Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    He will get aaa next yr

Even if he’s great he’ll get a month in aaa
    I'm not one of the folks who think it'll be some huge dereliction of duty if Riley isn't in AAA by the end of the year, the starting 3B in 2019, et cetera. If performance dictates, I think it'd be fine for him to stay in AA all season. But I also think (a) there are parameters under which it'd be prudent, on 1 July, to move him up (.900 OPS, bb%>10, k%<20), and (b) that he will benefit enough from AAA that "he'll get a month in 2019 even if he's great" is insufficient. He had 203 PA in AA last season, he has 62 now in 2018, and by 1 July he'll hopefully (barring injury) have accrued another ~200, giving him over 450 PA in AA—or almost a season's worth. I think that's both a sufficient number, if he's performing well and meeting parameters, and it's likewise around the number I'd like to see him accrue in AAA (which he'd be near if he spends July/August 2018 and the first two-to-three months of 2019 in Gwinnett).

You can say, "Coppy ruined y’all", but these aren't unreasonable time-lines for high-performing prospects (and, again, Riley will need to keep performing highly, or this is all moot). The previous regime would've likely already had Riley in AAA, and would be thinking about a mid-season 2018 call-up to Cobb County—which is obviously ludicrous. But the new regime shouldn't hypercorrect its course because of the previous regime's inanity.
    Last edited by jpx7; 04-22-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Regarding Riley, i mean, if he keeps hitting like this for another month or so, you probably have no choice but to bump him up to Triple A.

Then pull an Acuna and keep him down next year until the Super-2 deadline. Cant just keep a player down because of salary/control, if they're ready, they're ready.
    Recall Swanson was rushed
    Swanson was older two years ago than riley will be next year
    Swanson played at the highest level in college
    Swanson was ranked higher across the board

I’d rather call them up late than early

I’d rather trade vets a year early than a year late

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts

Yep, Swanson could've used some AAA ABs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I'm not one of the folks who think it'll be some huge dereliction of duty if Riley isn't in AAA by the end of the year, the starting 3B in 2019, et cetera. If performance dictates, I think it'd be fine for him to stay in AA all season. But I also think (a) there are parameters under which it'd be prudent, on 1 July, to move him up (.900 OPS, bb%>10, k%<20), and (b) that he will benefit enough from AAA that "he'll get a month in 2019 even if he's great" is insufficient. He had 203 PA in AA last season, he has 62 now in 2018, and by 1 July he'll hopefully (barring injury) have accrued another ~200, giving him over 450 PA in AA—or almost a season's worth. I think that's both a sufficient number, if he's performing well and meeting parameters, and it's likewise around the number I'd like to see him accrue in AAA (which he'd be near if he spends July/August 2018 and the first two-to-three months of 2019 in Gwinnett).

You can say, "Coppy ruined y’all", but these aren't unreasonable time-lines for high-performing prospects (and, again, Riley will need to keep performing highly, or this is all moot). The previous regime would've likely already had Riley in AAA, and would be thinking about a mid-season 2018 call-up to Cobb County—which is obviously ludicrous. But the new regime shouldn't hypercorrect its course because of the previous regime's inanity.
    A level a year is not hypercorrection

A level a year is fast for a hs product who is doing really well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yep, Swanson could've used some AAA ABs
    Clever

No. He needed more at bats. He needed to be raking and pounding down the door to be called up

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

I agree Swanson was rushed, and even Albies to a lesser extent.

IF, IF i say IF Riley keeps pounding the **** out of the ball in Double A, i dont think it's a bad thing if he gets promoted to Triple A Gwinnett. He'd have more than a large enough sample size for him to come up, as long as they dont stupidly call him up in September to hurt his clock.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    A level a year is not hypercorrection

A level a year is fast for a hs product who is doing really well
    As I said: by 1 July, barring injury, Riley will have accrued about a season's worth of PAs in AA, because of his time there in 2017. That is exactly in line with the "level a year" thinking. You're clutching to this "level a year" concept as if "calendar year" is what matters, when the issue is really "season's worth of PAs".

If he's still performing really well, and meeting those parameters I outlined—which, I should probably admit, I'm skeptical will actually happen—then it's hardly rushing him to move him up to AAA. A level per year for a high-pedigree high-school draftee performing at a high level and showing progress in key areas is really not especially fast.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think its never a bad thing to leave a prospect in place long enough to see whether a second time around the league will start showing some holes. If he gets a good sample and isn't being challenged then sure, move him up to face a difference challenge in AAA. I do think most prospects should spend a reasonably significant time in AAA as well. It's an interesting mix of MLB players, former MLB players, and future MLB players. I don't necessarily agree that AA has more talent.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Riley should spent most of 2018 in AA. If he keeps hitting he could go to AAA towards the end of the year depending on if either team is in a playoff situation to get him exposure there. There is no rush here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-23-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Riley should spent most of 2018 in AA. If he keeps hitting he could go to AAA towards the end of the year depending on if either team is in a playoff situation to get him exposure there. There is no rush here.
    totally agree with this. maximize his at bats. probably AFL too.