Thread: Marty Reed needs to go

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

Marty Reed needs to go

as well as Hernandez. Reed, the BP coach, is obviously not in the game. It is his job to insure BP arms are ready to enter the game. Making sure they are able to throw ALL of their pitches for strikes on any given night. It is also his job to make sure the pitchers are of proper mind set to enter the game. If Hernandez calls for a specific thrower to be ready to come in the game, Reed is the one to communicate IF that pitcher is throwing free and easy and throwing strikes.

Of course, because Reed works for Hernandez, Hernandez is the one who dictates throwing programs and conditioning. He has failed with all of the Braves throwers. Sanchez has done more to get Teheran back on track, as well as Wisler, than Hernandez could even dream about doing. Hernandez has had only 1 season out of 2+ decades as PC, that one could say was a good season. Unfortunately, he is given credit because the Tigers had an upstart rookie that year who carried the Tigers staff.

Fire both of these jerks today. If Snitckers won't do it, fire his ass also. He even admits to abusing Sam Freeman by using him in 14 of 21 games.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (04-24-2018), jpx7 (04-24-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Chuck is not done. He has the Braves up to 5+ BB/9 so far this year. His goal is the magical 7.1 that he achieved in his career.

as usual, Chuckie has regressed a pitching staff. I don't agree with OP on this however... ultimately it is the head pitching coaches job to set programs, do analysis and set game plans to help all his pitchers under him to be the best they can be. Reed can only do what he is told.. he has to follow the system Chuckie put in place.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Wut?

I’m pretty sure the BP coach’s only job is to communicate who the manager wants to warm up. Random ass thread.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Wut?

I’m pretty sure the BP coach’s only job is to communicate who the manager wants to warm up. Random ass thread.
    Wrong. The BP coach obviously holds meditation sessions before the game to get all the BP arms focused. Then when it's time for them to enter the game, he is responsible for screaming in their faces to get them pumped up. He will bite the head off a pigeon in a fit of rage if needed.

Further, if he notices the pitcher is a bit wild while throwing 15 warm up tosses, he must be able to fix any and all mechanical issues within 4-5 pitches on the BP mound.

This guy...this Marty Reed...obviously can't do his job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Wrong. The BP coach obviously holds meditation sessions before the game to get all the BP arms focused. Then when it's time for them to enter the game, he is responsible for screaming in their faces to get them pumped up. He will bite the head off a pigeon in a fit of rage if needed.

Further, if he notices the pitcher is a bit wild while throwing 15 warm up tosses, he must be able to fix any and all mechanical issues within 4-5 pitches on the BP mound.

This guy...this Marty Reed...obviously can't do his job.
    Bobby Dews was a master motivator. He got offered the HC position at Alabama, but turned it down because bullpen coaches make more.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Also when he determines a pitcher is wild and can’t be fixed he doesn’t allow them to come in game. Instead sends out another guy who didn’t warm up. We Shaw that with Milner already this year. Fallies BP coach balling.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Bobby Dews was a master motivator. He got offered the HC position at Alabama, but turned it down because bullpen coaches make more.
    And do less
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Dews was in the squat catching MLB pitchers in the BP at the age of 67.

That would fire me up and make me feel like a wimp for saying anything was sore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    And do less
    You saw what ‘scheff posted. BP coach is one of the most stressful jobs in the country.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Or may be our BP is full of a bunch of has beens and never was (was's???). It's a miracle the BP has performed as well as it has up to point.

And despite my gripes with the Hernandez, the rotation has been pretty dang good so far. Folty looks like he may be taking that next step. Newk and JT are showing big improvement. I don't put much stock into Sanchez or McCarthy since they are vets (and Sanchez has only 2 starts).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Or may be our BP is full of a bunch of has beens and never was (was's???). It's a miracle the BP has performed as well as it has up to point.

And despite my gripes with the Hernandez, the rotation has been pretty dang good so far. Folty looks like he may be taking that next step. Newk and JT are showing big improvement. I don't put much stock into Sanchez or McCarthy since they are vets (and Sanchez has only 2 starts).
    It’s true that the rotation has exceeded expectations up to this point, and it may ironically be the strength of this team. But, the great thing about Mazzone and McDowell was their ability to turn those has-beens and never was into viable relievers. I’m not sure if that’s what we should expect in a pitching coach, or we’ve just been spoiled.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    All of our starters have had a lot of innings to fail. You would hope guys could get better on experience alone.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I’m convinced that 90% of coaching positions exist to provide insulation for players and GM’s against the ire of fans.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think one of the reasons Dews turned down that job may have been the support he received from Bobby Cox for helping him kick the booze in the 1980s. If you're a recovering alcoholic, you need a support system and my guess is Dews felt his best network of support was in Atlanta.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    It’s true that the rotation has exceeded expectations up to this point, and it may ironically be the strength of this team. But, the great thing about Mazzone and McDowell was their ability to turn those has-beens and never was into viable relievers. I’m not sure if that’s what we should expect in a pitching coach, or we’ve just been spoiled.
    To be fair, it's also possible the added use of analytics has helped guys the young guys to turn the corner, which likely wouldn't be attributable to Hernandez if that was the case. The info Enscheff shared about Wisler was interesting.