Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MINORS FINAL SATURDAY 4/21/18: Transactions posted, updated

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I’m really not following what you mean by this.
    There are some promotions that have been stupid, but I'm honestly going to get pretty mad if the Braves start to go on the end of the Pirates like being overly cautious with the new regime. There's an in the middle here.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Simple, it becomes incredibly stupid if you look up, it's mid June, and Riley is still hitting .350+.

And no, the guys that have been there for more than one season are mainly the cat is out of the bag guys that AA can't really put his fingerprints on too much.
    What do you mean the cat is out of the bag? We aren’t hiding guys. The question is what is best for the player and the team.

If he’s hitting 350 in double a that is great. There is nothing to prove in aaa. The only reason to get him out of as is to get him into a ballpark and league more conducive to hrs.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    What do you mean the cat is out of the bag? We aren’t hiding guys. The question is what is best for the player and the team.

If he’s hitting 350 in double a that is great. There is nothing to prove in aaa. The only reason to get him out of as is to get him into a ballpark and league more conducive to hrs.
    It's clear, I mean the cases that are too late for AA to put his fingerprints down of what he truly wants to happen with them.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    It's clear, I mean the cases that are too late for AA to put his fingerprints down of what he truly wants to happen with them.
    That’s ridiculous

He is already doing it. If coppy is here acuna is up and comargo would be the everyday 3b.

Aa can trade him tomorrow. He can have him repeat next year.

He is in charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Is there any performance level that you would set to promote Riley by July?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Some of this tends to be dictated by how the player's team is doing, along with what's happening at the same respective position at levels above and below. If the AA team is fighting for their playoffs, and Ruiz is showing any semblances at Gwinnett, maybe they think about leaving Riley at AA regardless of his performance—especially since there aren't any 3B prospects pushing up from below.

Having said that: if Riley's hitting .350+ with 20+ doubles and 10+ homers by July, I think it'd make sense to bring him to AAA, irrespective of other considerations, given he did see PA in AA last season, as well. Or if his slash numbers regress to something more in line with his 2017 performance in AA (which is a much likelier scenario), but he shows improvement in his k% and bb%—say, the former down at 20% or below, and the latter up over 10%—then I think his performance would likely merit a call-up to AAA, depending on some of those other contexts and factors aforementioned.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Some of this tends to be dictated by how the player's team is doing, along with what's happening at the same respective position at levels above and below. If the AA team is fighting for their playoffs, and Ruiz is showing any semblances at Gwinnett, maybe they think about leaving Riley at AA regardless of his performance—especially since there aren't any 3B prospects pushing up from below.

Having said that: if Riley's hitting .350+ with 20+ doubles and 10+ homers by July, I think it'd make sense to bring him to AAA, irrespective of other considerations, given he did see PA in AA last season, as well. Or if his slash numbers regress to something more in line with his 2017 performance in AA (which is a much likelier scenario), but he shows improvement in his k% and bb%—say, the former down at 20% or below, and the latter up over 10%—then I think his performance would likely merit a call-up to AAA, depending on some of those other contexts and factors aforementioned.
    Agreed. I'm not into rushing him but if the player is showing the challenge isn't there then you have to promote

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    No

Give me a full year in a setting

Full year in aa vs aaa time has no difference for me regarding his mlb timetable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No

Give me a full year in a setting

Full year in aa vs aaa time has no difference for me regarding his mlb timetable
    I'd rather Riley see more time at AAA and the junk ballers that understand pitch sequencing and have more command.

Riley might see 2 major league pitchers a week at AA. He will see more at AAA.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd rather Riley see more time at AAA and the junk ballers that understand pitch sequencing and have more command.

Riley might see 2 major league pitchers a week at AA. He will see more at AAA.
    Based on what? You’d have to scout the league.

Most teams stud pitchers are in aa. His issue is supposed to be elite velocity not junk ballers.

I’d prefer he hit vs top 100 guys and high ceiling guys than sims wisler Blair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts

Most teams stud pitchers are in aa. His issue is supposed to be elite velocity not junk ballers.

Soroka and allard... gohara and Newcomb last season

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

I'm with thethe on this. I think the book, ten-plus years ago, was that top prospects didn't "need" AAA, because that league was mostly filled with non-elite prospects, fringey MLB guys, and career quadists. But I think we've come back around from that now, and most teams give their elite guys some time in AAA—realizing, I think, that the average rotation in AA might have younger, harder throwers, but that it's useful for a developing hitter to accrue some PAs against guys who have more advanced understanding and deployment of sequencing, better control, et cetera. Ditto for pitching prospects facing fringe and AAAA hitters who have a better idea of what they're doing at the plate, even if they aren't top-shelf prospects or major-league caliber starters. One effect is that an elite guy's also going to face more fellow elite guys cycling through AAA.
    Last edited by jpx7; 04-22-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Soroka and allard... gohara and Newcomb last season
    That’s the braves. The team that went all in on pitchers and was not trying to win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'm with thethe on this. I think the book, ten-plus years ago, was that top prospects didn't "need" AAA, because that league was mostly filled with non-elite prospects, fringey MLB guys, and career quadists. But I think we've come back around from that now, and most teams give their elite guys some time in AAA—realizing, I think, that the average rotation in AA might have younger, harder throwers, but that it's useful for a developing hitter to accrue some PAs against guys who have more advanced understanding and deployment of sequencing, better control, et cetera. Ditto for pitching prospects facing fringe and AAAA hitters who have a better idea of what they're doing at the plate, even if they aren't top-shelf prospects or major-league caliber starters. One effect is that an elite guy's also going to face more fellow elite guys cycling through AAA.
    He will get aaa next yr

Even if he’s great he’ll get a month in aaa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    He will get aaa next yr

Even if he’s great he’ll get a month in aaa
    I'm just confused why you are so against riley getting promoted if he is dominating AA for another couple of months. Probably 90% of the pitchers he faces in AA are trash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm just confused why you are so against riley getting promoted if he is dominating AA for another couple of months. Probably 90% of the pitchers he faces in AA are trash.
    You just made up a number

I’m against it bc he’s 21. He has had legit struggles. He got promoted to as last year without earning it. He was hot and still is.

I think there is value in doing a full year. Everyone here wants to promote you off a hot month.

We should not be urging 21 and 22 yo into mlb. Braves should be more conservative and get guys up 23 and 24. That extra year of prime is important. Helps for negotiations for extensions.

Coppy ruined y’all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You just made up a number

I’m against it bc he’s 21. He has had legit struggles. He got promoted to as last year without earning it. He was hot and still is.

I think there is value in doing a full year. Everyone here wants to promote you off a hot month.

We should not be urging 21 and 22 yo into mlb. Braves should be more conservative and get guys up 23 and 24. That extra year of prime is important. Helps for negotiations for extensions.

Coppy ruined y’all
    Do you disagree with the amount of talented pitchers IN AA? How many guys that are pitching in southern league at any point in time are going to make the major leagues? 90% trash might be conservative.

Basically you're admitting the decision you are making is solely on control/money. That's a mistake. It should be a mix. Riley should be promoted to AAA mid season (if excelling) because he earned it. Them you let him start next year in AAA until the super 2 deadline. You can't just artificially hold these guys down just to benefit the organization financially.

This also has an impact in the reputation of organizations. Why would amateur sign with the braves if they think they will be petty about serve time to the extremes you're proposing.

Riley is going to be up on 2019. Not sure when but it's going to happen. Need to get him as much time as possible in AAA against advanced pitchers before that happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Do you disagree with the amount of talented pitchers IN AA? How many guys that are pitching in southern league at any point in time are going to make the major leagues? 90% trash might be conservative.

Basically you're admitting the decision you are making is solely on control/money. That's a mistake. It should be a mix. Riley should be promoted to AAA mid season (if excelling) because he earned it. Them you let him start next year in AAA until the super 2 deadline. You can't just artificially hold these guys down just to benefit the organization financially.

This also has an impact in the reputation of organizations. Why would amateur sign with the braves if they think they will be petty about serve time to the extremes you're proposing.

Riley is going to be up on 2019. Not sure when but it's going to happen. Need to get him as much time as possible in AAA against advanced pitchers before that happens.
    I think there are better pitchers with better stuff in aa

I would submit that for a particular year you’d have to look at the teams in each league to judge

I would think in aaa you might see better relief pitching

By calling them 90 percent trash based on mlb potential then that is most of the minor leagues

I think it is useful to have longevity in a place. I don’t see aaa as a step up from aa.

In the braves case the big difference is in aaa he probably has more hrs

The industry isn’t half as high on Riley as this board is. Even talking chop isn’t that high on him.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    As my sig says, I prefer a middle ground between aggressive and stupid and overly cautious, like a Pittsburgh.

I'll be honest, I didn't buy Riley before he went to AA and did think that it was a very stupid promotion (even stupider than Acuna before the absolute explosion...oops) but the longer he goes the more for me, it becomes keeping someone at X place just for the sake of it.

We're not there yet, for all we know he could break his wrist and be out for a couple of months, but if he's hitting .350+ in mid June or goes back to what he was doing last year and lowers his K rate/keeps a good walk rate, I'm sorry but we're on the end of being ridiculously cautious.

That's all I mean.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-22-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Regarding Riley, i mean, if he keeps hitting like this for another month or so, you probably have no choice but to bump him up to Triple A.

Then pull an Acuna and keep him down next year until the Super-2 deadline. Cant just keep a player down because of salary/control, if they're ready, they're ready.