look to a productive corner OF on an expiring contract that a need needs to unload.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We will upgrade LF but it won't be Harper. I'd look to a productive corner OF on an expiring contract that a need needs to unload.
    I think its fair to make the argument Harper won't sign with Atlanta but I don't think its right to dismiss the possibility. It fits - Especially a front loaded contract with a player option after the third year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I know the Riley optimism is growing and I’m not trying to be the wet blanket, but he’s riding a .500 Babip this year.

The good news is the front office has all season to evaluate him. If his bat is real and there’s a better 3B option available, I’d be willing to move Riley to the outfield.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I wonder if Pollock would be a fit for LF. Probably will get too much money. There isn't much outside the known guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I wonder if Pollock would be a fit for LF. Probably will get too much money. There isn't much outside the known guys.
    I like Pollock but I would like to see some right handed power on the team.
    Get off my lawn!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Super (04-20-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    What are the chances we go after Kimbrel to strengthen the back end of the bullpen? That'd allow Minter to stay in the set up role.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think its fair to make the argument Harper won't sign with Atlanta but I don't think its right to dismiss the possibility. It fits - Especially a front loaded contract with a player option after the third year.
    The three premium free agents are all great fits for the Braves needs: Harper, Machado, Kershaw.

Harper is probably the best fit with the least amount of risk.

Machado is similar to Harper, but not quite as good a fit.

Kershaw is probably the guy with the most potential to turn them into a true contender, but carries the most risk.

Beyond those three, I'd argue the free agent market isn't very attractive. There are a lot of aging guys who could help you, but given how everyone geared up for this offseason, there is likely to be a lot of money needing to be spent and I'm thinking it will not be a year for bargains.

With all that said, every team in baseball can see plain enough that Harper is an MVP candidate who will start his new contract at Age 26 and know how rare that is on the market. Someone is going to give him the moon and it is sort of hard to see Atlanta being that someone.

Someone will overpay for the best pitcher in baseball and it's hard to see Atlanta being that someone.

Machado might be comparatively cheap except there are big players with needs on that side of the infield, like the Yankees, who do not necessarily need to be in the Harper sweepstakes.

as much as I'd like to see the Braves make a splash, it seems like they are most likely to end up on the lower end of the free agent market.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    What are the chances we go after Kimbrel to strengthen the back end of the bullpen? That'd allow Minter to stay in the set up role.

How cool would it be if the Braves signed Harper and Kimbrell and traded for a #1 starter? They could probably just about fit that in their budget for three years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I know the Riley optimism is growing and I’m not trying to be the wet blanket, but he’s riding a .500 Babip this year.

The good news is the front office has all season to evaluate him. If his bat is real and there’s a better 3B option available, I’d be willing to move Riley to the outfield.
    Yeah, the BABIP is high, but riley can hit. His ST ops was .908 while barely hitting over .200; the power is real

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The three premium free agents are all great fits for the Braves needs: Harper, Machado, Kershaw.

Kershaw is probably the guy with the most potential to turn them into a true contender, but carries the most risk.

Beyond those three, I'd argue the free agent market isn't very attractive. There are a lot of aging guys who could help you, but given how everyone geared up for this offseason, there is likely to be a lot of money needing to be spent and I'm thinking it will not be a year for bargains.

With all that said, every team in baseball can see plain enough that Harper is an MVP candidate who will start his new contract at Age 26 and know how rare that is on the market. Someone is going to give him the moon and it is sort of hard to see Atlanta being that someone.

Someone will overpay for the best pitcher in baseball and it's hard to see Atlanta being that someone.

Machado might be comparatively cheap except there are big players with needs on that side of the infield, like the Yankees, who do not necessarily need to be in the Harper sweepstakes.

as much as I'd like to see the Braves make a splash, it seems like they are most likely to end up on the lower end of the free agent market.

Unless Swanson has a big year, and we use him to get a number 1 starter
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I think the Braves have secretly planned for 2019 all along while paying lip service to their fans to make sure attendance wasn't awful in 17/18. The money is there and STP is generating much more revenue then they had before.

A move like Harper can increase your attendance 10-20% because you are essentially guaranteeing at 94+ win team.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    I think the Braves have secretly planned for 2019 all along while paying lip service to their fans to make sure attendance wasn't awful in 17/18. The money is there and STP is generating much more revenue then they had before.

A move like Harper can increase your attendance 10-20% because you are essentially guaranteeing at 94+ win team.
    It would be interesting how Atlanta fans would react....we really haven't had a superstar player like a Harper in the city....
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

What? So you are saying since 2 years ago everything is going as planned. The secret plan. Not the ones we have heard in reports.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    What has happened here. I know it is 4/20. But wow. So now we are getting Harper, Kimbrel and Kershaw
    Coppy

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Unless Swanson has a big year, and we use him to get a number 1 starter
    I'm not sure what Swanson's value would be. His career has been pretty weird. What will teams make of it? But that's an idea. Trading him or Riley in the package for the #1 starter you need to go get if you are going to make that big a signing.