Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Mets @ Braves game 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    In game decisions by managers are overemphasized by fans. Snit's no bench strategist but when half your pen sucks, you gotta pitch some bad guys.

Bigger issue is the offense checking out against their very mediocre pen.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-21-2018), Runnin (04-20-2018)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    4 hours wasted on this BS.

I could have been out and done things with my kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    In game decisions by managers are overemphasized by fans. Snit's no bench strategist but when half your pen sucks, you gotta pitch some bad guys.

Bigger issue is the offense checking out against their very mediocre pen.
    Biddle and Moylan were available. Ravin is not an mlb pitcher. Biddle still hasn't pitched, so who knows? Snit was just ready to take him old ass to sleep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe, but Ravin was a mathematical certainty
    I’m not gonna lie...I’ve never heard of that MFer until tonight...and I’ve been keeping up with news releases recently too.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    The bullpen has 5 good pitchers, even if they walk too many. An unknown in Biddle, and then two bad pitchers.

There's a reason I've been crying about reinforcements with the bench, too. There's a lot of good talent on the team but shallow depth, the team can't play long extra inning sessions with it working out well.

It's like half a good team and half a very bad team.
    Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 04-20-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Last night with huge lead, snit uses a proven mlb reliever. Extra tonight, he tries to get 2 innings out of an MiLB reliever. Great job, snit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-22-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    4 hours wasted on this BS.

I could have been out and done things with my kids.
    I don’t even have kids, but that’s partially why I rarely watch games anymore.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    The bullpen has 5 good pitchers, even if they walk too many. An unknown in Biddle, and then two bad pitchers.

There's a reason I've been crying about reinforcements with the bench, too. There's a lot of good talent on the team but shallow depth, the team can't play long extra inning sessions with it working out well.

It's like half a good team and half a very bad team.
    The rotation is pretty solid, the starting 8 in the lineup is good, Winkler/Viz/Minter/Carle in the pen are good, minus that is where the flaws in the team get exposed. Bullpen doesnt have much depth, and the bench is awful.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Bench and bullpen depth should improve a good bit in the next couple weeks with Flowers, Acuna, Gohara, and Sanchez making their way on to the roster. Sounds like AA doesn't think Soroka is too far off either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Great game and a LOT to be excited about for Braves fans. The Mets are one of the best and hottest teams in the NL and we are showing we're right there with them.

It was a tough loss but cut Snit some slack on the bullpen management. Fans think every game should be managed like it's the 7th game of the WS. At this point in the season he should be spreading the innings around. There are 2 more games with the Mets and they are likely to be close as well.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Great game and a LOT to be excited about for Braves fans. The Mets are one of the best and hottest teams in the NL and we are showing we're right there with them.

It was a tough loss but cut Snit some slack on the bullpen management. Fans think every game should be managed like it's the 7th game of the WS. At this point in the season he should be spreading the innings around. There are 2 more games with the Mets and they are likely to be close as well.
    Just frustrated that we aren't giving biddle a shot at all. The last 2 nights had perfect opportunities: big lead Thursday night in 9th and 12th last night with pitcher leading off and conforto after him. Biddle may be garbage, but we know Ravin is. We need another LH reliever... why not see what biddle has?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Biddle and Moylan were available. Ravin is not an mlb pitcher. Biddle still hasn't pitched, so who knows? Snit was just ready to take him old ass to sleep.
    One thing that is generally being missed here is a manager, especially during the regular season, shouldn't manage just to maximize our chances of winning one particular game.

The way our pen is constructed, we have two guys (Ravin and Biddle) who have recently gone multiple innings (in AAA). I think part of the plan with the pen should be to only burn one per game. If possible. If you have a 15+ inning game obviously everything goes out the window. But I don't have a problem with Snitker trying to get that second inning out of Ravin last night at that point in the game.

It leaves us in a position where Biddle can go multiple innings if necessary tonight.

As an aside, it is worth noting that Sims' meltdown the night before necessitated bringing in Sam Freeman. Snit didn't use Freeman last night. He could have. But I'm glad he is taking it easy on him after the very heavy usage he's gone through so far in April. If Sims hadn't melted down, Freeman and/or Moylan would have been brought in during the 12th inning last night. That's the way it goes sometimes. A manager has to manage the pen with the whole season in mind.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-21-2018 at 08:16 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (04-21-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-21-2018), Runnin (04-21-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    As a manager you use the guys you have. That’s AA’s fault bringing A guy up that will get lit up. If you feel like you can’t depend on ANY one guy in the bull pen...he has no business being on the roster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    As a manager you use the guys you have. That’s AA’s fault bringing A guy up that will get lit up. If you feel like you can’t depend on ANY one guy in the bull pen...he has no business being on the roster.
    Well most teams have one guy in the pen who is literally a sacrificial lamb to be used when a game gets out of hand and the more valuable arms need to be saved. Nothing wrong with that. Just reflects the fact that the supply of major league quality arms is limited.

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Remember when it was crazy to say Albies had power?
    Remember when you always give me **** for posts like this?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Well most teams have one guy in the pen who is literally a sacrificial lamb to be used when a game gets out of hand and the more valuable arms need to be saved. Nothing wrong with that. Just reflects the fact that the supply of major league quality arms is limited.
    I don’t agree. Ravin is AA’s “guy”. We have plenty of other options. He cut Akeel Morris for example. A much better option if you ask me. That is AA’s decision. We have a four game series and Snit has to keep that in mind burning thru every option in game 2. I don’t like Ravin, but if he is in the pen and it’s the 12th inning...I don’t fault Snit for using him....if you can’t use a guy like that in the 12th inning...he has no business being there. Perform or go get on the AAA bus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I don’t agree. Ravin is AA’s “guy”. We have plenty of other options. He cut Akeel Morris for example. A much better option if you ask me. That is AA’s decision. We have a four game series and Snit has to keep that in mind burning thru every option in game 2. I don’t like Ravin, but if he is in the pen and it’s the 12th inning...I don’t fault Snit for using him....if you can’t use a guy like that in the 12th inning...he has no business being there. Perform or go get on the AAA bus.
    Ah the great Akeel Morris. Who is he pitching for right now? How did he do in his one major league appearance this year? I agree with the last sentence of your post. And so does Akeel's new team apparently.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Remember when you always give me **** for posts like this?
    Thats looking back to trades from multiple years ago and has been debated only 12389734983470923847 times. The ablies thing was a couple of months back.

But, you have a point.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I'm dissapointed with the Braves management in regards to Freeman. Even before he got it I suspected something was wrong. Freeman wasn't driving the ball into the LC gap and he certainly wasn't turning on any pitches with power. He should be put on the 10 day DL IMO. I don't care about the wins and losses and think our pitching can guide us to a 500 record.

Just call up Acuna and put either Tucker/Markakis/Flahrety at first.

Freemans health is more important than any of this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Ah the great Akeel Morris. Who is he pitching for right now? How did he do in his one major league appearance this year? I agree with the last sentence of your post. And so does Akeel's new team apparently.
    Oh I never loved me some Morris like some guys, just saying we have had/do have other options. I “would” have kept Morris over Ravin. My point being, Ravin has under performed but keeps getting more opportunities than most guys like say Morris because he is AA’s pet project. He should have been cut..just like Morris.

BUT he was an option given, so as a manager goes..I don’t fault Snit for using him in that situation.