Thread: Why did Bobby Cox retire?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mrs. Meta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts

Why did Bobby Cox retire?

Was he just kinda done in 2010?

I ask cuz I (I think) remember some rumor that Frank Wren was gonna force him out either way. I assume this isn't true, and would much appreciate y'alls clarification on this. Thank ya!
    "Water seeks its own level, and that will be the case with Francoeur." ~50PoundHead

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Because he didn’t want to tarnish his image of being a good manager after his hall of famers had all left.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Because he didn’t want to tarnish his image of being a good manager after his hall of famers had all left.
    LOL, did you see the team he won 91 games with in 2010? What about the teams he won the division with in ‘04 and ‘05? After Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, he did nothing but validate his reputation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (04-25-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Because he was old

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-25-2018), Runnin (04-25-2018)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Meta View Post
    Was he just kinda done in 2010?

I ask cuz I (I think) remember some rumor that Frank Wren was gonna force him out either way. I assume this isn't true, and would much appreciate y'alls clarification on this. Thank ya!
    Wren wouldn't force Cox out for Fredi Gonzalez. If Wren had that much control we never would have had Fredi Gonzalez come in.

I'm pretty sure Cox leaving had a lot to do with just being old. He was 69 when he retired.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Wren wouldn't force Cox out for Fredi Gonzalez. If Wren had that much control we never would have had Fredi Gonzalez come in.

I'm pretty sure Cox leaving had a lot to do with just being old. He was 69 when he retired.
    Of course, he could have detested Wren so much he decided to just call it quits. I’m sure thethe will cook up something like that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Of course, he could have detested Wren so much he decided to just call it quits. I’m sure thethe will cook up something like that.
    Wren forced Cox to retire and then forced the fanbase to watch Fredi manage the team. Horrible GM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    LOL, did you see the team he won 91 games with in 2010? What about the teams he won the division with in ‘04 and ‘05? After Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, he did nothing but validate his reputation.
    04 and 10 were pretty good teams. 04 had Drew, Jones, Jones, Furcal, Giles before he fully fell apart, an effective LaRoche/Julio platoon. And of course surprise it's the one good season of Johnny Estrada's career. Pitching was a little more harrowing, that's for sure as for starters it was basically Wright and Thomson. Thomson was an undervalued pitcher in Colorado and Texas, he was very solid for his era but his ERA never really matched his peripherals. Wright was the best creation from Cox/Mazzone. They took someone with great raw ability and got him to perform more consistently. 2010 was a great team. Pre-arm break down Hanson, pre-face bust Heyward, Wagner/Venters/Saito shutting everything down in the pen. Prado at peak form, Mac at peak form, Infante at peak form. Really the only ****s on the team were Melky and McLouth. If McLouth hadn't just magically forgotten how to play baseball when he was traded here, or if Melky just took his roids one year sooner, the 2010 team would have really been epic.

People forget that 2010-2013 or so were all supposed to be great years. Braves had a lot of players coming up and the vets were all guys in their mid-late 20s. Aside from Chipper, Lowe, and Hudson we didn't have many old starters. Most of our starters were younger. THat being said, Fredi is not a good manager, and that was obvious.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I didn't think he was a good baseball coach at all, 14 pennants and only 1 WS, says it all.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    I didn't think he was a good baseball coach at all, 14 pennants and only 1 WS, says it all.
    Managers don't win games in baseball, players do. Managers are there to manage personalities. Totally different than football and basketball.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Managers don't win games in baseball, players do. Managers are there to manage personalities. Totally different than football and basketball.
    Serious?
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Managers don't win games with their decisions, but they damn sure lose them.

The best ones manage players, as you said, and avoid making dumb ass moves such as leaving the best closer in baseball in the bullpen to watch a scrub serve up a BP fastball to another scrub to end the season.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Serious?
    of course. baseball is a team sport with individual performances. there really is no team work among players like in basketball and football. the closest thing you get is the battery. there are no schemes or rotations to help win games like you see in other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Managers don't win games with their decisions, but they damn sure lose them.

The best ones manage players, as you said, and avoid making dumb ass moves such as leaving the best closer in baseball in the bullpen to watch a scrub serve up a BP fastball to another scrub to end the season.
    Very few managers are bad enough to literally cost you game after game. One of the primary reasons managers are there is as a scapegoat for the GM assembling a horrible team.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings my friend, but he sucked as a baseball coach and I said as much on the Scout board and received my only ban ever because of it by that piece of crap Bill Shanks.

I was tired us winning the 162 season and pissing on the pot in the post season because of him. He sucked, period.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (04-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    But managers can make crucial mistakes that cost games.

Remember when Fredi was platooning Heyward and Reed Johnson?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings my friend, but he sucked as a baseball coach and I said as much on the Scout board and received my only ban ever because of it by that piece of crap Bill Shanks.

I was tired us winning the 162 season and pissing on the pot in the post season because of him. He sucked, period.
    That's not even remotely fair to say. Some managers are better at managing the long game. And over the course of a season the results show it. Cox for example had a knack of knowing when a pitcher didn't have it. I have no other explanation for why no pitcher left the Braves and played better afterwards. Even looking at someone we let go of young enough in Millwood, his best season was as a Brave.

I think the playoff shortcomings came because he did face guys who were tactically better and he faced just flat out better teams. After 96, the Braves didn't have a team very often who was close to a World Series winner aside from luck.

I also think the Braves were hurt because generally their best pitchers weren't power pitchers. And I think generally speaking high leverage situations favor power pitchers.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

my feeling aren't hurt at all. you could be referring to Bobby or anyone else for all I can and my opinion is the same.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    But managers can make crucial mistakes that cost games.

Remember when Fredi was platooning Heyward and Reed Johnson?
    No I don't remember that

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

Cox had A LOT to do with Fredi becoming the replacement, simply because Fredi had been a Cox lieutenant. Plus, Fredi had to get bounced from Florida. Cox called up and put Marlins management on blast, but it should have been obvious who the next Braves manager was going to be.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    162 game season. Bobby was supreme. Playoffs. He was continuely out classed. He was very by the book, use your gut and stay with what got you there kind of manager.
    Coppy

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-25-2018), Braves1976 (04-27-2018), FreemanFan (04-25-2018), VirginiaBrave (04-25-2018)